Close

Thread: router set up

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default router set up

Hi, need a little help in setting up a 2nd router as a slave,the slave router is a d-link dsl 3780, i have turned off dhcp and firewall,changed ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2, have set up wireless to same as primary router settings. The primary router is a huawei hg633,have changed ip range from 192.168.1.2-192.168.l.254 to 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.254.The problem i have is setting up the static ip of the slave router in the primary router settings, can anyone help me with this part. thanks

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: router set up

Is it from an ISP or a retail router? I don't think you can get DDWRT on it which was going to be my first suggestion. Are you trying to set it up as a WAP or wireless repeater bridge? Wireless can be tricky.

Can an you provide screenshots from the Setup, Internet Setup and Setup, LAN Setup pages?

in the Internet Setup page you need to set WAN Settings to static IP then enter the IP of the secondary router x.x.x.2. Ideally you would set the WAN connection type to disabled but it looks like you will have to use auto as that option does not there, I am not sure what effect this will have.

On the LAN setup page the router IP should be x.x.x.2 if this is the secondary, subnet should match the primary router, disable DHCP.

I can't see anywhere to enter the gateway IP of the primary so that could cause some problems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: router set up

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Is it from an ISP or a retail router? I don't think you can get DDWRT on it which was going to be my first suggestion. Are you trying to set it up as a WAP or wireless repeater bridge? Wireless can be tricky.

Can an you provide screenshots from the Setup, Internet Setup and Setup, LAN Setup pages?

in the Internet Setup page you need to set WAN Settings to static IP then enter the IP of the secondary router x.x.x.2. Ideally you would set the WAN connection type to disabled but it looks like you will have to use auto as that option does not there, I am not sure what effect this will have.

On the LAN setup page the router IP should be x.x.x.2 if this is the secondary, subnet should match the primary router, disable DHCP.

I can't see anywhere to enter the gateway IP of the primary so that could cause some problems.
    Hi, thanks for info, i'm trying to extend my lan ports to slave router,looking around internet i think i've set up slave ok, but as far as i know i just need to link routers from lan to lan, would this be correct.
    p.s. the routers are from isp.