My "old" TVonics digibox has been killed by an electrical spike so i am looking to replace it, together with my 30 year old Philips CRTTV. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the TV, I thought that I would bite the bullet and drag myself screaming into the realm of flat screens at last!

I have been looking, at John Lewis only so far, and they made the following suggestions:

1) Humax FVP-4000T 1TB HD three tuner digibox at £229; and either

2) Sony 49" KD49X8305CBU Android OS for £649 (2015 model so discounted); or

3) LG 40" 40UH630V LED WebOS for £629.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, improvements, etc. on those suggestions? My two young Sprogs each recommend samsung, but I didn't see anything of theirs at a reasonable price - that may be a deficiency of the John Lewis display stock rather than the lack of "affordable" Samsung's!

I want something that can record as i work many nights and only watch TV on catch-up or which as been previously recorded. In any event, I do not watch much TV so do not need to spend a fortune on something with bells and whistles, and a hearing problem means that superb sound systems would be lost on me.

I am, therefore, after a good, but fairly basic yet reliable, FreeView system which allows recording.

Thanks in advance.