Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Looking for Invoicing and Quotation Billing Application

Hi there i am looking for software that i can do Invoicing, Quotation, Billing, Employee Pay ETC can anybody recommend me something as easy as possible it is getting very confusing

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Looking for Invoicing and Quotation Billing Application

Quickbooks is what I use, I have moved to Quickbooks Online which is fantastic but does mean you pay a monthly subscription, there are desktop versions too where oyu pay a one-off licence fee for a lifetime licence. If you were interested then I could put my 2015 Pro licence in the BST but you would just have to wait the 24 hours as a non-VIP, it comes with a years Payroll subscription that I haven't activated. The online version also has payroll but I haven't used it yet so am not sure if it's included or a bolt-on, I suspect the latter. There is a free trial of Quickbooks Online if you wanted to test it out.

I found this software ot be simple, I have to install Sage for clients and that looks far more confusing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks evilsatan, can you tell me how it works with the taxman ie are they monitoring it as i have a client that is a bit dodgy i am trying to convince them to quickbooks but want to know what you think

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use Qucikbooks which as ES says it is simple to use. I use the desktop version rather than online, as the online version wouldn't allow me to create Sales Orders. Not sure if it has changed now, or if you need that feature, but all in all it is straightforward to use, far easier than Sage

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also use QuickBooks online, simple to use and HMRC approved, should make your returns easier.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I prefer Sage out of the two but each to their own!!

Always found the online versions of both to be a cut down version of the traditional desktop ones. For payroll moneysoft or brightpay.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The offline version is personal to you, you use it for your business, send your accountant a copy and he then files your return (unless you don't use an accountant then it is all in your control). I do not believe any QB data is sent to the taxman, just the figures that are output but I may be wrong. I assume the online version but the fact it is held on a remote server that you do not control I would be cautious if anything that may not be above board was going on.

Hopon - my accounts are very simple and QBO online is perfect for me but I can't comment on more complicated accounts. The Sage cloud offering seems to be very clunky though, I believe it is based on Salesforce so hasn't been built for purpose like QBO. Sage desktop looks too 'busy' for me but I am not an accountant, tried it at AS levels and wasn't for me My clients who rely on Sage desktop tried online and really couldn't get on with it which is a shame as they use Mac/PC and are spread across the UK and US, Sage Drive is unreliable for them and I hate running Parallels just for Sage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm looking for something like this too, what's the best option for quotations and invoicing? even free to use?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't used the sage account online version too much, the online payroll is awful though imo.

Sagedrive has had too many bad reports so advised all clients to stay away from it. Tbh we're all capable of running remote desktop even if it's on a little virtual machine so have access from anywhere, I don't see the reason for the obsession that everything must be "in the cloud". It's not in a cloud ffs, it's on someone elses' computer

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh a hosted solution was ideal for me, I can access using any web browser in seconds and it integrates with third party applications so I am now able to accept GoCardless direct debit payments and the entries are automatically added to my accounts with the fees entered automatically into their own section. I also have a third party invoice chaser which has improved my cash flow hugely, now I have very few clients exceed their invoice terms. This all saves me loads of time and removes the possibility of human error with data entry if I used these as separate systems. This is just an example but I'm really pleased with it and sure there is loads more potential. The subscription includes all updates and support which is pretty good when I have had to use it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check out Wave http://www.waveapps.com it currently doesn't support UK Payroll but a) it's free and b) it's easy to use
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

The integration factor for you ES may make it the best fit and you're adept enough to understand what and why. The cloud functionality to many other people though just isn't beneficial yet the masses seem to be getting steered that way paying an ongoing subscription for a reduced functionality version of the program. That is aimed more at Sage than QB.

Would like to test the gocardless integration to see how well that works as it does look promising and the fees seem good. How are you finding them in general?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh I have only moved one client over to GC so far but it seems good. When raising an invoice you have a new option to schedule direct debit and that will take the payment on the due date so customers don't complain about losing their payment terms. I have also saved it as the method for their monthly recurring invoice so am waiting to see if that works without any further intervention at the moment.