Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hardware NX Announced for March 2017

Nintendo has confirmed that its next gaming platform, the NX, will be released globally in March 2017.

Source :
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/nintendos-nx-console-will-be-released-in-march-2017

Wonder what this will bring to the table. Personally I think Nintendo are starting to slip. I have a Wii U and with the exception of Mario Kart and the odd Wii party game it never gets used and is just gathering dust. It looks like they have been left behind with publishers shunning them and supermarkets stopping selling the hardware.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: NX Announced for March 2017

I think publishers are shunning them because they are not trying to compete on a hardware level. The innovation made this okay on the first Wii but if they don't release a machine with better specs than the One or PS4 I think they will be fucked.

Will be interesting to see what they announce.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I see they have pushed the new Zelda game back as well so they can release the NX with that as a launch title

Thanks
    Karma Level

As soon as they release a new mario i'll buy it thats for sure

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never understood why they abandoned the Wii style controllers. That's what made the original Wii such a hit. If they could give us a machine with similar specs to it's rivals and original style controllers they could have a big hit again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They didn't abandon the wii-mote, it has always been compatible with the WiiU but it wasn't the direct reason for the Wii's success anyway, Wii Sports was and even Nintendo stated they didnt see the Wii as being a real success due to the very low software to hardware sales ratio. Far too many people bought it and bought no software.

I'm really interested to see what Nintendo do with this generation, they seem almost lost now, I don't see them competing at the spec level and I would be very surprised if the NX has better hardware than the xbone or ps4, but also their 'alternate interface' model seems to be broken now, plus VR is probably going to get a lot of media over the next 12 months.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's got better specs than the one and ps4 and a normal controller and backward compatablility i'd be tempted.

Haven't had a nintendo console for years so there would be lots of games to try out.

Thanks to inspectercoley

jaygo (27th April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    They didn't abandon the wii-mote, it has always been compatible with the WiiU but it wasn't the direct reason for the Wii's success anyway, Wii Sports was and even Nintendo stated they didnt see the Wii as being a real success due to the very low software to hardware sales ratio. Far too many people bought it and bought no software.
    Wii Sports worked because of the Wiimote. If Wii sports was nothing more than a button basher along the lines of Track and Field, it wouldn't have done half as well. I'm sorry but the Wii's success down to people who weren't normally video gamers buying the console on the strength of the control system. With regards to WiiU, they certainly didn't market the system as using the same control system as the Wii. They were all about the new controller with the screen on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Part of the problem is that the folk who used to buy Nintendo are all too old to play them now.
    They have never really made a decent effort at recruiting the next generation. They hardware has always been slightly behind the Sony's or Microsoft's and as games now cost a funk load to produce and market, the games companies decided to cut their ties.

They HAVE to bring out a machine more powerful than the PS4 and XBox One or it will fail on day one. If it does succeed then the danger is that Sony and Microsoft will fast track their next models through and thus the battle begins again.

It's safe to say they own the handheld market, but the DS is ageing now. Innovation has cost them in the past and with Sony covering the VR market, it is not worth committing to that until they know if it will be a success or flop.
    They could bring back cartridges, but they would have to be cartridges that can be 'updated' as we all know games are patched on Day 0 nowadays. That would be a gimmick that would not last long, unless they had backwards compatibility with SNES etc..

Nintendo will always have the 'Games for any Console' card up their sleeve. I think it is only a matter of time before we see it being played. Their current mobile App has 10 million users! We know their software would sell on any system.
    Maybe they should break off and have a software division that makes games for other consoles but keeps the exclusives for their own system? It has been said for years now.. They always produced better games than Sega so would do well until they found their feet again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the past Nintendo couldnt have competed in the high spec league due to the costs involved, but from the financial estimates, Nintendo is still sitting on mountains of cash from the Wii and 3DS so maybe this generation will be different. I still cant see them opting for a plain box + standard controller though, but that configuration really does need to exist in my opinion, with something else in the box to give it a different angle. Plus, they really need to get off their ass with online gaming.

I just can't see Nintendo ever being that competitive, the Wii was a big success but it basically sold itself since it was being talked about everywhere and the handheld market seems to be theirs inherently.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they released a suped-up Super Nintendo, I would be all over that. Those types of games still hold up 20 years later.

Thanks to flumperino

EvilBoB (28th April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree, but licensing of old games is going to be an issue.

We all love a bit of 8bit, just bring it back only with more horse power.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For selfish reasons, I hope they stick to their guns and keep doing what they're doing to honest. I have a PC for all my 'usual' gaming experiences, which can play anything bar the odd Xbox or PS exclusive which I care not about.

So I like having a Ninty machine for the stuff I can't get on PC. Mario, Zelda etc. True, they could ditch hardware and start bringing that stuff out on PC/Xbox/PS4. But then they'd have to conform to the standard controls. Which would make their games, well....standard.

So I couldn't care less if their machines 'fail' or it gathers dust under my telly between releases. As long as I've got my Ninty fix every so often, then I'm happy.
    Last edited by CominAtcha; 29th April 2016 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks to CominAtcha

Ganty (28th April 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

To bring out a new console this quick is a mistake in my opinion. They don't have the software development behind the WiiU and that's left it stagnate with the occasional first party title. Are they trying to say that you buy a games console to play one or two games and then release some new hardware?

Don't get me wrong when the WiiU is being used in my house we all have great fun but the cost of the hardware for playing a handful of titles is plain wrong. Nintendo have always targetted younger and casual gamers - most of whom are not that interested in forking out another few hundred notes every couple of years to play rehashes of the same old Zelda/Mario games.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I feel this console will be make or break for them. Yes they are sitting on a tonne of cash but if this console flops like the last I think they will use their remaining cash on different ventures as they would have clearly had their day console wise.

Just me 2p