Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Gameboy Zero build

Small update, got brave today after receiving this:

Drilled some holes, well in all fact I got my uncle to do it as every hole I've ever drilled goes wonky.

I've tested the buttons on both. The yellow is fine and works ok but the buttons are a bit stiff. That was just a test fit so some filing will sort that out.
    The grey how ever I can't get the buttons to work properly. The X button works fine but the Y button rarely works. They looked a mile off when the board was inserted as they didn't line up properly with the pcb. I might have to get drastic on that one and really file it down although it will probably leave a small gap above the button. It'll need a mm or two shaving.

I realised I need to buy a few more buttons as I only have 6. I'll probably get some more gameboy red ones for the grey. I also need to buy a new soldering iron wand. I have a Weller EC2000 which is about 25 years old. It just doesn't get hot enough any more and I think it's the wires in the wand that are at fault rather than the soldering iron base station. Otherwise I'm doing it with a gas soldering iron which gets too hot and has no temp control either, the tip is also as fat as Rick Waller.

I was looking at the battery positioning again for mr grey. In my haste and a few too many glasses of wine last night I cut off the clip for the back then realised if I glue it down now how the fuck am I going to screw the shell together. So the plan is now leave the back off until the last minute, screw it all together and then glue on the back with hot glue. Using hot glue for the back will mean if something goes wrong at least I can still take it apart, superglue wouldn't give me that option.

2 Thanks given to beerman

Ganty (18th October 2016),  JonEp (16th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Another option for buttons

These are from a cheap chinese SNES controller

Thanks
    Karma Level

Beerman, where did you get the screen from? Reading around some are much better than others, but I can see yours works pretty well.

If anyone is interested, I should have a few spare gameboy colour shells arriving at some point this week. Note though, they ARE smaller than the original gameboy so might be a tighter squeeze. Should have 2 spare so first come first served and all that.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have two different screens. One was from gearbest and the other was taken from a rear view monitor for a car.

http://www.gearbest.com/development-...47.html?wid=21

The BW screens are a gamble as the board could actually be slightly bigger than the screen. I got a V7 variant so the board is tiny.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TFT-LCD-Rea...rds=bw+3.5inch

The advantage of the BW screen is that is has the 3 buttons to work the menu so I can change brightness/contrast/etc. The gearbest screen is set with no option to change and no header for the button breakout board on the main board.

Both screens needed modding to work on 5v. They both worked out the box on 5v but were flickering. Modding stopped the flicker.

If you are using a Gameboy color shell the 3.5inch screen might be a bit too big. You'll probably need to scale it down to a 2.5.

Thanks to beerman

Ganty (18th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Another small update:

So close I can taste it

Still to do on this one (a lot):
    Wire teensy to control PCB (wires already cut to size)
    Wire volume pot to control pcb
    Wire power to control pcb.
    Find another fecking usb hub. It was working the other day, I plugged it into my pc and it says usb device unrecognised ffs. For now I might just wire the teensy directly to the pi and add a hub for the external usb port and wifi later.
    Wire screen to pi (I disconnected it due to it being easier to work on in 2 halves).
    Fit the L/R buttons (need to dremmel the rear shell)
    Fit it all together and work out how much I need to shave off for the X/Y buttons to make a good contact, at the moment they are slightly off and only get a contact if pressed hard.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

FFS fried my teensy. I've shorted somewhere but can't see where. When I plug it in it just gets hot.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    FFS fried my teensy. I've shorted somewhere but can't see where. When I plug it in it just gets hot.
    Mate I'm not 100% sure but I may have a teensy you can have. I think I got one for the same reason loads of others did a few years ago.

Thanks to Ashley

beerman (18th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Really? I was just about to buy another, that would be amazing. I think I'm done with this one, I've de-soldered everything and it still doesn't work when plugged into the usb port.

On a happy note the yellow build will get going again soon, my shutdown switch has just shipped so at least I can get the wiring done on that one. It doesn't require a teensy (thank god) as it's built into the control PCB. Only 2 wires need to go to the pi from the pcb, that should be shipping in about 3 weeks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Really? I was just about to buy another, that would be amazing. I think I'm done with this one, I've de-soldered everything and it still doesn't work when plugged into the usb port.

On a happy note the yellow build will get going again soon, my shutdown switch has just shipped so at least I can get the wiring done on that one. It doesn't require a teensy (thank god) as it's built into the control PCB. Only 2 wires need to go to the pi from the pcb, that should be shipping in about 3 weeks.
    I think so, I'll know when home from work and check.

It's something that'll just be left and never used, at least you'll use it.

Thanks to Ashley

beerman (18th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't get to check last night I'll deffo look this evening for you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I didn't get to check last night I'll deffo look this evening for you.
    No bother. I bought one anyway.

Thanks to beerman

Ashley (20th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No bother. I bought one anyway.
    I just checked when I saw you're quote notification, I haven't got a teensy but 5 amaze break sticks which were similar.

If they are any use you're welcome to them?

Thanks to Ashley

beerman (20th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I just checked when I saw you're quote notification, I haven't got a teensy but 5 amaze break sticks which were similar.

If they are any use you're welcome to them?
    Don't even know what they are? Have you got a link? My next project is probably going to be a bartop arcade machine so if they can control inputs I'll have them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's alive

Still to do:
    Wire volume pot to control pcb
    Wire power to control pcb.
    Find a usb hub and wire it up.
    Reprogram the teensy. I knew I had to as I wired it using a ribbon and didn't want to swap wires at either end. It's programmed for WSAD for up/down/left right instead of how I've connected which is up/left/down/right.
    Glue everything in place.

4 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (21st October 2016),  cyprus (21st October 2016),  Ganty (21st October 2016),  {{909}} (21st October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a controller pcb for the GBC? Everyone I can find is the DMG model.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a controller pcb for the GBC? Everyone I can find is the DMG model.
    Helder who is making the AIO and audio pcbs said if there is enough interest he will do one. Not a lot of interest so far.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yellow one is alive.

I created a little battery pack out of the back cover and a 3d printed part I glued to the cover. The battery fits snug but I glued it in place also to be sure.

I bought a Pi Zero W as it has built in wireless and bluetooth but when I was moving the board around I managed to rip the pad off (left pad above the 2nd micro usb)

So back to the old board and I wired the damn thing up

And it works.

I didn't like the black buttons in the end so ripped apart a £2 snes controller for the purple (the red are standard gameboy buttons).

Still to do:
    I need a wire in a USB adaptor to get the games on. I only have one usb port and need that for the keyboard for the initial config so need to hard wire a usb adaptor internally or find a hub that works.

Configure the audio - it's wired to the PWM pads so just need to configure the software. Once I have wireless I'll SSH in and do it.

Last thing to do is add the screen surround and close it up

If anyone is in the market for a new soldering iron I recommend a Katsu 60w variable. I got it from ebay for £15 and it's a great piece of kit for the money. Comes with 5 ceramic tips and can also take the Wellar tips. My only dislike is the wand doesn't separate from the base. A quick release connector could have been nice but for the price it's a steal.

3 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (6th June 2017),  Ganty (6th June 2017),  Squizza (12th June 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I found the pcb for the screen in a drawer. It lets you control the brightness, contrast and colour so it would be nice to include it. As I'm not going to be using the cartridge for the sd card anymore and I now have a 3d printer I decided to make this. The PCB was a bit too wide so had to dremel some the edges. I couldn't lose anymore of the shell as it is only 3 layers thin (0.6mm) so had to chop away. It's so close to the tracks I'm not sure it even still works until I wire it up again. That's a job for another day.

Thanks to beerman

Mystical_2K (14th June 2017)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12