Close

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Brexit Aftermath

So we have the scots wanting to fuck off and stay in Europe. Khan wants London to stay in the EU. Northern Ireland seem to have their own ideas as well.

What is the fucking point in having a democracy across the UK if when if it doesn't go how you want you decide to buck against it and go your own way? It's fucking ridiculous.

4 Thanks given to BertRoot

andyinlondon (26th June 2016),  BigBird (27th June 2016),  josweet (25th June 2016),  piggzy (25th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Brexit Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    So we have the scots wanting to fuck off and stay in Europe. Khan wants London to stay in the EU. Northern Ireland seem to have their own ideas as well.

What is the fucking point in having a democracy across the UK if when if it doesn't go how you want you decide to buck against it and go your own way? It's fucking ridiculous.
    Couldn't agree more. The dummy spitting contest is an absolute embarrassment.

2 Thanks given to piggzy

andyinlondon (26th June 2016),  BigBird (27th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Our democracy has been hijacked. When a group of politicians, supported by a powerful right wing media, can use lies to manipulate the masses our democracy is over.

The one issue that swung the vote was immigration. And the lies told by politicians and the media, demonising immigration to cover the effects of austerity instigated by The Tories, are why we voted to leave.

The facts on immigration are clear. Immigrants pay more into the system in taxes than they take out, they haven't raised the level of crime, they bring much needed skills to our economy and we need them as British people simply aren't having enough children to sustain an increasingly older population. These are facts, not 'feelings' or bias based on personal experiences, what a friend has posted on Facebook or exceptional instances of an immigrant committing a crime highlighted in the media.

If you think immigration is a problem, you are wrong.

11 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Show/Hide list of the thanked

Argyll (1st July 2016),  Ashley (26th June 2016),  Bald Bouncer (25th June 2016),  DavidF (25th June 2016),  dpSparhawk (27th June 2016),  Geko (2nd July 2016),  GTI (25th June 2016),  ibobsy (25th June 2016),  JonEp (25th June 2016),  MajorFU (26th June 2016),  Over Carl (25th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with what you are saying CJ and cannot believe that the populous took the vote the way they did but saps are saps and pick up their advice from social media rather than actually researching but hey ho. A vote is a vote and abide by it. if you can't see further than Facebook then it is a sad time we live in. To look to farage and think he is telling the truth about what he will do when he has absolutely no position to do anything from is a little silly really.

Thanks to BertRoot

CzarJunkie (25th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Speaking of Brexit aftermath, as an MEP, hasn't Farage essentially campaigned for his own redundancy?

Hope he likes a double dose of austerity!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post

Forgetting Khan not seen that but it is indeed ridiculous, Scotland and Northern Ireland are countries in their own right and if the people of these countries wish to leave the United Kingdom or at least give them a vote to decide as the majority didn't want to leave the European Union that is democracy. For myself I accept the result of the vote of course it was a democratic vote regardless of the fact it was a vote on many lies, this won't stop me revisiting the fact many of the things I warned and predicted that others rubbished me for and said were nonsense have already hit exactly as I said they would yet haven't seen one person acknowledging they peddled a lie to get what they wanted in the brexit thread.

Just wonder if in years to come you won't be able to find anyone who will admit to voting to exit as you can hardly find anyone who admitted to voting in Thatcher.

6 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ashley (26th June 2016),  BertRoot (25th June 2016),  CzarJunkie (25th June 2016),  Ganty (25th June 2016),  MajorFU (26th June 2016),  Over Carl (25th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Democracy didn't end yesterday did it ? Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. So did NI and they have tons of reasons and not just cash to not want borders going up, TBH NI and it's special circumstances had even passed me by. How utterly dreadful for them people over there facing up to a trip back 30 years. The evil is still present over there and something daft like a manned border would just tip the breaking point imho.
    Same for Scotland democracy is still alive so why should we not exercise our very own democratic right to go our own way. I see some very hardened NO voters from last year are now completely up in arms and are writing on behalf of local groups ect to Sturgeon promising their unequivocal support in a indi ref 2....we are talking life long labour and tories here....People are talking that it would be worth the 5p raise in income tax just to be in total control weather that is in our out of the EU....It is more the affront that is the problem. Im sure this vote could easily have been split between the nations and im sure the eu would rather have lost a bit rather than the whole lot.
    One thing is for sure if Sturgon calls a second indi ref then she is 100% sure that she will win. Call her what you like but she is a very astute politician and as far as leaders go she is pretty intune to the mood of the people.....Shame they continue to cut public services up here to build their case against London but such is life and another story...

4 Thanks given to DavidF

Ashley (26th June 2016),  Bald Bouncer (25th June 2016),  MajorFU (26th June 2016),  Over Carl (25th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I voted out. EU is out of control I voted out in the belief that once one goes then others will follow and this will lead to a better EU being formed in the future

Thanks to steve10574

akimba (27th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember immigration being an issue for some well before we joined the common market in 1975 and can honestly say that it played no part in my voting for out.

For me the whole EU project has been built on lies, we are still hearing lie upon lie from our politicians and media who are now telling me I am stupid and have betrayed the young.

What we need are politicians who actually understand and represent their electorate and then do a proper job of work and get things done for them, fat chance

Thanks to mij

akimba (27th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mij View Post
    I remember immigration being an issue for some well before we joined the common market in 1975 and can honestly say that it played no part in my voting for out.

For me the whole EU project has been built on lies, we are still hearing lie upon lie from our politicians and media who are now telling me I am stupid and have betrayed the young.

What we need are politicians who actually understand and represent their electorate and then do a proper job of work and get things done for them, fat chance
    The "in" voters don't want to here that, they want to now blame it on the "thicko's" being brainwashed by the media. If the "in" brigade seriously think that nearly 52 percent of people are blaming it on Immigrants they are deluded as fuck.

Thanks to kroner

akimba (27th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    The "in" voters don't want to here that, they want to now blame it on the "thicko's" being brainwashed by the media. If the "in" brigade seriously think that nearly 52 percent of people are blaming it on Immigrants they are deluded as fuck.
    Oh, the delicious irony...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another sad yet unsurprising consequence of the Leave vote winning. Could this be a window in to what a future UK looks like, seeing as racism and xenophobia was the only legitimate reason people had to vote leave?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7104191.html

Brexit: Wave of racial abuse and hate crime reported after EU referendum

Purported responses to Brexit include signs saying 'Leave the EU, no more Polish vermin' being posted through letter boxes

A man tells another driver: 'Go back to your country' YouTube/Shulem SternMore than a hundred incidents of racial abuse and hate crime have been reported since the UK voted to leave the European Union.

Many of the alleged perpetrators cited the decision to leave the EU explicitly.

One video, purportedly filmed in Hackney on the morning after the referendum, shows a man arguing with someone in a car before yelling: “Go back to your country.”

A Facebook album entitled "Worrying Signs" has been created to document alleged incidents in which people have been targeted with xenophobic comments.
    One Twitter post by Kirsty Allan reports one Italian person being assaulted simply for asking someone how they voted in the EU referendum.

Follow

Kirsty Allan @kirstyrallan

Italian person I was w/ last night was assaulted for asking how someone voted. Knocked out w/ a bottle, lost a tooth, stitches. I'm scared.
    2:05 PM - 26 Jun 2016

Abuse has been documented against those from within the EU - but also those from outside the union and those born in the UK.
    Agata Brzezniak came to the UK on a scholarship from Poland when she was 17. She is now studying for a PhD in chemistry.

She has lived in the UK for eight years and told The Independent: "I have made the UK my home, it is where I have felt safe and appreciated

"[Like] many Polish people in the country I feared the EU referendum result would cause an increase in intolerance, discrimination and racism, but I didn’t think it would become so aggressive and be so immediate."
    A few hours after the announcement of the referendum, she says she was approached by a woman who asked her if she was Polish. When she said she was, she said the woman told her to be "scared" and that she must get a visa if she wanted to stay in "her" country.
    "The vicious smile and the way she looked at me brought me to tears," said Ms Brzezniak.

YouTube ‎@YouTube

Follow

Shulem Stern @ShulemStern

"F*cking foreigner, go back to your country": just watched this outrageous racist incident in #Hackney https://youtu.be/GQlumgxEef8
    1:23 PM - 24 Jun 2016

In Huntington, Cambridgeshire, there have been reports of signs saying “Leave the EU, no more Polish vermin” posted through the letter boxes of Polish families on the day of the referendum result.
    Local media reported the cards were also distributed outside primary schools. One Polish student said he “felt really sad” when he discovered the sign carrying the xenophobic message.

The cards were distributed in both English and Polish.
    Cambridgeshire Police urged people to come forward if they know anything about the source of the notices.
    In west London, the Polish and Social Cultural Association was vandalised with suspected racist graffiti on Sunday morning.
    The Metropolitan Police are investigating what it has called "racially motivated criminal damage".

r

Follow

fencelt @howgilb

these cards have actually been put through letter boxes of Polish families in Huntingdon today. I could weep
    12:26 PM - 25 Jun 2016

The alleged hate crimes occur just as Conservative Party chairwoman, Baroness Warsi, comes out against the "divisive and xenophobic" Brexit campaign.
    Ms Warsi, who stopped backing Leave in favour of Remain because of the "lies and hate" spread the Brexit movement, said the campaign had left behind hostility and intolerance.

"I've spent most of the weekend talking to organisations, individuals and activists who work in the area of race hate crime, who monitor hate crime, and they have shown some really disturbing early results from people being stopped in the street and saying look, we voted Leave, it's time for you to leave.

"And they are saying this to individuals and families who have been here for three, four, five generations. The atmosphere on the street is not good."
    Labour MP Jess Phillips said she would put forward a question to Parliament to find out how many incidents of racial hatred have been reported over the weekend compared to before the referendum.

Follow

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips

I will be putting in a parliamentary question to find out all incidents of racial hatred in the UK this weekend compared with last week
    2:39 AM - 26 Jun 2016

Sarah Childs is one of the creators of the Facebook page documenting alleged incidents.
    She told The Independent: "We have a lot of people asking us to just move on from the referendum result, but the people affected by these incidents can't move on while this is happening."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Isn't that just a case of you only hear about the bad incidents? I'm not denying they happen, but I mean you don't ever see pages praising the good relations between races and such.

I work on a site and to be fair it's predominantly foreign workers, we all get along fine and there's is no incidents to my knowledge.

Thanks to Ashley

diablos (14th July 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am not xenophobic or racist its just a fact that the UK's infrastructure is not build to handle the increased population and the rate it is increasing https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...meseries/ukpop

In the last 10 years we have nearly a 10% increase where as the previous 10 years it increased by 2%, this is due not only to immigration but also Medicine keeping more people living and also living longer.

Housing, School, NHS are all at breaking point, we cannot accommodate another 0.5mil year on year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sadly what has happened whether it was intended or not is that a worryingly large number have blamed immigrants for taking british jobs and there is an overwhelming Britain is the the british attitude being rallied up in the wake of this vote.

I believe what these people are confused with is the willingness of the EU workforce to put in a good days work for fair pay to do jobs that the british feel are beneath them with them actually stealing their jobs

And I'm not calling anyone racist when I say the parallels stink of pre-war Germany in he mid 30's, worrying signs indeed

The skinheads will be out polbashing any day just like they used to go pakibashing when I was a young lad..no I never went pakibashing nor am I anti Asian the word was used as a stark reminder of the sickness that has always existed here.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    I am not xenophobic or racist its just a fact that the UK's infrastructure is not build to handle the increased population and the rate it is increasing https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...meseries/ukpop

In the last 10 years we have nearly a 10% increase where as the previous 10 years it increased by 2%, this is due not only to immigration but also Medicine keeping more people living and also living longer.

Housing, School, NHS are all at breaking point, we cannot accommodate another 0.5mil year on year.
    Perhaps the Tory party could have used some of the huge amount of income from migrants working here to pay for new services? But, they didn't wanna do that so we got fucked and the immigrants got blamed.

4 Thanks given to Mule

CzarJunkie (27th June 2016),  Ganty (27th June 2016),  Over Carl (27th June 2016),  piggzy (27th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looking like there could be a spin-off labour party. I can't see Corbyn backing down, which he shouldn't, as he's representing democracy. The people that have left have fucked themselves. If they form another party then they've fucked the left wing too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sir Philip Green and the former BHS board must be loving this. A week ago that was all the news was interested in now you can't find a story not Brexit related without digging deep.

Thanks to piggzy

Mule (27th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Sir Philip Green and the former BHS board must be loving this. A week ago that was all the news was interested in now you can't find a story not Brexit related without digging deep.
    Fortunately I don't think we have to worry about the usual unpopular legislation going through while people are distracted. They're far too busy with the monumental shit storm we've caused.

Thanks to Mule

piggzy (27th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Perhaps the Tory party could have used some of the huge amount of income from migrants working here to pay for new services? But, they didn't wanna do that so we got fucked and the immigrants got blamed.
    I don't think we could build the houses, hospitals, roads, doctor surgery's, waste recycling centres, power stations etc to keep you with the steep growth in population if gone from 2%-10% in 20 years will it be 15% or over in the next 10 years, people are already talking about the 80mil mark

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast