So this is everywhere in the news at the moment and as I'm an avid Pokemon fan I thought I would give it a go. Strengthened by the fact that the game is made by Niantic who are responsible for Ingress which I play quite a bit I thought this has to be a winner for me.

Pokemon Go though, feels like a beta. The graphics are a bit too simple, there's not enough to do and it's just downright twitchy.

In Ingress you can collect portal keys which allow you to remotely manage/charge your portals - you can't manage the mods though as you have to be in close proximity to do this so this means that you will still visit the locations. There are items that are useable to protect and attack portals controlled by the opposition team and the graphics are slick - looking quite futuristic.

Move over to Pokemon Go and the basic characters look ok - they should Pokemon is an established franchise - but short of handing around (or walking around) and waiting for a Pokemon to "appear" close to you so you can catch them is a bit poorly done. There should be more to get users interacting - it looks like only a portion of the gameplay has ended up in the final product!

Levelling is very basic : Find a pokestop to get pokeballs, catch pokemon to gain xp - that's it. The fun starts to happen from level 5 when you can fight for control of the gyms but I have yet to even find a gym that is even possible to fight in because my Pokemon are still so low level and I've been playing since it launched in Oz!

All that said I will carry on as I think this will evolve (no pun intended) into a much bigger product - but the news stories today HAVE to be publicity to get it known that the game is out there. It never happened with Ingress which is basically the same game - just more grown up