Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice New Battery Oddity

Hi, I finally got round to swapping my iPhone 5 battery which had started to lose power and I had to charge it 2-3 times a day, though that is with lots of use. It also started to blow and pushing the screen out!

After browsing the battery threads in this section, googling and watching YouTube clips; I purchased one from eBay for £10.99 stating '100% ORIGINAL iPhone 5 Internal Battery Li-ion OFFICIAL Genuine apple certified' with tool kit. Good the battery took some convincing to get out! After 2 hours of very careful surgery it was all back together where I left it to charge for 8 hours as there was not enough power to start up. This morning I unplugged it and gave it a run. It started to drop down a few percent after 5 mins. By the time I arrived at work it had reached 70% with just a few internet searches. It was down to 57% a few hours later with
    no use, and then went dead after taking some photos. I have since charged it and similarly again it dropped a percent every 20 secs when using some heavy apps. The percentage can drop over 20% in one go. Sometimes it will turn back on if I press the power button after a few minutes and show 50% and then shut down after a little use, wanting it plugging in.

i'm about to contact the seller but was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this? I don't think I'd get away with using the old battery as it is like putty trying to remove it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Battery Oddity

'100% ORIGINAL iPhone 5 Internal Battery Li-ion OFFICIAL Genuine apple certified' <<< The only Genuine bit of truth from an Ebay seller is that it will not be a Genuine Apple Certified battery. It'll be a cheap chinese put together and will probably melt your face off.

I mean, what other is there than either 0% Genuine or 100% Genuine? What would happen if I was able to purchase a 72.6% genuine battery? What's involved in that?

Ebay: The worlds biggest back street market of dodgy and fake goods. I'd contact the seller, send it back, get a refund and arrange for a proper "Apple" battery to be put in.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol, I just followed advice from previous members questions on here about buying a battery! Apple don't supply but charge something like £80. The advice I took not of was to look for one listed as 'genuine iPhone battery' and not 'genuine battery for iPhone'! Paying more than ones £5 cheaper made me believe surely this can't be wrong!

I get fed up on 90% of my dealings on eBay. You almost feel that everyone else is a total tw@ on there. I'll contact the tw@ now and see if I can get my money back without losing postage fees. It almost feels like blackmail when it comes to feedback!

Anyone who can recommend a seller of an IPhone 5 battery, I'd be most grateful

Thanks to dainese

dpSparhawk (18th August 2016)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Replacebase are who I use for batteries as they are suppliers of genuine kit, if their eBay sales or website says genuine/original then it's the actual Apple part.

Thanks to evilsatan

dainese (19th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just received this message back: Dear

We are sorry for any inconvenience . your item might get damage in transit . would you like a replacement ?
    Regards

Find that hard to believe! I'll end up having to send it back at my cost and wasted te with the whole issue!

Thanks to dainese

jaygo (19th August 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dainese View Post
    Just received this message back: Dear

We are sorry for any inconvenience . your item might get damage in transit . would you like a replacement ?
    Regards

Find that hard to believe! I'll end up having to send it back at my cost and wasted te with the whole issue!
    Reply back and say you would like a replacement and they will probably just send you another one and not care about getting the old one back. Happened to me on quite a few things from that side of the planet
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

PayPal claim mate. If anyone argues just say sold as genuine, and was fake goods.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

It reads as if they are on the other side of the planet, but it was a UK sales and arrived in 3 days. They have 2 more for sale but had previously sold used ones with positive feedback. Do I take a chance and believe it was just a dud, or take my money to Replacebase? Their battery and toolkit is identicle but also includes the adveshive. I think I'll go with the referred option!

Thanks
    Karma Level

evilsatan has a lot of experience in these areas and I would also follow his guidance.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

dainese (21st August 2016)