Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help looking to buy a BMW 320D

Hi guys,

Looking for some tips on what to look out for common faults etc from owners if possible, im looking at a 2007 with my budget in mind.
    Any advice is welcome.

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: looking to buy a BMW 320D

My advice is to leech off the relevant owners forums. It's what I did before I bought my Audi A8. Once i had a common list of known issues with it, i then looked at difficulty of repair and associated costs. I actually took my list with me when I went looking at the cars I was interested in and ticked them off once I'd checked the relevant bit. I eventually bought an 08 plate and as such, whilst I wasn' t looking for perfection, I knew what to avoid because I did my homework

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice, tried that in the past with a skoda, and just got use the search function replies.
    seen a few nice models within my price range but it really is a minefield, if you read places like "honestjohns" people tend to post negatives and the read can put you off buying any car lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a 56 plate for 5 yrs, got rid of it last year and apart from the usual service parts the only thing that went wrong was a bulb went in the headlight. Absolutely cracking car imo and cant wait to to get another, looking at a 335 gt next. All I would say is make sure it has a full service history preferably a BMW one, not sure how you check that as the details are stored on the keyfob.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Make sure its not a Smokey Joe, if its kicking out black smoke under power then I would avoid ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers lads i know the basics to look out for its the more specific to that model though overall they do seem solid motors if looked after.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default looking to buy a BMW 320D

Cracking motors as you say if looked after had e46 rather than e90 in family since 2003 still going strong even after silly brother filled it with oil and it ran on-itself for around 5 mins [emoji849]

Even with heavy foot midn30's in the mpg and often gets late 50's early 60's on good runs on motorway m6 Liverpool upwards

The six speed box is at its most economical at 86mph work that one out lol (German roads my thinking)

Rust , window regulators and rear shocks common things to check out for the e90's ran in our fleet back when they came out

Msport runs a bit hard on back once you get older so try fine special edition (se) or even a sport which has Msport body kit but not the harder lower suspension

Like say ours has been bullet proof even though sounds bit rough after my brothers error still pulls hard and gets great mpg for a 13 year old car it's more than paid for itself since was new

I'm going to Slough tmrw to add a 330d to the family fleet fingers crossed its as described [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice cars, but I would be scared to own one powered by an N47 engine as you may get if you look for a 2007 320d - please see this previous post http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php/991190-bmw

Make sure everything works - some of these have lots of gadgets and it's easy to not notice something on a test drive that might cost a bit later down the road.

Bounce on the passenger seat and see if this triggers an airbag error - lots with faulty seat mats.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an e90 and love it although I've the petrol model its expensive to run . On my passsat I was using 25 quid a month on the e90 its 20 quid a week . I had a problem with mine when i bought it burning oil like crazy luckily I took extended warranty with mine also only 60000 miles on it. I thought shit there is no oil in that when I bought it put a litre in drove it for the weekend oil light back on in the monday wtf something not right here . Brought it back and was told it was the oil separater got it replaced happy days but the car was still burning oil and very smokey. Brought it back again and told him to fix it it was the oil stem valve seals very big job to do . Got it back and its running like a dream had the car just over a year only thing I've done to it was get a puncture fixed. Flew through mot no bother . Ive a video of the smoking car some were i will try and dig it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zzvk7ib2vI
    Last edited by bobo06; 27th June 2016 at 08:13 PM.

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Neighbor of mine has a 2007 330d and thinks it's epic. Personally i still don't rate it. Not that quick, Drinks oil and diesel like it's going out of fashion and inside its well cramped.

cant stand modern 3 series. Upgrade and get a 5 series and nothing
    less than a 2.5 litre engine.

id throw my cash elsewhere tho tbh

DJ OF

Thanks to DJ OD

Over Carl (27th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to agree I would much prefer a 5 over a 3.

However not everyone wants/needs the same thing, and a 3 feels a lot nicer to drive than a lot of cars in a similar bracket.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Swirl flaps and emissions sensor removal rings a bell but can't remember the engine size as think the 2 litres are a lot different.

DJ OD