This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

Thread: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

  1. BigBird's Avatar

    BigBird said:

    Default This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    First of all let me say that this isn't a story that has been passed on to me through several other people. If it was I would have probably dismissed it without another thought. I personally know the mother, the boy and the grandmother and this was told to me by the mother and the grandmother about a year after it happened. This happened when the boy was between 4 and 5 years old, he is now 7.

    The mother and the 4 year old boy were walking through the village on the way home. As they passed the church the mother decided that they would take a walk down into the churchyard to visit great grandma's grave. On the way to the grave they passed an old lady who was tending to another grave, The boy turned to his mother and said "I know that woman, her name is January". The mother didn't take him seriously and said that she doubted it very much because its unlikely that anyone would be called January.

    On the way back through the graveyard, and as they approached the woman, the boy said it again. The mother again repeated her doubts. The woman must have heard them talking because she asked the mother "are you talking about me". The mother answered saying that the boy had said that he knew her and that her name was January. The woman replied "my name is January but I don't recall ever seeing the little boy before".

    As they were leaving the churchyard the mother asked the little boy how he knew her and he replied "I knew her before I was born". A couple of hours later they called with the boys grandmother and the mother told her the story of what had happened. The grandmother then asked the little boy how could he have known her before he was born, and the boy replied "when I was an old man".

    Is it possible that reincarnation is a reality and when we are young enough it may only take something familiar to trigger a past life memory. Most of the time the child probably wouldn't mention it to anyone because the child wouldn't think there was anything strange about it. Even if it was mentioned to a parent it would likely be dismissed as a childs imagination. In this instance however the child knew the woman's name which is something he couldn't possibly have dreamt or imagined; and I doubt it's just coincidence - how may people are called January?

    These people are not just someone I know. They are very good friends. I am godfather to three of the grandmother's sister's children. They are serious people. They weren't joking or winding me up. I mentioned it to the grandmother's sister and she remembered them telling her the day after it happened. As an engineer and a very practical person I'm sceptical of almost everything I cant prove, but this certainly got me thinking. (">

    Edit: Also Makes you think whether a child's imaginary friend is really imaginary, or is it that some children can see something we cant because they are closer to whatever world exists between the old life and the new having passed through there only a few years previously. (">


    Last edited by BigBird; 16th June 2016 at 02:32 AM.
     
  2. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    First off, you have copied and pasted this because it's in a different font to the generic one.

    Secondly, it explains a lot about why you're voting out.
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  3. BigBird's Avatar

    BigBird said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    First off, you have copied and pasted this because it's in a different font to the generic one.

    Secondly, it explains a lot about why you're voting out.
    LOL. You really do crease me up with your need to try and belittle anyone that has a different opinion to yours.

    I actually typed it into notepad first and then pasted it here. Something I usually do when I'm working out the best way to word a longer post. In the past I have typed it into the forum, but when I have gone to post it I've had a page error and have had to type it all out again. Everything in my post above is true as it was told to me. If you think I pasted it from somewhere else then I challenge you to find it elsewhere on the net. Hopefully it will keep you busy for the next few weeks so we don't have to put up with your annoying attitude, until at least after the election.

    When someone tells you something like that and you know they are telling you the truth, even the most sceptical among us can't dismiss it without at least giving it some thought. (">

    Edit: One of the main benefits of a discussion forum is to post controversial issues to generate debate and encourage alternative points of view to your own. If everyone was like you and felt the need to belittle someone when they post something that doesn't hold with your point of view then no one would bother posting anything again. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 16th June 2016 at 03:16 AM.
     
  4. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    You might not attract such comments if it weren't for your signature banner. Your information is second hand anecdotal and utterly unreliable, it more than qualifies for the razor of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Much like your ideas about why to leave the EU, completely lacking in facts.
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  5. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    When someone tells you something like that and you know they are telling you the truth, even the most sceptical among us can't dismiss it without at least giving it some thought. (">

    Edit: One of the main benefits of a discussion forum is to post controversial issues to generate debate and encourage alternative points of view to your own. If everyone was like you and felt the need to belittle someone when they post something that doesn't hold with your point of view then no one would bother posting anything again. (">
    Tough shit. If someone talks crap then they have to accept dismissal of their opinions. Giving equal weight to science and woo is harmful. I would challenge anyone that came out with such bullshit.
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  6. BigBird's Avatar

    BigBird said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    You might not attract such comments if it weren't for your signature banner. Your information is second hand anecdotal and utterly unreliable, it more than qualifies for the razor of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Much like your ideas about why to leave the EU, completely lacking in facts.
    LOL. So in your opinion I'm not allowed to have a signature banner that displays my view on a particular subject because you obviously find anything that displays a view that isn't the same as yours offensive? So why the fuck do you torture yourself by joining a discussion forum?
    As for the information in my post: It came to me first hand and I have posted it here exactly as it was told to me. Nothing added or taken away. I know these people very well and know the information is reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Tough shit. If someone talks crap then they have to accept dismissal of their opinions. Giving equal weight to science and woo is harmful. I would challenge anyone that came out with such bullshit.
    If you have been paying attention you will have noticed that this is posted in the UFO's, paranormal and conspiracies forum, not in the news forum. Paranormal is non scientific unexplained phenomena, which is exactly what my post is about. If reincarnation could be proved then it wouldn't be classed as paranormal.

    What is it with you the last few days mate. Have you been caught shagging the neighbours dog or something because this isn't your normal behaviour on here. You're normally quite pleasant. Anyway... all that aside, I created this thread for anyone that has something constructive to add to the topic under discussion so if you have nothing useful to add then would you be so kind as to fuck off and find another thread to disrupt and annoy.
    Last edited by BigBird; 16th June 2016 at 04:21 AM.
     
  7. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    If the location was poundland do you still think it would hold the same weight?
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  8. CzarJunkie's Avatar

    CzarJunkie said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    I'm more opened minded. Given that the simulation hypothesis is entirely plausible, anything is possible. Elon Musk recently said that the chance of us existing in a base reality are billions to one. I tend to agree. Given the exponential growth in computing power, it is inconceivable to me that we won't have the power to create simulations that are almost indistinguishable from our current reality in a few decades. So just imagine what a civilisation just 1000's of years ahead of technologically could create, never mind if they were millions or even billions of years ahead.

    So, reincarnation is entirely plausible if we exist in a simulation. Maybe the code that makes every sentient entity is reused when they 'die', and maybe a bug in the code allows some new entities to recall memories embedded in the reused code from a previous entity?

    Of course, you could apply similar reasoning to just about any supernatural theory. And it pains me to make the above argument.


     
  9. Detector's Avatar

    Detector said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    we are the matrix
    A wise man once said " "
     
  10. EvilBoB's Avatar

    EvilBoB said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    I once read that every particle that was on earth the day it was created is still on earth (With exceptions caused by asteroid collisions etc).

    Now if that's true then when we die our bodies return to the earth - noone knows how to create memories but if we think of the human brain as a hard drive... smash the hard drive up - these tiny fragments are useless now for our current technology but with the right hardware we can still read the 1s and 0s off the unit. What if memories are the same?

    So someone is born and those particles that made up another persons memory end up incorporated into the new human. Of course if this is the way it works the odds of enough particles with memories ending up in a new person in the right order are quite frankly astronomical - but nevertheless possible.

    This may explain reincarnation.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil
     
  11. flumperino's Avatar

    flumperino said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    When you're dead, you're dead in my opinion. Sorry!

    Separate issue - could we agree to keep the referendum stuff confined to the referendum thread? That thread is animated enough, I'm not sure we want the discussion or emotion bleeding into the rest of the forum?
     
  12. BigBird's Avatar

    BigBird said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    When you're dead, you're dead in my opinion. Sorry!

    Separate issue - could we agree to keep the referendum stuff confined to the referendum thread? That thread is animated enough, I'm not sure we want the discussion or emotion bleeding into the rest of the forum?
    Never apologise because your opinion differs from someone else's. What you say makes perfect sense. I cant see how some part of us carries on after death. However when something really strange happens that cant be easily explained I sometimes wonder if I'm being too practical. Scientists are finding out new things about how our brain works all the time but are still only scratching the surface.

    In this case I am about to relate I have first hand experience because I was present at the time.
    My ex-wife suffered with Emetophobia which is the fear of being sick. We tried numerous psychotherapists and hypnotists over the years but nothing worked. Then one hypnotist who had tried almost everything including taking her back to her childhood decided to try past life regression. After only one session of past life regression he said he was convinced he had found the problem. In a past life she was a young girl who was part of a wealthy family in France. One day she bit into an apple in the family orchard and it contained a maggot, and this caused her to throw up.

    When he said he had found the problem at first I didn't really believe him, but I noticed from that day that she could now watch a TV program without running out of the room if someone on TV was sick. There were lots of other changes as well. She started eating normally again. Previously to this she felt that if she didn't eat then she couldn't be sick. She went down to less than five stone at one point. She could also now go to the pub without panicking and running home if someone was a bit merry and there was a possibility they could be sick.
    I used to wonder whether this was actually a past life that the hypnotist had uncovered or was it a nightmare that had been locked away in her subconscious. He was convinced it was a past life because he regressed her a year or two at a time until he took her back to before she was born. Would the subconscious mind know the difference between a past life and a dream or nightmare? (">
     
  13. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    I could be wrong, but I suspect everyone posting on this thread (including myself) cannot claim to be scientists in any professional capacity.

    I see a few people trying to use basic scientific arguments to rubbish ideas of a supreme creator who created souls that can live again in another body.

    I believe GTI is probably the one member best known here for being an actual proper real scientist.

    I remember in a thread a while ago he posted something along the lines that the number of scientists that were theists and atheists were pretty similar with a few in the middle who were undecided.

    If we are going to bring science into the discussion, surely we should give more weight to those with more knowledge, and if the proportions of scientists who are believers and non believers are similar, than I believe this is a reasonable counter to non-scientists trying to use simple scientific arguments to attempt to totally disprove the existence of a supreme creator.
     
  14. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    That would just be a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

    Science is done with evidence, and there is none to support such a thing.
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  15. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Your link shows there are divided opinions on calls to authority.

    However it appears to me that arguments are being made on the basis of science by laymen that do not correlate with a majority of opinions of real scientists. I have to say I find this position bizarre.
     
  16. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Reincarnation is not a scientific discussion, it's a philosophical one. Being a scientist can give you no further insight in this matter.
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  17. ivrytwr3's Avatar

    ivrytwr3 said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    What a load of shit.
     
  18. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    So a scientist's understanding of science is irrelevant to a philosophical discussion, yet it is perfectly valid for a layman to use scientific arguments in a philosophical discussion?

    Also to go in another direction, many years ago people tried to develop primitive scientific ideas that were proven at the time (e.g. Earth, Fire, Air, Water), which gradually evolved as understanding grew. What's to say in 5000 years we won't be modifying the equivalent of DNA in our souls?

    As mad that that may sound, I bet if you went back say 1000 years in time and insisted for example people would fly round the world, people then would be sure you are crazy as all the top scientists at the time would have ridiculed you.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 16th June 2016 at 11:13 PM.
     
  19. Mule's Avatar

    Mule said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    So a scientist's understanding of science is irrelevant to a philosophical discussion, yet it is perfectly valid for a layman to use scientific arguments in a philosophical discussion?
    They can try. Doesn't make their opinion any more valid than anyone elses though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Also to go in another direction, many years ago people tried to develop primitive scientific ideas that were proven at the time (e.g. Earth, Fire, Air, Water), which gradually evolved as understanding grew. What's to say in 5000 years we won't be modifying the equivalent of DNA in our souls?

    As mad that that may sound, I bet if you went back say 1000 years in time and insisted for example people would fly round the world, people then would be sure you are crazy as all the top scientists at the time would have ridiculed you.
    See, that's philosophy again.

    The thing is that reincarnation is not testable, as such it has no place in a scientific discussion. Like I said earlier in the thread, it should be excluded from scientific discussion using the philosophical razor of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Open your heart. Die.
     
  20. Over Carl's Avatar

    Over Carl said:

    Default Re: This really got me thinking. Is reincarnation a reality?

    As mentioned earlier, this is posted in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] subforum. We don't have a philosophy subforum, so I would say this is a reasonably close fit.

    If it were posted in the clinic or something, then I could understand the perception that an opinion was being passed off as science.

    It appears if someone wants to have a philosophical discussion you wish to use scientific thinking to put them down, but as soon as opinions of scientists are mentioned, you wish to insist this is purely a philosophical discussion.

    Are you sure you aren't a politician in disguise, as they are the only people I continually see trying to turn black into white, then to black again while keeping a straight face.

    Back to calls to authority - I was being polite when I concurred your link shows divided opinion.

    If I want to further my understanding about e.g. Kodi, I would post in our Kodi section. If I wanted to know information to make me a better driver in context of abiding by road rules I might ask opinions of a police office or driving instructor, but if I wanted to know information to allow me to drift my car better I would try to find drifters to seek information from, if I wanted to learn how to rally a car well I would seek instruction from someone with experience of the subject, and the same again for conventional race tracks. Going by your logic I might as well just ask all these questions to my mate Dave in the pub.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 17th June 2016 at 11:55 AM.