Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport Hull 2-1 Leicester: Wes Morgan says Foxes defeat a reality check

Leicester captain Wes Morgan says his side's shock opening-day defeat at Hull was the "reality check" they needed at the start of their title defence.
    The Foxes, who lost only three out of 38 Premier League games in 2015-16, were beaten 2-1 by the newly promoted and managerless Tigers at KCOM Stadium.
    "We tried, but we were second-best," Morgan told Sky. "Hull deserved to win.

"We need to learn from the negatives to put it right. We will work in training and cut out the little mistakes."
    Leicester looked vulnerable defensively against a makeshift Hull side and also struggled up front, with Jamie Vardy missing three good chances.
    "It was the first game so there was always going to be a bit of rust on the players," Morgan added. "We need to dust that off and come back better.
    "At the top everyone looks for you to fall - we need to show it's a blip, and that we can bounce back."
    Our effort was individual, not as a team - Ranieri

Foxes boss Claudio Ranieri felt his side, which featured two summer signings in Ahmed Musa and Luis Hernandez, failed to gel.
    "Our effort was amazing but it was individual, not as a team and that is the key of the match," Ranieri explained.
    "We tried to win but sometimes it's impossible - they defended very well. We made some mistakes and we have to think where we made them."
    Phelan to stay on until Hull ownership resolved

Hull caretaker boss Mike Phelan revealed after the game that he will stay in charge until the ownership of the club is resolved.
    Steve Bruce left his role as manager on 22 July - a breakdown in his relationship with vice-chairman Ehab Allam contributing to his departure.
    Tigers fans protested before the game, calling for owner Assam Allam to sell the club.
    "All I'm aware of is that a takeover is happening," Phelan said. "It's not a finalised deal yet. I'm in charge up to that point - I agreed to that.
    "There's a week to the next game [against Swansea next Saturday] and a lot will happen in that time I'm sure."
    Everyone pulled together to beat Leicester - Phelan

Hull have not made any significant signings since they were promoted via the play-offs and injuries meant Phelan only had a wafer-thin squad to pick from against the defending champions.
    "We set our stall out to make sure we had a foothold in the game," Phelan said. "It was great to see everyone pulled together and we got a result that surprised a few people.
    "It's a difficult situation for players but they are professionals. They've earned the right to be here and they enjoyed themselves.
    "The players bonded well together and all put that extra bit in. The icing on the cake is when you get a result.
    "We're working hard. I'm sure Steve [Bruce] will have enjoyed that result as well."
    Last edited by Nikki; 14th August 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hull 2-1 Leicester: Wes Morgan says Foxes defeat a reality check

I know it's only one game, but I do believe the fairy tale is now over for Leicester. Shame, but I predict a mid-table finish at best.

They'll probably win the Champions League though!

Thanks to CominAtcha

Ganty (15th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hull 2-1 Leicester: Wes Morgan says Foxes defeat a reality check

Quote Originally Posted by CominAtcha View Post
    I know it's only one game, but I do believe the fairy tale is now over for Leicester. Shame, but I predict a mid-table finish at best.

They'll probably win the Champions League though!
    I honestly couldn't care at this point. They've won the Prem, which I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Arsenal will be interesting next week.