Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Best method to label up mixed wires?

I know about tone generators and continuity kit but wondered if anyone could recommend a specific tool or even better technology for identifying cables? I have a job where there are CAT5 ports but they are not patched in as the previous tenant disconnected them without labelling to install CCTV into the patch panel. Rather than terminate them, use a cable tester, then patch them to the correct numbered ports is there a more efficient method? Preferably one that works with telephone cable as well as CAT5e twister pairs.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best method to label up mixed wires?

Doesn't solve your immediate problem but if this was something I needed on a regular basis I would be looking at making up a kit consisting of maybe half a dozen small circuit boards (or however many you are ever likely to need), each containing a voltage regulator with each regulator set to output a different voltage. Circuit #1 = 1v, circuit #2 = 2v, etc. At the patch panel you would use another circuit which you can plug into each of the ends in turn and this circuit would have a 9v battery which would power the remote circuit containing the voltage regulator which is connected to the other end of the cable.

Reading the voltage coming back would tell you which location you are connected to. You could use a multimeter to read from the circuit by adding a couple of 4mm plugs or the circuit could contain its own low cost lcd voltmeter as well. For more than 9 cables you could use two 9 volt batteries in series giving you up to 18 circuits that you can test. This would still require you to initially go to each location to plug in the voltage regulator circuits but from there on all the cables can be identified at the patch panel without having to go to each location to move the cable tester from one circuit to another.

You could even incorporate some led's that would indicate there is continuity on each pair which you would switch between using a manual switch or you could use a multiplexing chip as used in network cable testers that tests each wire in turn. This way the location of each cable and the continuity of each pair can all be done without too much running around.

Hmm, got me thinking - I wonder if there is a market for this type of thing? Patent office here I come. (">

Thanks to BigBird

evilsatan (12th July 2016)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best method to label up mixed wires?

Cheers mate, take a look and see! The two main types are the old tone generators which apparently don't cope too well with twisted pair network cable or continuity testers.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBird (12th July 2016)