Close

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is DF Slowly Dying?

I've been on D-F on and off for over 15 years and whilst sites have ups and downs, DF just doesn't have as many active threads and visitors as it used to.

So...is DF slowly dying, a victim of other ways of getting shits and giggles on the internet? When I click on What's New, I used to get pages and pages to go through, nowadays, you're lucky to get a hand full of posts. As you scroll down and go into random sections, you very often get no posts displayed due to their ages....

Either way, what can we do or suggest to get it busy again?

Thanks to brumbino

piggzy (2nd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is DF Slowly Dying?

In my opinion yes, not sure what can be done about it or if anyone is left who has the will or ideas to try as you have many staff on here will post up to 20 times a day of Facebook, Twitter etc yet don't post on here from one week to the next and without wanting to appear to dig you say you look on a regular basis but this is the first post you have made a post in over a year and a half so the answer is simple if people don't post and share then the writing is on the wall.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Detector (22nd January 2017),  ilscuro (2nd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wandered off as I noticed then and popped back just to see...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is my favourite forum and it's sad to see the lack of activity there is here now.

I've tried to post more in the ufo and conspiracy section, which is what interests me the most, but the lack of interest or negativity at these posts obviously puts me off trying.

We need all members who are interested in keeping the forum alive to make a conscious effort and post more, come on guys.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I returned earlier in the year after not visiting in over a year, and was surprised by how quiet it was. The Brexit debacle breathed some life into the place for a while, but it was mostly conflict. I'm of the opinion that I have less in common with the majority here than used to be the case. And I'll be honest, I'm sick of arguing with idiots. I don't mind having a spirited debate or even a set to, as long as my opponent has made some effort at informing themselves.

We are living in a world where knowledge and objective truths are actively shunned, replaced by false ideas and 'feelings' reinforced by the ghettoisation of the Internet. And this place has not escaped this move towards anti-intellectualism.

12 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Show/Hide list of the thanked

andyinlondon (28th January 2017),  Bald Bouncer (2nd October 2016),  BertRoot (2nd October 2016),  DavidF (3rd October 2016),  Detector (22nd January 2017),  elephantsoup (2nd October 2016),  foxy11 (3rd October 2016),  GTI (3rd October 2016),  I Black Belt (2nd October 2016),  the.insane (19th February 2017),  tombott (3rd October 2016),  Zoots (4th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not enough dwarf sex anymore for my liking
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

2 Thanks given to satzzz

-G-Man- (7th February 2017),  Detector (22nd January 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

xb1 hack would get some activity going

2 Thanks given to raelmadrid

piggzy (2nd October 2016),  ss30 (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I returned earlier in the year after not visiting in over a year, and was surprised by how quiet it was. The Brexit debacle breathed some life into the place for a while, but it was mostly conflict. I'm of the opinion that I have less in common with the majority here than used to be the case. And I'll be honest, I'm sick of arguing with idiots. I don't mind having a spirited debate or even a set to, as long as my opponent has made some effort at informing themselves.

We are living in a world where knowledge and objective truths are actively shunned, replaced by false ideas and 'feelings' reinforced by the ghettoisation of the Internet. And this place has not escaped this move towards anti-intellectualism.
    aid...
    What he s

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it is, shame really.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Forums in general seem to be a lot slower nowadays, facebook and similar seem to take up people's time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally, given the WWW and the they we live I think it's holding up pretty well. Fuck facebook, fuck twitter, fuck social media. Long live the forum.

DJ OD

5 Thanks given to DJ OD

beansontoast (2nd October 2016),  EvilBoB (3rd October 2016),  Nikki (8th October 2016),  QUALCAST (5th October 2016),  ss30 (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So basically we need to go on a recruiting drive...

All the social media formats need to be posted with the forum...

I'll do it now, although I think amongst my friends list I am probably the biggest geek, which kind of rules the rest of them out...We can but try.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Times change, back in the day things were much more openly discussed and people were much more tolerant of newbies - there were many tutorials and FAQ"s which meant newbies could read and learn much more easily and quickly without a barrage of abuse about being a leech whenever they asked a question. Nowadays with all the legal Eagles crawling all over the forums threatening them with all sorts if anything they don't like gets posted it's almost impossible to learn anything easily.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks to Northernbloke

doughboy (2nd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes that is a big problem. IIRC I found DF god knows how many years ago due to OD...and I stayed.

I think long standing members could maybe post more rather than doing a google search,,,that'd not necessarily create more posts BUT would link to more google searches which would result in more traffic our way.

I'll try..

edit:

The mrs has already liked my facebook post about DF...Let's see if she joins

edit 2:

didn't even know there was a df facebook page...just joined that too
    Last edited by doughboy; 2nd October 2016 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should we separate the site form the infrastructure? i.e. the forums-driven website is dying, is there another platfor, maybe FB, maybe not, that could inject life into the place?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the fact that the place remains as it was. I hate Facebook, yes I use it but it's full of shit - my fault for accepting friend requests from people. Simple rules sort that out to an extent - "share" lame crap and you're instantly ignored forever etc. I can't understand people using it as a public repository for their family photos. Bonkers.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think its a DF specific thing, its the forum concept itself. I think with more content on supply, we feel less need to create / contribute to a board.

DF and many other boards have had to change due to the way the internet has changed. Everything I came here for has now been removed from open chat on almost all the boards but theres enough to keep me here regularly and its..ok. I do miss those days of 2 - 3 pages of new posts daily though.

5 Thanks given to {{909}}

Bald Bouncer (3rd October 2016),  c0axial (3rd October 2016),  crazyal (6th October 2016),  Northernbloke (3rd October 2016),  tombott (3rd October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    I dont think its a DF specific thing, its the forum concept itself. I think with more content on supply, we feel less need to create / contribute to a board.
    I'm really not sure what's happened to DF to be honest but, in my opinion, it isn't an issue with the 'forum concept'. I'm a member of several other forums and have been for a number of years. Each one has probably increased member numbers and in turn, activity. Facebook and the rest of the social media sites haven't affected them at all. I'm sure someone will tell me different but I can only speak of my experience.

This site used to be absolutely rampant with activity and the sub-forums and content was as diverse as I've seen anywhere. It's difficult to believe that the record for most users online was close to 26 thousand! That number is huge...maybe the only way was down?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the whole internet has changed, my kids (18 & 21) don't even use facebook, my youngest uses the facebook messenger app for talking to his mate in group chat and seems to spend all his spare time playing on his XB1 and talking to his mates and neither of them are members of any forums. The only other thing they seem to do is is buy shit online.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post
    Should we separate the site form the infrastructure? i.e. the forums-driven website is dying, is there another platfor, maybe FB, maybe not, that could inject life into the place?
    This actually isn't the worst idea in the world.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast