Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whine England Team negativity

Not a massive football fan, but I always make a point of watching England play.
    Granted yesterday's Portugal match wasn't great to watch, but we got a win. Listening to the commentary yesterday it sounds like a royal funeral, and the papers today seem to be equally scathing of the England team (probably because they all watched the same ITV coverage with negative commentary). Now obviously Hodgson's placement of Vardy, Kane and Rooney may not have been optimal but there is still time for tweaking the team. Being a national team manager can't be easy as you have so little time to stamp your mark on a temporary team drawn from all over the league.

Point is a win-is-a-win, and this was Portugal not some mickey mouse team from the Balkans. So lets stop acting like we're Germany and have some fucking humility... FFS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: England Team negativity

Yeah I don't get it.

I read all sorts of analysis this morning of why Hodgson was doing this and not doing that etc. These experts seem to forget that it's a friendly warm up match, and the purpose is to try things out and see what works!

And as you say, a win is a win.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Totally agree, its about momentum and a win is still a win no matter how it happens.

Got to laugh at everyone slating him, Kane taking corners and free kicks etc, changing formations and moving players around out of position. As flumperino says , its a friendly and time to experiment. Also maybe a chance to give Russia and other teams a false impression of how they will line up and who will be taking free kicks etc.

Save the moaning if the tournament games go tits up not the friendly's, and enjoy it because at least you are there unlike us scots.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Last night was actually a very good test for our young team against a very experienced, big/physical and lets face it dirty side who almost always get the better of us.

They put all 10 men behind the ball and tried to hit us on the break, hardly ground breaking tactics but something we may have to face.

Against a side that tries to attack us it will be different, there will be more space for Rooney to operate and more chance for the wide men to get in behind the fullbacks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems to me that we're stuck in perpetual "future potential".

The players that France, Spain and Germany have produced in the last 4 years are absolutely phenomenal and we seem to be stuck with prospects and has beens.

Don't get me wrong, we're good but simply not good enough.

If France don't go in to one of their characteristic mid-tournament meltdowns I really fancy them to win it.