Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default qnap / synology / whatever NAS boxes for idiot proof media streaming

I'm currently running my main PC as a plex media server, which isn't perfect but its functional across the Chinese tellys we have in the house. I couldnt get xbmc or plex on the TVs but there's a basic app on them as default that does the job and I kinda gave up trying to make it work as I'd like once the wife had been silenced by having access to her shite tv shows. The app uses DLNA, no idea what that means but it usually works.

My father in law has seen this in action and wants me to set up something similar, which I managed to put him off initially when I told him you needed a PC, but he's been 'somewhere' and seen someones set up running what I assume was some sort of small NAS box which worked 'the same'.

I think the set up he saw may have been some DIY solution, but he's absolutely clueless so I am looking at one of the all in one 2 bay solutions like the cheap qnap / synology boxes which seem to cost around 200 quid.

So, my basic question is, can I get him one of these boxes, dump it next to his router and he'll be able to do the exact same thing as he's seen the wife doing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: qnap / synology / whatever NAS boxes for idiot proof media streaming

Myself and a fair few others use a HP Microserver. Cheap as chips and mines been solid.

DJ OD

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: qnap / synology / whatever NAS boxes for idiot proof media streaming

The micro server is much more versatile. I originally had a ReadyNAS Ultra running sabnzbd, sick beard and couch potato so it would grab the films, sort them and then I could stream to xbmc/kodi or plex or use dlna to connect to the network although some codecs may not work. I now use the ReadyNAS as a file store and also have a micro server which runs sonarr instead of sick beard and the other apps I mentioned.

im not sure what your bandwidth is like but you may even find kodi on a fire TV stick is useful, you can either install a build so you stream stuff if you had a VPN to get around the great firewall or you can use it to connect to your NAS so you have a more functional media system than built in dlna.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a synology before switching to HP microserver..
    The synology was excellent apart from one thing, I think it was the 212j model or similar. It's processor wasn't powerful enough to transcode Plex. Hence the switch to n54l.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

cool, some good options here.

A quick question, why would you need to transcode? Do we need to transcode if the network isn't fast enough to stream media directly?

As for the microserver, thats something I'll look into, but the focus for the purchase here is simplicity, he wont be doing anything with the box at all other than using it as storage for tv shows and movies so as long as his TV (using the same app my wife uses) can read his media, he'll be happy.

A quick search brings up microservers ranging from a shade under 200 quid to a shade under 400quid, is that about right?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I love my Gen8 HP microserver which i got on a cashback deal and this was the best money I ever spent. I also really loved the Synology O/S so used Xpenology on it for a year or so, but now changed to UNRAID.
    Good luck
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    cool, some good options here.

A quick question, why would you need to transcode? Do we need to transcode if the network isn't fast enough to stream media directly?

As for the microserver, thats something I'll look into, but the focus for the purchase here is simplicity, he wont be doing anything with the box at all other than using it as storage for tv shows and movies so as long as his TV (using the same app my wife uses) can read his media, he'll be happy.

A quick search brings up microservers ranging from a shade under 200 quid to a shade under 400quid, is that about right?

Current deal is £35 cash back so net price about £130ish inc VAT ===> http://www.serversplus.com/servers/t...ers/819185-421
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant fault the Synology DS415+, I use one at home and one at work. They just work and are simple to set up. Looks like the Synology DiskStation DS216play may suit your requirements.

Thanks
    Karma Level

right, the synology DS216play and the HP microserver G1610 seem to come in at roughly the same price here, about 1700RMB, or a shade under 170 quid which is slightly more than his budget but I think I can swing that. For a noob, which one is better?

Judging by the specs it looks like the HP has much more beef, but can I configure it so be goof proof?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Exactly the conclusion I came to, Synology comes with their great O/S and HP with superior hardwear and no O/S. as I said previously I loaded Xpenology O/S on HP to get best of both, but this fell short as you cannot do updates for fear of ending up with borked system.
    I forgot you were in China, lol @ the RMB - if you werent another solution would have been the Dell T20 tower, which comes out at under £100 with cashback in UK.
    If its for media and back ups and you want to just setup and walk away - Synology wins, if you were in UK and it was for you I would go HP with UNRAID O/S.
    LS

Thanks to Lou_smorals

MHP (5th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can get the T20 here, although prices range from 1800 to 4000 RMB and I have no idea the differences.

I think I will probably go the synology route, it'll be good to test it out for myself and then I can decide if I should buy one myself too.

Whats likely to be the biggest shortcoming of the synology?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    the software is fantastic, the hardware is very expensive for what you get, drive and memory and CPU limitations.
    LS

Thanks to Lou_smorals

{{909}} (5th August 2016)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's less versatile as you rely on apps written for it whereas on the server you can install Windows which gives you more freedom. However in your case the NAS probably does all you need.

Thanks
    Karma Level

right, I'm back off me jollies and work has told me not to come in for a week (!) so I am free to finally pluck up the courage to click buy on one of these.

Found one on taobao which is specc'ed as a

Gen8 / G1610T (dual core 2.3ghz/2mb/35w) / 4GB ECC 2

For the equiv of about 140 quid. Does that sound right?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't really go wrong at that price, build quality and design is much better than its predecessor and even on the best deals over here they were £100 give or take.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's the one I got a while back. Was £110 after cashback and worth every penny. Got mine if ebuyer but they are 150 now.

Cant go wrong even at that price.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

bugger, It seems that all the ones on taobao are coming from Germany, which throws another 50 to 60 quid delivery on top.

Thanks
    Karma Level

found some time to search again and the best deal I can get on 4gig Gen 8 HP seems to be about 220 quid, for that money, should I be looking at something else?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Too expensive, once you add drives, possible memory/cpu upgrade and possible O/S. Have you no family in UK that can get it for you when cashback is on, this would net it down to just over £100 after cashback.
    If power usage is not a biggy then the Dell T20 has cashback on and making it net under £100 in UK, I know I wouldnt mind helping you buy in UK, I am sure others on here would also.
    these two units both offer a very affordable server rather than cheaper ones that are really just NAS and CPU is just not up to being proper media server, as I previously mentioned.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    Too expensive, once you add drives, possible memory/cpu upgrade and possible O/S. Have you no family in UK that can get it for you when cashback is on, this would net it down to just over £100 after cashback.
    If power usage is not a biggy then the Dell T20 has cashback on and making it net under £100 in UK, I know I wouldnt mind helping you buy in UK, I am sure others on here would also.
    these two units both offer a very affordable server rather than cheaper ones that are really just NAS and CPU is just not up to being proper media server, as I previously mentioned.
    LS

I could ask a relative I guess, how would I keep a tabs on when the cashback thing is available?

I'm not sure if, after postage and the risk of it getting damaged / lost if the saving is worth it, although when I weigh up the cost of drives, it does start to sound a little less appealing.

I just built a box to try out unraid and freenas, although I didn't really get as far into testing as I would have liked. Is there any advantage to dedicated server hardware like the microservers over say a mini ITX build with the similar spec? At 200+quid, I may look at that option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast