Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: qnap / synology / whatever NAS boxes for idiot proof media streaming

Hi
    Well for me the whole point was I got a proper server with ECC memory and capable of running win server 2012 v2, virtualisation and running a "lab" for cheaper than a price of a decent branded NAS, for you it looks like this is not the case :-(
    I have both a T20 and an HP gen 8 and they were the best money I ever spent as I mess around with them every day. If you only want as a media server and place to store your photos and you wont have other people sharing and transcoding then maybe a synology (with fantastic OS) or Qnap is for you.
    LS

P.S. dont be tempted by cheap thecus, they suck donkey dick
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: qnap / synology / whatever NAS boxes for idiot proof media streaming

I got a QNAP TS-412 about 6 years ago - put 4 x1tb drives in and set it up as one big RAID5 to store media/photos/PC backups etc. it ran perfectly until about this time last year when one of the drives failed - fitted the spare drive and let it rebuild overnight - it was a bit slow so I pushed the boat out and got a new QNAP TS-453, and stuffed it with 4 x 4tb drives again set up as a RAID5 - it's miles quicker than the 412 and it runs Plex Media server to stream local media to mobiles and tablets around the house as well as Couchpotato, NZBget and Sonarr so ticks all my boxes. I also got 4 new 2TB drives and replaced all the drives in the TS-412 so it's still running providing extra storage space as well.

I can't fault QNAP stuff personally I know others will have different opinions but that's that same for anything "your mileage may vary~" as they say

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    I got a QNAP TS-412 about 6 years ago - put 4 x1tb drives in and set it up as one big RAID5 to store media/photos/PC backups etc. it ran perfectly until about this time last year when one of the drives failed - fitted the spare drive and let it rebuild overnight - it was a bit slow so I pushed the boat out and got a new QNAP TS-453, and stuffed it with 4 x 4tb drives again set up as a RAID5 - it's miles quicker than the 412 and it runs Plex Media server to stream local media to mobiles and tablets around the house as well as Couchpotato, NZBget and Sonarr so ticks all my boxes. I also got 4 new 2TB drives and replaced all the drives in the TS-412 so it's still running providing extra storage space as well.

I can't fault QNAP stuff personally I know others will have different opinions but that's that same for anything "your mileage may vary~" as they say

the qnap stuff seems to be plentiful on taobao, I'll look into that as an alternative.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12