Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Which Broadband Provider?

I've given Sky notice to end my package on 31st August due to being messed about by them plus the fact I think their TV sucks now and isn't worth the money.

Using the sam knows site these are the providers that provide my area.

• BT Wholesale ADSL
    • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
    • TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    • Sky Broadband
    • Virgin Media (Cable)

Which of these providers do not throttle speeds?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Which Broadband Provider?

No BT Fttc Fibre????

Virgin it is.

I have BT 80/20 Fibre and would have recommended that. Top CS and top speeds, no throttling/shaping or any form of restrictions.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with piggzy. I can personally recommend BT Infinity. Failing that then it has to be Virgin media (cable) (">

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

daft question when there's cable in your AREA

Thanks to Mickey

BigBird (15th July 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Which Broadband Provider?

TalkTalk don't cap or throttle I have fibre large which is max 79 down and 19 up ... very happy with it too

supe

PS Virgin traffic shape and drop your speed after so many gig downloaded at certain times of the day ... just left them
    Last edited by supraman54; 16th July 2016 at 12:45 AM. Reason: addition
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Thanks
    Karma Level

Latency is always better on coax but .

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    PS Virgin traffic shape and drop your speed after so many gig downloaded at certain times of the day ... just left them
    actually if your on tariffs above 30 meg your not
    Your guide to traffic management

We've got great news for all customers on our broadband tiers of 30Mb and above. After listening to your feedback, we've decided to stop applying our traffic management policy to download speeds. So now you can download as much as you like without worrying about traffic management slowing you down.
    Our new policy is simple:

• We only restrict upload speed
    • Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads

Minimum period of traffic management

60 minutes*
    When traffic management happens

Monday to Friday: 4:00PM-11:00PM

Saturday and Sunday:
    11:00AM-11:00PM
    In addition to this, we also apply a temporary speed limit to all peer-to-peer and Newsgroup traffic during peak times to ensure that they do not slow the network down for everyone. For more information please see the tables below.
    * If you reduce your usage below the threshold as soon as you enter traffic management, you can exit traffic management in 60 minutes. If you don’t, you may be in traffic management for 120 minutes or more and have further reductions in your speed. For more information, see the customer examples below.
    How do I get out of Traffic Management?

First of all, don’t worry. It’s just temporary and you can carry on using your broadband during traffic management anyway. It doesn’t stop anything you’re doing, you may just notice that your upload speeds have slowed. To get back to full speed all you need to do is reduce your upload usage during peak hours.
    This is important if you use peer-to-peer (P2P) networks a lot. P2P is software such as BitTorrent which allows you to download files that are stored on the hard drives of other users. Because you can also share content on your own hard drive, these applications usually require lots of uploads. This can happen in the background without you knowing but can mean you hit the usage thresholds during peak times.

Here are three examples of how a customer might be traffic managed:
    Customer One uploads more than the threshold for their tier of service and is traffic managed for the following 60 minutes. They notice that their upload speed has dropped due to traffic management and reduce what they’re doing straight away. At the end of the 60 minutes, they exit traffic management and their upload speed returns to normal.
    Customer Two uploads more than the threshold for their tier of service and is traffic managed for the next 60 minutes. They carry on using their upstream connection so heavily that their total usage triggers the 120 minute policy and a further cut in their upload speed. They then reduce what they are doing and 120 minutes after the second policy threshold was triggered they exit traffic management and their upload speed returns to normal.
    Customer Three uploads more than the threshold for their tier of service and is traffic managed for the next 60 minutes. They carry on using their upstream connection so heavily that they trigger the 120 minute policy and a further cut in their upload speed. Unless they reduce what they’re doing this customer will trigger repetitions of the 120 minute policy until the end of peak hours, and will be traffic managed for up to a maximum of 120 minutes in the off peak period. Only then will they exit traffic management and their broadband speed return to normal.
    While our upstream traffic management policy is designed to manage customers who upload an excessive volume of data, any customer uploading a large volume of data (whether the traffic management policy applies at that time or not) may impact their download speed. This is because the packet acknowledgements for the download may be delayed by upstream congestion, in turn meaning that the download server will have to wait for the acknowledgements to arrive before sending the next part of the file download. This will mean that the download is not able to make full use of your broadband service. To avoid this we suggest that you time your large uploads to happen when you are not trying to download large files or stream multiple pieces of HD content.
    To see detailed information about traffic management thresholds for broadband tiers of 30Mb and above, see the Thresholds tab and the table below.

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-m...or-higher.html

Thanks to Mickey

Argyll (21st July 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally was with TalkTalk until I moved to BT about 6 months ago. Yes BT cost more but I would never, never, ever touch TalkTalk again. Utter shit. Speed all over the place, zero customer service .. Just really, really bad.
    Same physical line with 4 other providers , completely different story so nothing to do with my line etc

Just my 2p.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Personally was with TalkTalk until I moved to BT about 6 months ago. Yes BT cost more but I would never, never, ever touch TalkTalk again. Utter shit. Speed all over the place, zero customer service .. Just really, really bad.
    Same physical line with 4 other providers , completely different story so nothing to do with my line etc

Just my 2p.

Depends where you live.

Out in Gargrave at my other home, were on BT and its absolutely shiit. supposed to be broadband lmao. the router is 5 years old and they want £70 for a new one. were unable to download from the sky box any HD content as it takes 20 minutes just for 1%. The lil lady is paying £60-70 amonth but not for much longer. Getting the new super whatever its called from Sky for £50

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    I've given Sky notice to end my package on 31st August due to being messed about by them plus the fact I think their TV sucks now and isn't worth the money.

Using the sam knows site these are the providers that provide my area.

• BT Wholesale ADSL
    • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
    • TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    • Sky Broadband
    • Virgin Media (Cable)

Which of these providers do not throttle speeds?
    Whats your exchange that list only shows the LLU providers with kit in the exchange surprised if it has no FTTC.
    VIP WOOP !

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use this to check BT availability:
    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

and this to see if/when fibre may rech your area:
    http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co....Superfast.aspx

Your county may even have its own site with more detail, e.g. Essex has this:
    http://www.superfastessex.org/en-gb/...henandhow.aspx

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (16th July 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with talktalk and couldn't be happier ( fingers crossed touch wood ) BT estimate me at 54-71, I'm getting 74 from talk talk, for the last 3 years ive had the full package including line rental for £35 and they just put it up to 40, looking at bt its £49 a month lol fook that,

but as ive mentioned in other posts my mate tried to go with talktalk and had the experience from hell with them,

its a isp lotto

actualy make it £55 for bt as I also have anytime calls included, that's mental how much ive saved compared to full price
    Last edited by pickie; 16th July 2016 at 12:05 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've signed up to Virgins 100mb package. I was reluctant to go with them again as I had them about 7 years ago on their 20mb package and they throttled my speed to around 6mb during peak times.

Mickey thanks for the update on Virgins new policy. That prompted me to go with them. I did consider BT but then someone at work queried why as I'd probably get the same speed as I have now as it comes in through the same line.

I went through TopCashBack so I should also get £147 back (hopefully) so it worked out costing me less than Sky's shitty 20mb package!!!
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even throttled it would still probably be quicker than adsl

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I highly rate Virgin Media broadband but don't rate their Super Hub at all.

My laptop wired gets about 210mb on a speed test, on wifi sitting next to the router it gets about 60mb-80mb. Same with iPhone 6S, iPad Air 2 & Galaxy A5.

It often drops the wireless connection just randomly, I get it once a day with my work laptop and never had it once with Sky.

I've got my work laptop hard wired in now.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I signed up for virgin today. £32.99 for 12 months bb and phone. Went through quidco and only tracked at £100 when the offer said £140.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

TalkTalk here too. Great Fibre service when they can provide it. When there is a problem its murder.
    Been with them almost 18 months and been solid for me. I download copious amounts too.

Thanks to DejaVu

supraman54 (24th July 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I signed up for virgin today. £32.99 for 12 months bb and phone. Went through quidco and only tracked at £100 when the offer said £140.
    Their TV, BB and phone was actually cheaper than just the BB and phone. Their TV service is shit imo but if it's cheaper it works for me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know why but my Mrs much prefers the TiVo over Sky HD. I find the UI lag really annoying.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brydo666 View Post
    I don't know why but my Mrs much prefers the TiVo over Sky HD. I find the UI lag really annoying.
    Agreed. My sister has Virgin TV and the lag is unbearable. I'll very rarely use it though as I'll be streaming more often than not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast