Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Gameboy Zero build

Small update, got brave today after receiving this:

Drilled some holes, well in all fact I got my uncle to do it as every hole I've ever drilled goes wonky.

I've tested the buttons on both. The yellow is fine and works ok but the buttons are a bit stiff. That was just a test fit so some filing will sort that out.
    The grey how ever I can't get the buttons to work properly. The X button works fine but the Y button rarely works. They looked a mile off when the board was inserted as they didn't line up properly with the pcb. I might have to get drastic on that one and really file it down although it will probably leave a small gap above the button. It'll need a mm or two shaving.

I realised I need to buy a few more buttons as I only have 6. I'll probably get some more gameboy red ones for the grey. I also need to buy a new soldering iron wand. I have a Weller EC2000 which is about 25 years old. It just doesn't get hot enough any more and I think it's the wires in the wand that are at fault rather than the soldering iron base station. Otherwise I'm doing it with a gas soldering iron which gets too hot and has no temp control either, the tip is also as fat as Rick Waller.

I was looking at the battery positioning again for mr grey. In my haste and a few too many glasses of wine last night I cut off the clip for the back then realised if I glue it down now how the fuck am I going to screw the shell together. So the plan is now leave the back off until the last minute, screw it all together and then glue on the back with hot glue. Using hot glue for the back will mean if something goes wrong at least I can still take it apart, superglue wouldn't give me that option.

2 Thanks given to beerman

Ganty (18th October 2016),  JonEp (16th October 2016)