Close

Thread: No Mans Sky

Thanks
    Karma Level

Games No Mans Sky

This game has fascinated me with it's concept and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow I think. Anyone else tried it out yet? How many of the 18.4 quintillion planets have you visited? lol!
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: No Mans Sky

I thought about getting this for PC, but it's got some shocking reviews on Steam. While it sounds very impressive in theory, I think I'd get bored very quickly. It doesn't bode well for us as species as I suspect any exoplanet harbouring life will undoubtedly be like in this game, interesting for about 5 minutes then our attention wanes.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

EvilBoB (18th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know what you mean. I kind of like these style of games to chill out to with a cold beer though - bear in mind I use to log playing EvE Online lol. I know there were a lot of bugs plaguing the game early on - game crashes and the like but I think a lot of them have been sorted now. It sounds so interesting.
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

CzarJunkie (18th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love the concept, if it had been released for the Vive I would have been sold. Something like that experienced in VR would be great.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got it. So far I've played 2 hours and haven't even left the planets surface yet. Yes there are things that need to be ironed out....but it's an indie game and you expect that.

Don't explore cave systems. They are never ending and not worth it..because they are procedurally generated your not always guaranteed to have an exit point. So you just head deeper and deeper for no reason.

So far I'm liking it despite all the bad reviews. I think people were expecting too much from it..its a slow paced exploration game which has great potential to be expended upon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    I've got it. So far I've played 2 hours and haven't even left the planets surface yet. Yes there are things that need to be ironed out....but it's an indie game and you expect that.

Don't explore cave systems. They are never ending and not worth it..because they are procedurally generated your not always guaranteed to have an exit point. So you just head deeper and deeper for no reason.

So far I'm liking it despite all the bad reviews. I think people were expecting too much from it..its a slow paced exploration game which has great potential to be expended upon

Have you played Elite Dangerous to give us a comparison?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i have and i paid the full price for it... it was beyond boring for me. much like a space version of trucking simulator, carry cargo from a to b.

the graphics were very good, probably better than NMS, but the game was lacking in all aspects. I suspect they have since improved upon planetary landings and what not with the new expansions, but i was put off from the start.

For me, planetary landings was a must, and the seamless movement of ship from surface to space in NMS is spot on - they just need to iron out the repetitiveness of it a little bit and it will be great.

So far ive spent 2-3 hours on the starting planet, fixed my suit, ship and explored a few outposts. Ive met a species called the "Gek" and decipehered a few words of their language by various means. Its very much a learn how to do this by yourself sort of game, not much in the way of tutorials, but its fun in the process.

To give more of an accurate comparison, i would need to re-try Elite, but now NMS is out, i will probably see what future updates and dlc brings.

Thanks to CallmeGoose

doughboy (19th August 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Goose have i heard correctly that there is no multi player aspect to the game?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yep no multimplayer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Multiplayer would have ultimately been pointless in this game. With 18.4 quintillion planets you could spend months of game time and not come across another player until you get close to the centre of the universe where gamers will end up journeying to as the main questline.

Would have been nice to explore with your mates but I think it's a niche game. I read somewhere you can leave messages on planets for other gamers - you can't see or interact with other players though.

I also read somewhere that Sony have allowed them to release without the requirements of PS+ because of the size of the game and the understanding that multiplayer would be nigh on non-existant anyway - even if it was in place.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was thinking about getting this for a change of pace. But I'm afraid based on the majority of reviews, I will pass at full price.

Might nab it on the sly though, but even then, only once it's had the shit patched out of it. Could well be a half decent game in 6 months to a year!

Thanks
    Karma Level

First post-release patch is out today

On PS4, the patch makes No Man’s Sky more stable and does "lots more," said Murray.

Source :
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/18/12541734/no-mans-sky-patch-104-ps4-pc

Users are still reporting crashes on PC and PS4 though. Another patch is due next week as well apparently. I'm going to pick this up on my way home. There's fuck all out there worth playing at the moment in my opinion and this might be exactly what I'm looking for.
    DF Moderator

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been playing this on pc - the latest patch added sli support which is good - playing at max settings with unlocked fps no problems.

Good game am enjoying it but 15 hours or so in am starting to get a little bored so have started to set out following the Atlas route which will keep me going until I finish that - not sure I will go back to it.

Elite is better and when (if) Star Citizen releases it should blow nms away. It has great potential.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-...mans-sky-away/
    Last edited by prezzy; 21st August 2016 at 01:09 AM. Reason: AT

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone else have issues with the cursor drifting off text, after the latest patch? Bloody annoying. ..find it really hard to select which dialogue option I want as the cursor keeps drifting to the option below or above

Same with the galactic trade...I have to select one unit at a time because the dam cursor just drifts off...
    Using a 360 windows controller.hoping I don't have to reinstall

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know they have released a few patches now - has it made this game playable? My son and myself both want to play it but when we were looking at it just after launch and everyone said stay clear.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reviews on Steam are extremely negative. It probably doesn't help that the game is being investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority It shouldn't be too long before it ends up being part of a humble bundle.

Thanks to pattikins

EvilBoB (7th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    The reviews on Steam are extremely negative. It probably doesn't help that the game is being investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority It shouldn't be too long before it ends up being part of a humble bundle.
    The threads on reddit are hit and miss on it too. I love the idea but it was very plagued with bugs at launch from what I understand. It was advertised hard everywhere so was expecting it to be decent but it was developed by a tiny (less than 10 employees) team and marketed at a premium price. Not the way to make a name for your company. If it had been a £20 game it probably wouldn't have received such a critical launch.
    DF Moderator

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

my opinion of this game has changed drastically since i installed it. Played hours and hours of it and its very repetitive and boring.

I have spent hours mining and managed to amass over 10,000,000 credits, as I wanted a new ship, as it happens I stumbled upon a crashed ship more advanced than mine, So i got out and hopped in to my new ride, which automatically deletes your old one.

You then have to repair your new ship, and this requires resources. I have to repair the pulse drive and launch thruster, and the pulse drive required zinc which you can only get from plants. I was on a fucking barren world with no plants!!!!! I treked for what seems like miles and hours exploring every nook and cranny of the planet and found nothing, as I was about to give up and delete my save and start over I stumbled upon a trading centre literally miles away from my crashed ship. In real time, from the trade centre to my ship was 50minutes..... 50 fucking minutes of just walking across a planet to get back to my ship. Needless to say I was pissed off.

There is no real incentive to do anything, aliens are bland, learning the language sucks as you get one word at a time, there are no real classes of ships - just randomised parts boshed together and space combat is crap. The story makes no fucking sense so far and Ive basically put playing the game on hold until they release some major DLC.

In the meantime , this is getting great reviews and seems to be a replacement for No Mans Sky, and what people were expecting in the first place:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/

Thanks to CallmeGoose

crazyal (12th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still like playing elite dangerous.
    Was looking forward to no man's sky but for the minute will hold off

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    my opinion of this game has changed drastically since i installed it. Played hours and hours of it and its very repetitive and boring.

I have spent hours mining and managed to amass over 10,000,000 credits, as I wanted a new ship, as it happens I stumbled upon a crashed ship more advanced than mine, So i got out and hopped in to my new ride, which automatically deletes your old one.

You then have to repair your new ship, and this requires resources. I have to repair the pulse drive and launch thruster, and the pulse drive required zinc which you can only get from plants. I was on a fucking barren world with no plants!!!!! I treked for what seems like miles and hours exploring every nook and cranny of the planet and found nothing, as I was about to give up and delete my save and start over I stumbled upon a trading centre literally miles away from my crashed ship. In real time, from the trade centre to my ship was 50minutes..... 50 fucking minutes of just walking across a planet to get back to my ship. Needless to say I was pissed off.

There is no real incentive to do anything, aliens are bland, learning the language sucks as you get one word at a time, there are no real classes of ships - just randomised parts boshed together and space combat is crap. The story makes no fucking sense so far and Ive basically put playing the game on hold until they release some major DLC.

In the meantime , this is getting great reviews and seems to be a replacement for No Mans Sky, and what people were expecting in the first place:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/
    Your review is 100% spot on, couldn't agree more.

Also, Osiris is essentially the game NMS should have been. It looks very promising indeed - I'll keep my eye on that one.