Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question XBox One Capture + Streaming

My son like a lot of others thinks that he wants to get into YouTube streaming either live, or via recordings from his XBox One to a capture card and into his laptop.

Is this something that anyone plays around with and can you recommend what kit I need to buy him please? I see these Elgato HD's cropping up in various reviews but does anyone here use one?

I bought my lad a fairly respectable laptop Christmas before last, an i5 of some description with 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, an onboard Intel GPU but also an nVidia [not sure which] which kicks for gaming. Primarily all his gaming is on the XBox one though. The usual suspects, COD, Black Ops Zombies and GTA. I suspect he needs a decent capture card to record to his laptop. What I really don't know [and I don't think he does either] is if he's wanting to record a stream from his XBox, and then record a separate stream of either his laptop's webcam or a separate webcam so that he can show his face and the game on the stream simultaneously.

If anyone has any thoughts, advice or experience with this kind of setup please it would be appreciated. Frankly I'm out of my depth with this one as it's not something I've ever done.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default XBox One Capture + Streaming

My son loves his Fifa and cod on ps4. He started to get into the YouTube lark towards the latter end of PS3.
    I bought him the elgato hd and a snowball blue mic - both seem to be the benchmark for capturing and commentary.
    The combination makes it really easy to do impressive videos - I couldn't believe how good they turned out.
    My sons setup is a of a similar spec, but on the Mac side of the street.
    Just so you can get an idea of the results, here's a link to his channel - https://m.youtube.com/user/YTOllyGames
    He's not posted for a while - he was about 10 years of age in his earliest offerings - he's since discovered girls, now he's 14yrs
    Hope this helps

Btw, he's also done live streaming with it - the elgato hd makes it really easy to do very good presentations, with little effort or knowledge - for both ps and Xbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    original intel macbook black 2006, macbook air 2011, PS3, XBOX360, nintendo wii, 3ds, psp, iphone 5 32gb, itouch 16gb, Vu+duo, Samsung TAB2, various laptops Ubuntu

Thanks to gazza341

AP0ll0UK (26th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XBox One Capture + Streaming

I use Roxio Game Capture HD Pro for a cheap easy setup one, not linked the cheapest place I doubt just an example of what it is.

Just to add when they do get one and capture something get them to stick the video on my Gamers group they will get good exposure as it has over half a million members, best to drop me a message saying blah blah blah from Df first so it don't get deleted.
    Last edited by Bald Bouncer; 25th May 2016 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

AP0ll0UK (26th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice both of you That really helps. With two options on the table though I'll do some more reading.

@gazza341 - I've watched the link you posted and the quality seems really good. Thanks for the advice about the mic too, I'll have a look into that as well as I suspect his laptop mic just won't cut it. My lad is 13 and while he's expressing a bit of an interest, he's yet to discover girls! But whilst he's home, I know he's safe and he's well away from trouble, I have to say I prefer it as I remember what I was like at his age - and it wasn't good. I just hope that whatever I end up buying him doesn't get shelved within a few months if he decides to get himself a girlfriend.

@Bald Bouncer - Thanks for providing an alternative. Despite being a bit cheaper, if you're happy with it then it has to be a decent bit of kit! I'll be sure to tell him about the Gamers group once he's familiarised himself with recording decent videos. If it's gets his mutterings some decent exposure and helps him build up a decent following then he'll be really grateful. He does seem to know what he's doing when he's playing games and seems to play COD to a pretty decent standard. I tell him I would have owned him when I was in my hayday on Counterstrike Source but he doesn't believe me. I'm not convinced that a controller would beat a keyboard and a mouse! Sadly the only gaming I do these days is a bit of retro when I get half an hour free - and it's more about luck and memory than it is about actually being a decent gamer.

Thanks again for the advice both of you, much appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it helps this is the quality of the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

AP0ll0UK (29th May 2016),  Ashley (28th May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

That capture looks really good especially for the money. There doesn't seem to be any lag when there's a lot of action - which is pretty much all I know to look for

I'd buy one for myself but no one needs to watch me playing Mario on the NES!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apologies for the delay in replying - busy making my new house habitable.

I have to mention, although my sons got interest in the female form now, his setup is something he keeps coming back to and improves with each attempt. He's now showing me stuff that is beyond the original efforts I helped him put together - pretty rewarding, especially as he depended on me showing him how to put videos together.
    I hope whichever setup you choose, your son continues to make use of.
    I like going back to early videos we did, as it's before his voice broke - a nice keepsake of his childhood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    original intel macbook black 2006, macbook air 2011, PS3, XBOX360, nintendo wii, 3ds, psp, iphone 5 32gb, itouch 16gb, Vu+duo, Samsung TAB2, various laptops Ubuntu