Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Bitcoin creator reveals identity

Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto.
    His admission ends years of speculation about who came up with the original ideas underlying the digital cash system.
    Mr Wright has provided technical proof to back up his claim using coins known to be owned by Bitcoin's creator.
    Prominent members of the Bitcoin community and its core development team have also confirmed Mr Wright's claim.
    Signed blocks

Mr Wright has revealed his identity to three media organisations - the BBC, the Economist and GQ.
    At the meeting with the BBC, Mr Wright digitally signed messages using cryptographic keys created during the early days of Bitcoin's development. The keys are inextricably linked to blocks of bitcoins known to have been created or "mined" by Satoshi Nakamoto.
    "These are the blocks used to send 10 bitcoins to Hal Finney in January [2009] as the first bitcoin transaction," said Mr Wright during his demonstration.
    Renowned cryptographer Hal Finney was one of the engineers who helped turn Mr Wright's ideas into the Bitcoin protocol, he said.
    "I was the main part of it, but other people helped me," he said.
    Mr Wright said he planned to release information that would allow others to cryptographically verify that he is Satoshi Nakamoto.
    Jon Matonis, an economist and one of the founding directors of the Bitcoin Foundation, said he was convinced that Mr Wright was who he claimed to be.
    "During the London proof sessions, I had the opportunity to review the relevant data along three distinct lines: cryptographic, social, and technical," he said.
    "It is my firm belief that Craig Wright satisfies all three categories."
    'I want to work'

By going public, Mr Wright hopes to put an end to press speculation about the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto. The New Yorker, Fast Company, Newsweek and many other media organisations have all conducted long investigations seeking Bitcoin's creator and named many different people as candidates.
    In December 2015, two magazines, Wired and Gizmodo, named Mr Wright as a candidate after receiving documents believed to be stolen from him that revealed his involvement with the project.
    Soon after these stories were published, authorities in Australia raided the home of Mr Wright. The Australian Taxation Office said the raid was linked to a long-running investigation into tax payments rather than Bitcoin.
    Questioned about this raid, Mr Wright said he was cooperating fully with the ATO.
    "We have lawyers negotiating with them over how much I have to pay," he said.
    The stories in December have led to many more journalists and others pursuing him and people he knows, he said.
    "There are lots of stories out there that have been made up and I don't like it hurting those people I care about," he said. "I don't want any of them to be impacted by this."
    "I have not done this because it is what I wanted. It's not because of my choice," he said, adding that he had no plans to become the figurehead for bitcoins.
    "I really do not want to be the public face of anything," he said, expressing regret that he had been forced to reveal his identity.
    "I would rather not do it," he said. "I want to work, I want to keep doing what I want to do. I don't want money. I don't want fame. I don't want adoration. I just want to be left alone."
    Bitcoins are now accepted as payment for a vast variety of goods and services - everything from international money transfers to ransoms for data encrypted by computer viruses. There are currently about 15.5 million bitcoins in circulation. Each one is worth about $449 (£306).
    Satoshi Nakamoto is believed to amassed about one million Bitcoins which would give him a net worth, if all were converted to cash, of about $450m.
    What's wrong with the BBC? ..

BBC News

Thanks to Raptor

lagigolo (2nd May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bitcoin creator reveals identity

How would any joe bloggs even know if he was or wasn't.

John Titor he aint! He would be minted surely, and have power over a currency that could take over the modern world... And destroy it, both the world and the currency.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Block chaining is a great technology and I would congratulate him if he did this.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't see what good comes of coming forward as the creator, so there must be another reason.

It was reported he had a Tax problem back home in Oz ..

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he is then reports suggest he has over 1m bitcoins. That's a lot of cheese.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the TAX lot.

it's a very grey area and one that lots of people will be very interested in. What they are talking about it taxing something someone has created... Now let that sink in. He hasn't actually "made" any money - he has written some code that generates large numbers. What people do with those "numbers" is entirely up to them...

Guess the issue is whether he has made profit from it. If he can prove that he hasn't I guess they can't do anything about it..
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Surely it is more of a case to prove he has
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022