Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New TV and FreeView digibox

My "old" TVonics digibox has been killed by an electrical spike so i am looking to replace it, together with my 30 year old Philips CRTTV. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the TV, I thought that I would bite the bullet and drag myself screaming into the realm of flat screens at last!

I have been looking, at John Lewis only so far, and they made the following suggestions:

1) Humax FVP-4000T 1TB HD three tuner digibox at £229; and either

2) Sony 49" KD49X8305CBU Android OS for £649 (2015 model so discounted); or

3) LG 40" 40UH630V LED WebOS for £629.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, improvements, etc. on those suggestions? My two young Sprogs each recommend samsung, but I didn't see anything of theirs at a reasonable price - that may be a deficiency of the John Lewis display stock rather than the lack of "affordable" Samsung's!

I want something that can record as i work many nights and only watch TV on catch-up or which as been previously recorded. In any event, I do not watch much TV so do not need to spend a fortune on something with bells and whistles, and a hearing problem means that superb sound systems would be lost on me.

I am, therefore, after a good, but fairly basic yet reliable, FreeView system which allows recording.

Thanks in advance.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New TV and FreeView digibox

Hi
    In my opinion John Lewis no longer top dog with TV warrenty etc. Richer sounds now the man.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also someone on DF previously said the Sony with Android is not too clever.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks so far, Guys and Gals, but I am more after views on the quality of the TVs and boxes rather then the vendor. I shall, of course, shop around when I have reached a decision.

Ashley: I am exclusively a MacOSX and iOS user user and have never knowingly used Android so I truly do not know what it is like. Is it Android that is the problem, Sony the Problem or the combination of the two?

I'll look for the post you mention later as I am otherwise engaged for a few hours now, but if you have any comment I would value it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I should have mentioned that I am not at all sure why I would want an OS on a TV!

I have no intention of subscribing to paid TV, Netflix or anything like that. All I want is the ability to watch and record the free to watch FreeView channels. Nothing more nor less and pretty well only something that comes via my aerial.

As for "internet enabled" TVs, I am at the end of roughly 1.5 miles of 1960s copper wire, with no cable services nearby, and attached to an exchange that does not, apparently, yet appear on any BT forthcoming fibre upgrade list - otherwise I would watch on my iMac but to do so now is beset by almost constant buffering making watching an unacceptable experience.

And I'm a TV Luddite!
    Last edited by iBozz; 23rd May 2016 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't forget Costco - generally cheap and 5 year warranty. Buy latest TV, 4 years in take it back, say it's broken and they give you the cash back - go buy the latest tv

It's a no quibble guarantee. I've seen people take back stuff that's been used to death and gotten their money back with no questions.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the Costco tip. I've never joined as I couldn't justify the annual membership fee with my frugal shopping habits and I stick with MAKRO for what little bulk buying I do. There isn't a Costco particularly close to me.

However, if there is a decent saving then it might be worth joining, or finding a friend who has membership already.
    Last edited by iBozz; 23rd May 2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Typos - again!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by iBozz View Post
    Thanks for the Costco tip. I've never joined as I couldn't justify the annual membership fee with my frugal shopping habits and I stick with MAKRO for what little bulk buying I do. There isn't a Costco particularly close to me.

However, if there is a decent saving then it might be worth joining, or finding a friend who has membership already.
    If your gonna buy a tv look at the executive membership as you get 2% back , there is an initial premium to the cost though.
    http://warehouses.costco.co.uk/membership/