Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is DF Slowly Dying?

Quote Originally Posted by raelmadrid View Post
    xb1 hack would get some activity going
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    So basically we need to go on a recruiting drive...

All the social media formats need to be posted with the forum...

I'll do it now, although I think amongst my friends list I am probably the biggest geek, which kind of rules the rest of them out...We can but try.
    To be honest I think 'new' hacks do bring new members but are not always positive and often drive old/valued/contributing members away, I won't go into names but off of the top of my head I could list about 10 members no longer here either banned or fucked off who probably lost the forum around 500 very good members because they spouted bile, had no technical knowledge which wouldn't have been a problem if they had not set about arguing with people who had pissing them off to the point the though why the fuck do I bother and either stopped posting or fucked off. My opinion is it's not about new members it's about getting the members back or posting again as there are already plenty of members.

Quote Originally Posted by mattress View Post
    I'm really not sure what's happened to DF to be honest but, in my opinion, it isn't an issue with the 'forum concept'. I'm a member of several other forums and have been for a number of years. Each one has probably increased member numbers and in turn, activity. Facebook and the rest of the social media sites haven't affected them at all. I'm sure someone will tell me different but I can only speak of my experience.

This site used to be absolutely rampant with activity and the sub-forums and content was as diverse as I've seen anywhere. It's difficult to believe that the record for most users online was close to 26 thousand! That number is huge...maybe the only way was down?
    Not sure which forums you are visiting but they are by far the exception rather than the rule, just have to look and read the forum platform forums to see the massive decline in forums over the last 10 years.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Ganty (4th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post
    Should we separate the site form the infrastructure? i.e. the forums-driven website is dying, is there another platfor, maybe FB, maybe not, that could inject life into the place?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    This actually isn't the worst idea in the world.
    I took my fishing forum from forum based to Facebook and it really saddened me to do so, Facebook features/functions is really like stepping back nearly 20 years to what forums evolved from, stringed message boards with no search feature so you got the same popular question asked every 10th post, the fishing forum thrived for 10 years with a mine of information, pictures, reports etc etc but as with here people decided they wanted to use and post on Facebook but just read the forums so I set up the Facebook group, not because I wanted to but because I knew if I didn't someone else would and changed the forum to an information website. A very sad day and everyone was devastated that the forum had gone and it was such a shame but as with here if they thought so much of the place all they had to do was post to keep it alive.

In my opinion going to another platform in the form of social media would be like selling your soul to the devil as I did with the fishing forum, yes it's more popular on there, yes it has far more members and posts but I fucking hate it.

7 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BertRoot (3rd October 2016),  cyprus (3rd October 2016),  CzarJunkie (3rd October 2016),  DavidF (3rd October 2016),  Nikki (8th October 2016),  tombott (3rd October 2016),  Zoots (4th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Totally agree with BB, FB is the last place for DF.

Having given it some thought, one way to grow membership, rather than trying the lowest common denominator, which is FB, would be to become more niche. I joined, along with thousands of others back in the early days, for a very specific reason. Maybe a return to a very narrow focus might help?

We could still maintain a catch all section such as the D&D, but the topic specific sections could be cut right back. and we vote on maybe keeping one main section and doubling down on that? We'd have to be very disciplined though and be prepared, as existing members, to dedicate time and effort to posting quality content.

And for me, the members you would attract with longer form content, that a forum platform is ideal for, are members who will stick around and show a real interest in the subject. We don't necessarily want new members who prefer reading 140 characters or who insist on telling everyone what they had for their fucking tea.

3 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Bald Bouncer (3rd October 2016),  I Black Belt (3rd October 2016),  Zoots (4th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Totally agree with BB, FB is the last place for DF.

Having given it some thought, one way to grow membership, rather than trying the lowest common denominator, which is FB, would be to become more niche. I joined, along with thousands of others back in the early days, for a very specific reason. Maybe a return to a very narrow focus might help?

We could still maintain a catch all section such as the D&D, but the topic specific sections could be cut right back. and we vote on maybe keeping one main section and doubling down on that? We'd have to be very disciplined though and be prepared, as existing members, to dedicate time and effort to posting quality content.

And for me, the members you would attract with longer form content, that a forum platform is ideal for, are members who will stick around and show a real interest in the subject. We don't necessarily want new members who prefer reading 140 characters or who insist on telling everyone what they had for their fucking tea.
    I'm all up for that. #makeDFgreatagain

Thanks to cyprus

Bald Bouncer (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe it's the old school in me but I come from days of old with 15 page itemized phone bills for calling BBSs around the world way before most people knew that you could have a PC at home and noone knew what Unix was. This is why I love forums. They are dynamic, not as public as "social media" and controllable - and not just by multi billion dollar organisations.

My only thoughts on DF are that maybe there are too many sub forums... As stated earlier in this thread some get no posts for MONTHS at a time. Even the consoles section has become like a nuclear war has hit and only the cockroaches are left to keep life going Also a lot of the forums here and posts have become quite non-techie in nature. Realistically most of the people here joined because of the geeks like myself that post in here.

In days gone by there would be many posts on soldering, installing chips in your console, satellite and cable was a hive of activity. People would post tutorials and asking questions. Now what we have is an internet full of blogs and sites that will post a lot of the stuff we used to see in our favourite forum.

This sort of thread pops up every so often but we're still here.

Maybe the site needs an overhaul Bring it kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Merge some sections (Just having a quick look through the list and we have FOUR seperate sections for Windows! Gamers lounge has seperate sections for each platform and a CoD one that hasn't seen a new post in almost a YEAR! There is a seperate forum for PC Problems... Why? We have a Windows section, an Apple section, a Hardware section - even a RasPi section.. Surely if you have a problem you would post in the relevant one of those? Website Coding & Graphics and Programming.. Merge 'em - website coding is as much programming now as butter goes on bread. And these are just two quick observations from scanning over a couple of minutes.

Fewer forums may help each forum get busier - maybe we have diluted things too much so people only visit the ones they want to and don't read others that may have topics of note.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Happening all over, recently had too put UKSCENARIO.com on hold ! Facebook is killing forums, though i can see a turnaround... "Niche/Special" is kinda key...

Thanks to c0axial

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd like to stress that what I am about to write is playing devil's advocate and I'm putting it out there as another view not necessarily my own.

I think what doesn't help to get old members posting are threads where people start trying to ridicule and threaten other members because they have said something they consider wrong.

An example of this was recently when a member was stating that some online seller wouldn't refund their PayPal payment and the other party stating that they had never accepted PayPal. Now this may well be true and that member may have been deliberately trying to cause trouble but on the other hand they may have been remembering it wrongly and genuinely believed what they were saying.

Either way, trying to ridicule them and threatening to post information about them on the Internet etc probably isn't a good way to go. It'll just put other people off from posting in fear of saying the wrong thing. It sends a message of if you post something we don't agree with you will regret it.

Edit : they're is probably more to that case then I know but this is how it probably looks to anyone on the outside.

3 Thanks given to Gunnzie

mattress (9th October 2016),  piggzy (3rd October 2016),  shaper (3rd October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For me it's not just DF but the internet as a whole. We have new generation that never use email let alone forums. They seem happy and content on posting everything via Facebook, Whatsapp and Snapchat.
    I get shit from family members all the time for not responding to messages they have sent me on FB and the like. I point out to them that they have my email address and phone numbers, and that FB is not an accepted form of communication for me.

I think some scaling back on here would help, but old members (myself included) also need to make more of an effort. Not posting shit for the sake of it, but actually posting stuff that will engage / interest other members.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks to tombott

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    I'd like to stress that what I am about to write is playing devil's advocate and I'm putting it out there as another view not necessarily my own.

I think what doesn't help to get old members posting are threads where people start trying to ridicule and threaten other members because they have said something they consider wrong.

An example of this was recently when a member was stating that some online seller wouldn't refund their PayPal payment and the other party stating that they had never accepted PayPal. Now this may well be true and that member may have been deliberately trying to cause trouble but on the other hand they may have been remembering it wrongly and genuinely believed what they were saying.

Either way, trying to ridicule them and threatening to post information about them on the Internet etc probably isn't a good way to go. It'll just put other people off from posting in fear of saying the wrong thing. It sends a message of if you post something we don't agree with you will regret it.

Edit : they're is probably more to that case then I know but this is how it probably looks to anyone on the outside.
    So we're saying Czar is still a cunt? I agree.

2 Thanks given to BigBrand

lombie (4th October 2016),  piggzy (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    So we're saying Czar is still a cunt? I agree.
    I had fuck all to do with the thread he's referring to. But I am still a cunt.

9 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Ashley (3rd October 2016),  Bald Bouncer (3rd October 2016),  BertRoot (3rd October 2016),  chesser (3rd October 2016),  crazyal (6th October 2016),  cyprus (3rd October 2016),  EvilBoB (3rd October 2016),  lombie (4th October 2016),  piggzy (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Biggest problem is the big forums hands are tied due to having there fingers burnt back in the day. Going back to the THOIC days and the xbox hacks DF and the Shack-THOIC were the two top forums to go to for info.

Everything on the big forums that is posted can be found more indepth on pretty much every other forum now.

Hate to say it, but DF is just a an old gentlemens club for about twenty of the regulars. DF offers nothing new and when newbies come along they just get the shit ripped out of them.

Thanks to kroner

piggzy (3rd October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

AVForums doesn't look like it's dying, just clicked new posts and there are 34 pages, maybe we could ditch some of the dead sections on here and add some of the popular ones from that forum.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i like the idea of merging sections, I think they have got a bit out of hand, as said above the consoles ones could be merged to be just consoles rather than each platform individually.
    Something like this:

GAMERS LOUNGE
    PC Gaming
    Call Of Duty HQ
    Microsoft Consoles
    Sony Consoles
    Nintendo Consoles
    Sony Handhelds
    Nintendo DS Handhelds
    Old Skool Gaming & Retro
    Puzzles & Stuff

Reduce these down to:
    Modern Gaming
    Old Skool Gaming & Retro
    Puzzles & stuff

MOBILE PHONES, TABLETS & OTHER GADGETS

Home Audio/Video, Electronic Toys & Gadgets(9 Viewing)
    Mobile Software & Apps
    Unlocking Questions & Solutions
    Android Phones & Tablets
    Apple Mobile Devices

Reduce down to:
    Mobile Phones
    Tablets
    Other gadgets

Computer Workbench

Raspberry Pi
    Windows 10
    Windows 8
    Windows 7
    Microsoft Windows XP & Vista
    A is for Apple
    PC Hardware
    PC Software
    PC Problems
    Programming
    System Security

Reduce down to:
    Windows
    Apple
    Other platforms (Raspberry Pi etc.)
    Programming
    Security
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

10 Thanks given to Mystical_2K

Ashley (3rd October 2016),  Bald Bouncer (3rd October 2016),  beerman (3rd October 2016),  chesser (3rd October 2016),  CzarJunkie (4th October 2016),  EvilBoB (3rd October 2016),  GTI (3rd October 2016),  Northernbloke (3rd October 2016),  tombott (3rd October 2016),  Zoots (4th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Please bring back the 'confessions corner' (anonomised)
    But yes I would agree with others about Facebook, when you come onto a forum your attention is focused on that, but on Facebook you will constantly be distracted with other groups, friends messaging etc.. And also you lose your anonymity which I feel is important, because some of the shit I've written on here could get me instantly dismissed
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

8 Thanks given to GTI

Ashley (3rd October 2016),  BertRoot (3rd October 2016),  crazyal (6th October 2016),  CzarJunkie (4th October 2016),  DejaVu (3rd October 2016),  Ganty (4th October 2016),  Over Carl (3rd October 2016),  piggzy (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post
    Should we separate the site form the infrastructure? i.e. the forums-driven website is dying, is there another platfor, maybe FB, maybe not, that could inject life into the place?
    I'm sure I saw someone posting comments on a news site that thought they were posting on a forum. Also I think that comments page let you connect with Facebook.

That had me wondering if it is possible to actually integrate them together or if that person was a random nutter that has no idea how the internet works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Please bring back the 'confessions corner' (anonomised)

That sounds great. Why did it go ? Must have been before my time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    That sounds great. Why did it go ? Must have been before my time.
    It became the Rhino Bar.. but most importantly the anon function was disabled... here is one of mine.. and I think this one too

edit: And this
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Mr 250 (3rd October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It became the Rhino Bar.. but most importantly the anon function was disabled... here is one of mine.. and I think this one too

haha great days, yes please bring this back
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    AVForums doesn't look like it's dying, just clicked new posts and there are 34 pages, maybe we could ditch some of the dead sections on here and add some of the popular ones from that forum.

Maybe thats an example of why DF isnt the place it used to be. When I came here back in the day it was an absolute mine of information that you just couldn't find elsewhere, various hacks that were not only discussed here, but originated on DF and we had the best in the scene to give out advice and info. I came here for those sections and was sidetracked into other sections on a less regular basis. These days, there are so many more forums and while we may cover a topic in a section, such as home audio, there's a sprawling forum like AVforums filled with experts that can give better advice.

Dedicated forums are doing very well, but the more casual forums, like we seem to have become are far more threatened by sites like facebook.

Thanks to {{909}}

MHP (3rd October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

PMSL . Yup .. bring it back.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast