Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A guy on Facebook tried 'grooming' my 15 year old daughter! Wrong person to 'Hit'

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    An SRV record in most cases as you say would not exist but could not the client software create an acceptable SRV record on the fly to satisfy XMPP protocols ??
    Not saying that is what happens .. more thinking out loud!
    Funnily enough I just edited in something to answer that situation then I read your reply.

To do what you are saying, easiest way would be to create an SRV record that points to an A record (or AAAA record) that is using dynamic dns.

Problem is when your router reboots, and once the local dynamic dns client has updated, it can take a while for the updated A record to propagate through the worldwide DNS system.

In this time, you wouldn't be able to send and receive messages, or even worse, your messages could end up with the wrong person.

So it could be done in theory, and I wouldn't be surprised if things like this have been done by developers for test purposes.

But it would be laughable to base a production solution serving such a volume of users on a mechanism that would be as flimsy and insecure as what I just described.

I wasn't going to bother explaining this detail, but seeing as it was you that asked I thought I might as well.

Btw, this only answers one part of the problem, trying to get a working SRV record. With the spec you published I can see other difficulties people may have if they wished to set themselves up in accordance with that document using regular domestic connections.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 22nd June 2016 at 06:02 PM.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

CzarJunkie (22nd June 2016),  piggzy (22nd June 2016)