Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Any interest in the Pixel?

I've been an iOS user for as long as it has been in existence, but figure it could be time for a change.

I'm gonna wait for some proper reviews first of course, but I do like the look of it.

Why do you peeps think?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any interest in the Pixel?

I've had a Nexus 5 and now my current 5X. Selling point was great specs for a great price.

This new Pixel looks nice and has great specs but price is above my spending limit unfortunately.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it's to pricey.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Google Pixel XL comes in two sizes – 32GB or 128GB. The 32GB version costs $769 (£719, AU$1,269) unlocked, and is available direct from Google's store.
    If you want the extra space of the 128GB model, you'll have to pay $869 (£819, AU$1,419). That's roughly in line with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or even the iPhone 7 Plus, but then the Pixel XL is a similarly large and high-end handset.
    nope.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When there are so many Android handsets to pick from why would anyone pay that much, Apple get away way with it because if you want iOS you have to buy Apple.

Cheapreefer on instagram

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My nexus 6 is still going strong i skipped the 6P as it did not seem much of an upgrade but this is was to much
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a iPhone 6 Plus and it does everything I want, has all the apps I need and holds it's value quite well although I don't anticipate selling it. Bought it from new from the Apple store so I must like them

The Pixel looks nice but it's "just another phone". Nothing earthshattering and I like iMessage/Facetime too much to give that up at this point. iOS 10 is nice and has some good plugs for iMessage etc. I'll stick and hold for now.

We have obviously reached that point in innovation where the "mobile phone" has become stagnant. Where do we go from here? Slightly faster CPU, more memory, few more megapixel camera.... yawn! Bring on the holographic interfaces, a voice assistant that is 100% useable and games on my XB1 that stream over 4G so I can play them remotely - oh also cheaper data costs lol
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, so taking the price out of it for a sec. Which one would you guys prefer? The iPhone 7 or the Pixel?

I appreciate there are plenty of alternatives, but humour me for a mo.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pixel I'm done with apple once you get used to android using an iPhone is a painful experience

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    VIP WOOP !

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As i'm on Android(after leaving iOS) it's the Pixel for me, but my next phone might be a Xiaomi Mi5s 64gb for around £320

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im in!

Not upgraded since the nexus five 3 or 4 years ago so I'm happy to take the hit on the price but i am going to wait and see what bugs its ships with first. I have Android 7 on my Nexus 9 and its destroyed my battery life so hoping this is fixed on shipping.

Was quite pleased to discover my 5 is still receiving the monthly android updates including one this morning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm considering it on my next upgrade in the next month or so

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do like the look of the Pixel, if I ever left iOS it would possibly be for one of these.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's wait a see for me, if they give discount I will jump for it. Had the Samsung Nexus S, and on the Nexus 4 now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

IMO the trouble with the Pixel is that it's directly positioning itself next to the iPhone 7 - but with a headphone jack. I hate iPhones and hated parting with the money to buy my wife a 6S last Christmas. But it is a nice looking device despite the dislike I have for iOS. The Pixel might be a premium device in Google's eyes but demanding premium money when compared to the Nexus 5 and the 4 before that? They were premium looking devices but you got a lot for your money. The Pixel isn't that special.

The Pixel looks good and has a decent spec. But as technology improves and becomes more popular, the price is supposed to go down, not up. Google seem to be taking the piss with this.

I do like the really like the catchy Pixel advert.

I'm still struggling with my S7 Edge. I didn't have to upgrade from my LG G3 but like a fool I was suckered in by the OLED screen and Edge bollocks. The reality of it is that whilst the screen is nice, it's not amazing and the edge is annoying. Samsung's Touchwiz is as buggy now as it was on the S3 I had a few years ago. With Pixel you'll get pure Android which is nothing short of delicious. But my LG G3 running Cyanogenmod did everything I wanted and I could customise it exactly how I wanted it. I've had the S7 somewhere near but it's not the same. The bugs and non-responsive fingerprint unlock that 'sometimes' works really annoys me. One of Samsung's flagship devices and it won't realibly unlock. It's going back. I'll start using my LG G3 again and update the Rom. Sell the S7 and buy the LG V20 when the UK version is out. Even running the native LG software on the G3 was a nicer experience than Touchwiz.

Everyone's different and I'm sure Google will ship a decent amount of handsets. But I have to admit that I hope it fails so that they get with the program and get back to selling decent hardware with a reasonable price tag. Just because Apple take the piss with their pricing model, doesn't mean to say that they can too. I really don't think it's worth the money and I've been Android since the G1.

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

MHP (12th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Nexus 6 and the 6P are outstanding phones now with android 7 they feel fresh as ever, I honestly can not see me getting rid of my Nexus 6 for a long time, the one down side is the camera is not great but I can live with this

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I plumped for the Pixel in the end and I must say, it's a splendid bit of kit.

A lot of my love for it probably comes from upgrading from an iPhone 5S, so anything new would seem an improvement. But I'm loving the synergy with my Google account, the openness of the platform and the unlimited cloud storage. Android certainly doesn't certainly doesn't seem like the car crash of an OS it was a few years back, when the Missus tried it. So there was no culture shock switching from iOS, which I was slightly nervous about originally.

Only a couple of minor cons so far, to do with the charging and the cable. The cable doesn't click into place when fully pushed in unlike with the iPhone. So you can wiggle it a little, which I don't like and it doesn't seem to charge as well when USB'd up to my work laptop. In fact, I need to close everything in order for it to charge at all. Whereas with my iPhone, it would happily charge to 100%, even when running power intensive apps like Pokemon Go. Might be doing something wrong and need some further investigation there.

All in all though, very happy with my decision indeed.

Thanks to CominAtcha

piggzy (24th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did see a couple of reviews last week which both claimed it to be an iPhone beater. My interest is growing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Did see a couple of reviews last week which both claimed it to be an iPhone beater. My interest is growing.

beating the iphone on spec ain't difficult, the difference in OS should be the reason anyone decides on a phone these days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This got posted on el reg : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11..._xl_by_google/

I just don't like Android. I've tried and tried but I find it an unwieldy OS that you have to fiddle with too much and can become unstable very easily but that said the Pixel XL does look nice - shame about the price tag.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil