Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Xbox One S versus PS4

Seeing as the new small Xbox One S has a bluray player that will play 4K BR discs, does this make it a better option than the PS4 now?

I assume that in the world of consoles the games that are released should look and play near as damn the same on both platforms?

My daughter watches those three idiots in America that have their game-plays on YouTube where they also have their voice-overs included, and she watches the walkthroughs, but I think they are on a PS4 - but as above I assume the walkthroughs would be the same on Xbox in the same title(s)?

Bilbo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox One S versus PS4

if you wanna play 4k BR, then at least sony have made that decision for you since the PS4 can't do it, but for gaming it depends on a few things.

As always the exclusives which only come out on Playstation, for me that would make the PS4 a winner but maybe not your daughter.

Secondly the online infrastructure. Both online services seem to be as good as each other these days, she should be looking at which one her friends are using.

Games which come out on both formats are almost always 99% identical, with maybe some exclusive feature coming to one console and not the other, but its certainly nothing to split hairs over.

Thanks to {{909}}

Bilbo_baggin (10th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Clive.

She would play as a Lone Wolf. The chances of her playing co-op is almost non existent and she won't be a in any games with squads and clans as a member of a team of 5 (say like with Rainbow Seige).

As long as the few games she has seen are on Xbox then the 4k has it as a winner. Even though it would only upscale games, as a 2160 movie player then that's a killer bonus in its armoury.

Paul.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's such a close call when it comes to the games, you can't make a decision on that alone.

I've just switched from PS4 to XBox One S - not because I had an issue with the PS4 but because Sony banned my account because my payment card had been stopped by my bank (fraudulent transactions). It took Sony 4 week to unban my account and was frankly rediculous so I decision to trade in my Sony stuff.

Anyway, back to the consoles.

I prefer the interface of the PS4 - many people feel otherwise but for me the xbox interface is all over the place.
    Media capabilities - Xbox One S wins it for me, obviously 4k bluray is a big ommision from Sony and something I will use.
    HDR - I'm getting some games in HDR with my xbox and they look truly fantastic. I didn't see this with the PS4 although it is HDR capable.
    Games - do you like gears or war, halo and forza or do you like uncharted and driveclub? I'm really enjoying forza at the moment.

Really happy with the Xbox One S.

Thanks to tonys

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tony I won't be using it really. My lass will, but tbh she has no ideas about a fave game type - just some she has seen on You Tube that she likes the look of...

Paul.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have both XBox One and PS4. I've no interest in getting the PS3 Pro but will Get the XBox One S and the Scorpio when it comes out. I'm getting a bit older now and gaming has had to be laid to the side somewhat. The XBox One still has all the games I love and I love the online service - much better than Sony's in my opinion. Everytime I turn on my PS4 I can't help but think they are just out to make as much money as possible. Microsoft are pushing the constant development of Windows 10 and the XBox which I like the idea of. 4k gaming I would love to see and I watch a lot of films/tv so the physical media aspect also helps.

I cannot see why Sony wouldn't allow the BDROM play 4k movies. I mean.. what's the point? It's there... let it do it!

Strange how the Sony camp came down on MS when MS announced the digital games and family features but now they have both and are trying to force people to digital only for movies. Hope everyone has big meaty internet pipes to stream them 4k flicks...
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

2 Thanks given to EvilBoB

Bald Bouncer (10th October 2016),  Bilbo_baggin (10th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Price os the Xbox One S seems very attractive atm. If I didnt already have an xbox I would deffo be getting one now.

Oh and as an xbox user I cant really fault it. Has everything my lot want.

Thanks to piggzy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Will get the Scorpion when it's released, but to be fair since the Xbox one came out I ain't seen anything ground breaking on the games front.
    Forza 3 Horizon looks really good.

It takes years for them to develop games on the consoles, so by the time they push the Xbox One to it's limit they release a new console!?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah but MS (and Sony I guess) are working on a unified platform so the games will play on xbox one but are better on xbox one s they will continue this trend going forward eradicating the Backward compatible issue.

You are still right tho as the scorpion is being brought forward in the consoles lifecycle when release it will have super glossy upscaled xbox one games but will take devs time again to make a polished scorpion game that can be downscaled to xbox one(s)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good post as i was literally wondering what console to get.
    I've always been an Xbox man and the Online side of things always seemed better to me.

Had a ps3 for 18 months and just felt Xbox had the edge for me esp as the bonus of a strong media machine.

My gaming needs are pretty limited to Fifa and Madden though

2 Thanks given to Bobby Bouché

akimba (12th October 2016),  Bilbo_baggin (12th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bouché View Post
    Good post as i was literally wondering what console to get.
    I've always been an Xbox man and the Online side of things always seemed better to me.

Had a ps3 for 18 months and just felt Xbox had the edge for me esp as the bonus of a strong media machine.

My gaming needs are pretty limited to Fifa and Madden though
    Get your shooting boots on too nothing wrong with a bit of FPS ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have both - PS4 is better / faster at installing games and seems more stable / the suspend works much better than on the xone s - it is very noisy.
    The xone s is nearly silent (mine is anyway seen reports of people getting noisy ones), looks great - it also has cross play / play anywhere free with the pc which is good I have GOW4 and Forza Horizon 3 which I bought on the xone I can play on my pc, if not on pc can just jump on the xone and pick up where I left off.

The xone is an absolute joke when it comes to downloading and installing games - took around 9 hours to get GOW4 last Friday - 5 hours to install Halo 5 which I had on disc....

xone s also has uhd drive which is pretty decent - main reason for grabbing one of these.
    Last edited by prezzy; 12th October 2016 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks to prezzy

Bilbo_baggin (12th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    The xone is an absolute joke when it comes to downloading and installing games - took around 9 hours to get GOW4 last Friday - 5 hours to install Halo 5 which I had on disc....
    That doesn't sound right at all. Are ports being throttled or something. Never anything take that long. Longest DL & Install was still under 2 hours and that includes GOW4 / Fallout 4 e.t.c, Not had any DVD's take over an hour either !!
    Very strange. Mine isn't the S, just a regular fat Elite but that shouldn't make a difference imho

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    That doesn't sound right at all. Are ports being throttled or something. Never anything take that long. Longest DL & Install was still under 2 hours and that includes GOW4 / Fallout 4 e.t.c, Not had any DVD's take over an hour either !!
    Very strange. Mine isn't the S, just a regular fat Elite but that shouldn't make a difference imho
    It seems fairly normal for it to take a long time to install stuff from having a read around / it isn't just me.... - I believe Halo 5 took a while cos it downloaded the full 90gig rather than just installing from disc, you can install from disc offline then install updates online.

And no there is no throttling etc.

GOW4 I set off at 9am Friday and it was ready to play around 5.30pm - I watched a uhd film and played some sp halo 5 but not much - does it not download in the background? Even if not it would have taken over 6 hours....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Get your shooting boots on too nothing wrong with a bit of FPS ;-)
    Sadly i started to feel sick playing FPS. Hence only sports these days. Old man syndrome no doubt

Xbox One S for me i think

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm about ready to upgrade from my 360. There are a few exclusives on the PS4 that made me think about going that way, but for me the killer feature of the two is UHD bluray.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah XBOX downloads in background I checked this before playing Halo and then looked at % download before and after and had increased.

I am guessing it MS side that is busy with everyone downloading GOW4 at same time, I downloaded it on the play 4 days early and took fook all time prob less than I didn't time it but think it was around 2 hours I on fibre but I am guessing so is Prezzy ;-)

I don't do discs anymore waste of time digi download all the way ;-)

I was glad to see that the first GOW4 patch was only 200mb as well as most are pretty much and reinstall of the entire game so are 4+gigs

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea fibre here - am guesssing if I had pre ordered it it would have pre loaded anyway so wouldn't normally be an issue. Must have been MS / Xbox slowing it down. Only took 2 hours to download and install on my pc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never had a problem with downloads on XB1. My PS4 seems slower to download in all honesty. It may be down to peering. I know for example that BT have had a deal in place for XBox servers so maybe on BT it is quicker.... Occasionally it's slow but it's never really bothered me. I'm on the 76mbit BT fibre package and it tears along downloading. Can't remember the last game I downloaded on the PS4 but I remember it taking most of an evening.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe some software issues ?? Same here on BT Fibre 80/20 and download & install is very quick. I am on the preview program so on Beta dashboards if that makes a diff. As above maybe MS were having issues when some of you had slow experiences ?!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast