Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amazon to test delivery drones.

Can see it being an accident waiting to happen and will cost Amazon too much in missing drones as people grab them. Surprised ISIS haven't thought of using drones to send 'special deliveries' to crowded locations. They will easily get their hands on plenty of 'package' carrying drones if Amazon implements this. (">

-----------------------------------
    Amazon will step up its drone tests in UK airspace after winning approval from the Government to lift strict flying restrictions in a major boost to its plans for unmanned delivery aircraft. The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has granted the internet retailer special permission to test its aerial vehicles without several of the rules that typically bind drone pilots. The agreement will see Amazon move a step close to Jeff Bezos’s dream of fleets of drones delivering small packages directly to shoppers within 30 minutes.

The tests, which are due to begin imminently, are the most extensive trials of Amazon’s drones anywhere in the world. The company has been developing the technology at a research and development base in Cambridge and is believed to be testing the aircraft in a rural location south east of the city as well as a number of other areas.

Amazon’s agreement with the CAA grants it a series of concessions on drone flying rules. Amazon will be able to operate its vehicles without a direct line of sight, and will be able to trial “sense and avoid” technology that lets the drones automatically evade obstacles in the air. Unlike other drone flights, which require a pilot to be in control of a drone all times, Amazon will also be able to allow one pilot to control multiple autonomous vehicles. The restrictions are only being lifted in certain “controlled spaces” approved by the CAA.

Amazon unveiled the second prototype of its Prime Air drone last year. The vehicle, which is able to take off and land vertically but fly like a plane to cover distances, can fly for 10 miles at an altitude of 400 feet and carry packages of up to 5lb, but much of its autonomous flying technology is yet to be fully tested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...livery-drones/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amazon to test delivery drones.

It's interesting that you get your tech news from The Telegraph. That explains a lot.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    It's interesting that you get your tech news from The Telegraph. That explains a lot.
    Just because its the Telegraph doesn't mean it can't be factual. First heard this being discussed on the Jeremy vine show on radio 2 this afternoon. Suppose you will say that's a load of crap as well. After listening to Jeremy Vine I looked it up and found it reported in the Telegraph so decided to share. If you had made the effort of doing a search you would see it reported in other maybe more credible places. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Just because its the Telegraph doesn't mean it can't be factual. First heard this being discussed on the Jeremy vine show on radio 2 this afternoon. Suppose you will say that's a load of crap as well. After listening to Jeremy Vine I looked it up and found it reported in the Telegraph so decided to share. If you had made the effort of doing a search you would see it reported in other maybe more credible places. (">
    I think you missed my point. Again, that explains a lot. Take the afternoon off and rest your head.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I think you missed my point. Again, that explains a lot. Take the afternoon off and rest your head.
    What's your problem? If you have nothing to say about the news report then why say anything at all. It's unfortunate because I think you are quite an intelligent person otherwise and usually post some interesting points.

You keep saying "that explains a lot" - well rather than everyone having to guess, tell us all then what does it explain exactly? (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    It's unfortunate because I think you are quite an intelligent person.
    Buhahahahahahahahaaaaaaa , will I get a certificate through the post?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its vapor ware IMHO just because of the practicalities of the whole idea.

I think the same for JustEat's delivery bots that my electronics engineer friend called "moving spare parts"

http://www.just-eat.co.uk/blog/delivery-bots/

Thanks to JonEp

Gunnzie (27th July 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    Its vapor ware IMHO just because of the practicalities of the whole idea.
    What are they?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    What are they?
    In urbanization delivery the drone would have so many possible physical hazards to overcome when delivering a package its almost unworkable and then there is the law as it currently stands:

1. Strung over head wires such as telephone and power cables cables, string festive lights and bunting etc.

2. People and other movable objects that may suddenly occupy the space intended to be occupied by the drone.

3. Control and command communication frequencies locally occupied by a stronger but unrelated signal.

4. The locals kid who would take great enjoyment in capturing the drone and the cargo.

In any event it is vaporware right now because to operate lawfully in UK would require a Civil Aviation Authority licence and those who have one are on the register published here:

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...rrentDates.pdf

Whilst there is a company called AMAZON STUDIOS LIMITED on that list it appears to have no connection to the Amazon in context of this thread.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08922714

Even with a licence the law as it currently stands does not allow the operation of UAV flying within 150 metres of a congested area and 50 metres of a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the pilot.

EDIT: Just for fun the last paragraph was sourced from the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...are-the-rules/
    Last edited by JonEp; 27th July 2016 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks to JonEp

Over Carl (27th July 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

See, I saw a few of those as faults too, but then, they'll probably be flying at a couple of hundred feet up, avoiding cables etc. Once they get to the delivery point they can drop straight down vertically. All it would take is the receiving pad to be placed somewhere with clear airspace above it.

Capturing them wouldn't be easy, you'd have no idea when or where they would be delivering and as before, it would be a moving target at a great height. If people did manage to take them down they'd know exactly where.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As for frequencies, they wouldn't have to have constant connection, once the destination is loaded they could operate autonomously.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post

Capturing them wouldn't be easy, you'd have no idea when or where they would be delivering and as before, it would be a moving target at a great height. If people did manage to take them down they'd know exactly where.
    It could become a technological game of jamming frequencies both control and GPS and then watch them fall to the ground or just shoot them out of the sky.

If I'm wrong and we are plagued with flying drones carrying Amazon products then I'm sure there will be a new DF area here dedicated to the subject!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'd likely end up with a book or something equally worthless and it wouldn't be worth the risk.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My concern about the practicality is the range, there's only so many hubs they could have that would stock all the stuff people wanted. I suppose they only need to prove the concept though and they can work on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I suspect this is more publicity and a proof of concept. A longer term view will be much larger drones with multiple drops, like an autonomous flying van but without the stupid human who puts your parcel in your wheelie bin.

Although I think a wiser area for Amazon's R&D dollars should be autonomous road vehicles with a robot to cover the last few yards of delivery. That's got to be the future.