Close

View Poll Results: How much would you spend on a new phone?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • £0 - £100

8 18.18%
  • £150 - £250

17 38.64%
  • £250 - £350

8 18.18%
  • £350 - £500

6 13.64%
  • £500- £700

1 2.27%
  • £700 - £900

4 9.09%
  • Dan Bilzerian

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How much would you pay for a phone?

I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread so decided to create a new one.

I personally have never spent more than €350 on a new phone (Nexus 5X) as that's pretty much my justifiable limit.

The purpose of this thread is not to be anti-Apple or whatever, just look at Samsung, they're similarly priced.

I just want to get a general idea of what people are willing to spend on a new phone to see if you're all lunatics or if it's just the odd one or two

Thanks to cyprus

GTI (14th September 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How much would you pay for a phone?

I've never bought or had a brand new phone ever since my first 3210 which was my wife's old work phone. I always get an 18 month old model in good condition from ebay. Can't really justify spunking £500 on a device that may be half a second faster at loading a webpage.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

cyprus (14th September 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

£350 - £500 - I love flagship phones, but not their prices. So my strategy is usually to get last year's model at around half the price (I usually try and go for refurbs with warranty).
    We're getting to the stage now where most smartphones being released (including the cheap Chinese ones) are all pretty good. They have branded components (e.g. Ulefone Power has a Sony battery and Camera sensor and yet costs £130) and are reliable enough to last a couple of years.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Thanks
    Karma Level

About £250 max for me. Anything more and I am scared to use it for fear of damaging it and devaluing it.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've gone down the cheap Chinese phones route, they run the apps I want.

I can do everything I want to on mine so why spend a fortune on anything else.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

I prefer relatively cheep and cheerful handsets for a couple of reasons:

I used to be notorious at losing phones. Haven't actually lost one for about 3-4 years now but still something I consider when considering phone prices.
    I am terrible at destroying phones. Varying from the usual dropped it on the floor, to other times I've been bending in some stupid position to perform electrical tests and find I've destroyed my phone in the process, even down to times I've hurled my phone across the room/at the floor/once even had a mini football game with a phone that really pissed me off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post

I think where the big brands can distinguish themselves is build quality, customer service and most important for me.. camera quality and software. For that reason I would be happy to pay a premium for a Samsung or Apple, because although I do have a Ulefone Power as my spare, the picture quality (probably software related) is shockingly poor.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Those boxes also seem reasonably ticked by the Moto G (budget smartphone).

Build quality seems decent.
    Only once had to put in a support ticket which was promptly and thoroughly answered.
    Gets updates to newer Android versions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post

Exactly what I've done.. got my son a xiaomi mi4c for £160 and the mi5 for me at £240.

The mi5 has the ideal screen size for me and is a cracking phone all round

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I believe in buying outright and not get anything on contract. Only makes the overpriced handset more overpriced. I have become a bit of an apple fan boy of late, only becsuse I've not had any reasons to complain about their stuff.

Also I don't tend to lose handsets and they are looked after well. I would say I am a
    moderate to high user as well and can't really do without a handset for too long.

I have had iPhones for years and kept them for a good two years before selling on (or give to dorris) Had a 4, then a 5S and now a 6, which I've had more or less since launch. Oddly enough the 6 was the only one I've had to get swapped due to fault.

If I had to go the android route, I've had some experiences with Sam Gals but I thought they were poor builds. I like the builds more of the nexus range and reckon that Motorola probably have best value and quality.

Given I keep phones for a good few years I would easily pay up to £500 for a phone. Maybe more. Saying that my 6 was £400 off the back of a lorry so to speak... And the 5s I got of a DF member for £350 I think and it was mint. Getting a phone on launch or new doesn't really matter to me. So would be happy to wait 6 months and get the latest iPhone a few quid cheaper.

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

cyprus (14th September 2016),  Over Carl (14th September 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A few years ago i used to have to have the latest phone no matter what, every year i would change even though there was nothing wrong with the model i was using, looking back, what a waste of money that was.

I've had a Note 3 for 3 years now, paid £150 for it and it does everything i want so i wont be changing anytime soon, unless it breaks, and then i'll probably go the cheap Chinese route.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something like the Oneplus 3 tops out my budget. Couldn't justify much more for myself.

Got the daughter an iphone6s last Xmas that's costing me a fortune, think it was £120 upfront and £37pm. At least she'll be old enough to get her own contract next time round and we'll see then if it's the phone or bank of Dad that's been the puller.

That said, Apple have recently done a deal with Barclays to provide the iphone 7 on interest-free loan over 20 months but you still need to sort the network sim out yourself. Apparently can work out over £350 cheaper than getting it on contract direct with a provider.

Still way woo expensive for me personally.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The most I ever spent was £500 on a HTC Desire HD. Then moved on to a Nexus 4 for £250 then Nexus 6 for £300. Wouldn't spend more than £350 now. Just bought my mum a Moto G for £99 and its a cracking phone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most expensive for me was the original Nokia Communicator - cost me nearly a grand! Well worth it though as I could access IRC whilst on the move which at the time was unheard of but then I ran a number of FTP servers etc and needed to keep an eye on things. Cost me a fortune in WAP charges though lol
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive only had a couple of smart phones, the first beaing the OG HTC desire which was a pricey handset at the time at about 400 quid but I got a great deal on a 12month contract so it didnt seem so expensive when I was paying barely anything more including the calls and texts etc. That badboy is still in the draw after taking 4 years of abuse. I think I paid a shade over 200 for my current LG G2, which still looks and works great but isnt compatible with 4G networks here so I want to replace it with something 4G. 250 is my limit, so it'll probably be the 1plus3.

Fucking baffles me when you see people waiting for the bus to go to their minimum wage job waving the latest 600+ quid handset.

its just a fucking phone.

Thanks to {{909}}

Ashley (14th September 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cant justify over about £200... Well I could but when I bought a flagship phone I found same as all smart phones I have, after a couple of weeks I just use it to make phone calls and send texts/emails.
    Other than that I will read the news and check the weather. I can do that with comfort on a sub £200.

Good camera is nice I suppose but as the Mrs is a photographer, I'll let her deal with that lot.

I recently bricked my phone due to water damage dug out an old Nokia (not smart phone). With out realising about 6 months has passed. Not bothered me other than reading the news tbh

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Usually buy whatever nexus device is the latest but I'm going Chinese for my next phone. Apart from a hairline crack in my screen (overcarl is right about bending into wierd positions with a phone in your pocket) there is nothing really wrong with it. I had an Elephone P8000 for 2 months before the Nexus 5X was released and couldn't fault it. I actually missed the huge battery when I changed to the nexus 5x.
    Last edited by beerman; 14th September 2016 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I originally started on contract phones all the nokia classics upgrading ever year on the day my contract expired without fail. Then went to orange SPV's and became a windows CE fan so had the SPV branded pda phones that orange were knocking out loaded up with tom tom sat nav, till I got one with a slide out keyboard which was awesome as I was typing emails, word documents and using excel all day on the phone while working onsite. I had most of them M1000, M500, M3100 TyTn TyTn2

They then stopped doing them so I stuck with the same phone SPV TYtn2 for years and orange just kept replacing it when it went faulty. Nothing really interested me till I finally bit the bullet and realised they weren't going to do another phone with keyboard so bought a nokia lumia 710 I think it was for about £90 PAYG ditched the new sim and cut my old one up to fit the phone. Kept that for years till earlier this year when it would be a pain to charge up and again did the same thing went and bought the lumia 650. It does what I want, facebook web browsing, email and office and solitaire for when on the bog.

Not a fan of the apple os or android I like windows and windows phones are pretty cheap unless you go for the top one which is expensive but not as expensive as the Samsung and iphones plus I don't want something the size of a tablet and unfortunately phones are getting massive the old lumia 710 was compact but nothing similar size was available.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

2 Thanks given to Little John

cyprus (14th September 2016),  Over Carl (14th September 2016)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wont pay over £100 these days. I used to be on a contract with Virgin for about 6 years then got a new upgrade when it was due. I realised the best savings were to get someone elses upgrade from fleabay and go sim only. I am now on a Lumia 735 which I love. it does all I need and only cost me £60 and came with 10 different covers for it.

Why spend a lot of money when you don't have to. some people love the fashion statement, that's ok for them. Just not for me

Thanks to Mickey

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't remember how much I paid for it but I ordered the iPhone 6 128GB from Apple on the preorder day and that was probably my most expensive purchase but by the looks of it I will keep it for a third year now and so far it has behaved itself, I replaced the battery once. I tend to buy the phone outright so it is factory unlocked and works out cheaper when paired with a sim only, put it on a credit card and you can spread the payments how you wish.

Remember getting the iPhone 4 on release day and sold it to someone in Iraq for over a grand, had plenty of offers for up to £900 from the likes of Japan etc. too. Obviously did my due diligence before sending it, used Fedex and insured full value, didn't have a problem. Don't think there will be that hype for another Apple product anytime soon though, the 4 was such an improvement on the design of the 3GS.

Thanks to evilsatan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast