Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport Mourinho best man for Man Utd - Neville

Manchester United have "got to be the best" and appointing Jose Mourinho as manager will help achieve that success, says former defender Phil Neville.
    The BBC understands Mourinho, 53, will replace Louis van Gaal, despite United winning the FA Cup on Saturday.
    Van Gaal, 64, two seasons into a three-year deal, said last week expectations at Old Trafford were "much too high".

But Neville, 39, said he "disagrees with that", adding: "At the moment, Jose is the best man for the job."

The former England international, who played for United from 1995-2005 and was first-team coach under David Moyes in 2013-14, told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "For as long as I've known it you've got to be the best at Manchester United.
    "Mourinho is a proven winner. United fans want a team challenging for the league title, they don't want a team finishing in seventh or fifth."

Media playback is not supported on this device

The Portuguese won three Premier League titles in two spells at Chelsea and has also won domestic leagues in his homeland, Italy and Spain.
    Mourinho was sacked in December after champions Chelsea made a poor start to their title defence, losing nine of their first 16 matches, while he was involved in a high-profile dispute with club doctor Eva Carneiro, who was dismissed and pursued a constructive dismissal case against the club.
    Mourinho's honours
    Champions League - 2 Premier League - 3
    FA Cup - 1 League Cup - 3
    La Liga - 1 Copa del Rey - 1

"When Jose finishes at a club there is a pattern where he falls out with players, gets disgruntled and the team dips," Neville said.
    "I can't see him staying for too long at United - maybe two or three years seems to be his shelf life at a club - but as long as he brings success United fans won't be unhappy.
    "The pressure of football management and demands from owners and supporters and media now means two to three years in a job is enough."

Media playback is not supported on this device

United last won the Premier League in 2013 - in Sir Alex Ferguson's final season in charge - and have since finished seventh, fourth and fifth, missing out on next season's Champions League.
    "He is not the type of manager that will come in and say this is a transitional period and finishing fourth in the league will be enough - that won't be enough for the United fans," Neville said of Mourinho, who has also managed Porto, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.
    "I am a Manchester United fan and next season I want them to be winning the league. That will be the demands put on him and I am sure he will have the same expectation."
    Mourinho in the Premier League with Chelsea
    Season Place Managed Won Drew Lost Win %
    2004-05 Champions 38 29 8 1 76.32
    2005-06 Champions 38 29 4 5 76.32
    2006-07 Second 38 24 11 3 63.16
    2007-08 Sacked 6 3 2 1 50
    2013-14 Third 38 25 7 6 65.79
    2014-15 Champions 38 26 9 3 68.42
    2015-16 Sacked 16 4 3 9 25

There have been suggestions that Mourinho's pragmatic style of play and confrontational personality may not be popular with the United hierarchy and supporters - but Neville says it could bring positive results.
    "I know you have to manage a certain way when you're manager of Manchester United, but if you take away that brashness - and you saw that a little bit towards the end at Chelsea - you lose what Jose Mourinho is about," said Neville, who won six Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the Champions League with the Old Trafford club.
    "He likes to create this siege mentality and that's what Sir Alex [Ferguson] did for 26 years. He told us in every team meeting that the rest of the world doesn't like you, wants you to fail, and that was the basis of our motivation in a lot of our games.
    "Sir Alex did like to create a cause for the fight, with the media and with other managers. If Mourinho does that at United, the fans will take him to their hearts."
    Van Gaal, 64, was appointed on a three-year deal in summer 2014 and arrived at United having guided the Netherlands to the World Cup semi-finals in Brazil.
    The Dutchman has spent £250m on new players, including £36m on France forward Anthony Martial, and brought through several youngsters from the club's academy, such as 18-year-old striker Marcus Rashford, who has been named in England's provisional 26-man squad for Euro 2016.
    "Rashford has been a breath of fresh air and I think Martial is going to be an absolute superstar," added Neville.
    "They are not too far away - maybe two or three players and maybe this team could be challenging for a league title."
    Last edited by Nikki; 22nd May 2016 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mourinho best man for Man Utd - Neville

is it just me, or sick of hearing about it now

utd just need to come out and say what they doing and move on...

Thanks to Nikki

cybollox (24th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will United fans welcome his style of play as its the complete opposite of Fergusons.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also is that the death of utd youth set up. Jose doesn't like the kids

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd imagine he wont get full control of the club structure. He will need to transition the young players or won't last more than a couple of seasons

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If he was in charge this season I doubt Rashford wouldn't have got a sniff.

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

He won't stay, to many people sticking their oar in telling him what to do. One of the reasons he left Chelsea. Hope he stays for at least two seasons though.

In the words of Kevin Keegan - I will love it

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have it on good authority that he was a Leeds fan growing up in Portugal. I like to think he's going in there to destroy it from the inside, like he did in his second spell at Chelsea.

Marchando Juntos.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As a Liverpool fan I think this is a great appointment ;-) He will maybe win something but he will leave in 2-3 years with the club in a worse state than it is now.

If I was Man U I would hire Eva Carneiro and sit back and watch the sparks fly that would top it off ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd have prefered Pochetino, but Mourhino will do, the main thing is that clown LVG is gone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Regardless of what went on at Chelsea, I'm still gutted he's gone to another English club. Just doesn't feel right.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

its a 2-3 year appointment, i dont see jose staying any longer so i dont see him being able to completely ruin the youth structure by then, not sure who will be managing after that though, it could well be giggs at that point

Thanks
    Karma Level

Everyones saying the same thing, hell be there 2 or 3 seasons and then fuck off again, truth is nobody knows, I dont think even he knows, but one thing is for sure, he has a lot more experience this time round good and bad he'll have learnt a lot about hte english media/fans that he maybe wasnt aware of last time. The way he treated that doctor was looked upon by most as a bit harsh so he wont be making those sort of mistakes again, hes been guaranteed full control of the players in the transfer market and I believe this is what hes so adamant about. Personally im willing to give the guy a chance and see what happens, you never know he may well fall in love with this club as many before him have.