Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Champions Day At Ascot - Saturday 15/10/2016

1.25 Ascot – The QIPCO British Champions Long Distance Cup (Group 2)

The Irish had dominated the Long Distance Cup in its current guise having landed the first four renewals until John Gosden’s Flying Officer arrested the slide last year. However, the challenge from across the Irish Sea once again looks very strong and it could be heading back to the Emerald Isle.

2014 winner Forgotten Rules had only two starts prior to scooping this pot and has remained fairly lightly-raced since. The six-year-old made a belated seasonal debut in the Listed Loughbrown Stakes at the Curragh last month and looked the winner until collared only late on by progressive three-year-old Twilight Payment. With the way he travelled into the race, it can only be a lack of race-fitness that put paid to his chances and he should be spot on for this with that blow under his belt.

However, the ground isn’t likely to be as heavy as back in 2014 so preference is for his fellow Irish Raider ORDER OF ST GEORGE. The Galileo colt has wiped the floor in the staying division since hosing up in the Irish St Leger Trial last year, landing the Ascot Gold Cup on the way. His only blip has been a surprising defeat at the hands of Wicklow Brave as he attempted to land back-to-back wins in the Irish St Leger in September but he did get very warm beforehand that day and he bounced back with aplomb when completing a Coolmore 1-2-3 in the Arc last time out. That was the first time he had raced over a trip less than 1m5f since his juvenile days and the step back up to two miles should certainly work in his favour. With conditions perfect for him, he should prove very hard to beat.

Had it not been for the forecast slow going, Quest For More would have been afforded a huge chance and he could still prove to be decent each-way value at around 10/1. Roger Charlton’s charge was a runaway winner of the Lonsdale Cup at York’s Ebor meeting when dominating from the front and was only narrowly outpointed by Sheikhzayedroad adopting similar tactics in the Doncaster Cup next time out. George Baker changed tack completely in the Prix du Cadran last time, holding the six-year-old at the rear in an attempt to get the marathon 2m4f trip, and that worked a treat as he crept into the contest and just held the home favourite Vazirabad in the final furlong. His form in the top staying contests in the calendar is hard to rival but any give in the ground will surely put a big doubt on his chances.

His Doncaster vanquisher Sheikhzayedroad is another with a top profile in the staying division this campaign, duly landing a win in the Group 2 Doncaster Cup having finished third in the Goodwood Cup and Gold Cup on his previous two starts. He is entitled to run his race again and likely won’t be far way at the finish but could just find a couple too good once more and hung badly in the final straight at the Royal meeting back in June, which is a slight concern.

Another who has entered the picture in the staying division this season is Nearly Caught who has built on his good third in the Northumberland Plate with a pair of wins over in France (at Listed and Group 2 level). His latest third behind Quest For More at Chantilly was a respectable effort but he just didn’t quite seem to have the class to get properly involved against this sort of opposition.

Litigant, who caused a massive shock when storming clear to win the Ebor last year shouldn’t be ruled out but it does look as though he has a mammoth task on his hands. The lightly-raced eight-year-old has clearly had his problems having only raced ten times in a five-year career and was well beaten in this contest last year. He did bounce straight back from that with a phenomenal performance to sluice up in the November Handicap under top weight so has earned his place in the line-up. The fact that he managed to win a bruising encounter such as the Ebor on his first run back for well over a year bodes well ahead of his participation here.

Very much unexposed at this trip, Simple Verse rates a most interesting contender receiving a 3lb allowance from the rest of the field. Last year’s St Leger heroine followed up her Classic success with victory in the Fillies & Mares race on the card last year but looked to have gone off the boil this campaign until bouncing back in the Park Hill Stakes last month. The way she was doing all her best work at the finish suggests that the step up to two miles could well suit and she clearly has enough class to make her presence felt if taking the extra couple of furlongs in her stride.

MY Advice

ORDER OF ST GEORGE – 2pts win @ 5/6 (bet365, SkyBet, Betfred)

2.00 Ascot – Qipco British Champions Sprint Stakes (Group 1)

The weekend action begins with this sprint and looking at the field as a whole, it is probably the most competitive renewal of the race in recent years. There are no less than five Group 1 winners in the field and the current market leader is one such filly, Quiet Reflection. Karl Burke’s filly has been a fine servant for her connections, winning seven of her nine starts to date and her only defeat this term saw her finish third in the July Cup, on ground which would have been faster than ideal. The ground on Saturday should be perfect for her with the rain this week likely to have taken the sting out of it and if she reproduces her Haydock romp then she could prove very difficult to beat in receipt of weight all around. If I have a concern it is that she has had five very tough races already this season and although she has had a good break since Haydock, I wonder whether this might be one dance too many for her.

The Tin Man finished second behind Quiet Reflection at Haydock last time, making late headway from the back under a strong Tom Queally drive. In fairness to him, the ground would have probably been a bit slow for him that day as we have seen him use his turn of foot on a sound surface in the past. However, looking at his form I think that he is probably a Group 2/Group 3 performer and in a vintage renewal of this race, he is likely to find one or two too good on the day.

Trainer Henry Candy has had a quiet year by his high standards but he has still managed to pick up a number of Group 1 contests, including the Diamond Jubilee with Twilight Son back in June. Despite that being his second Group 1 success, that was probably a career best under Ryan Moore, who gets back aboard here. The ground was far too quick for him at Newmarket in the July Cup and he has had this race as his target since deciding to swerve a chance to retain his Sprint Cup crown at Haydock. He should have no complaints with the ground conditions on Saturday, although I would be concerned about his fitness returning from a break of 98 days.

The French raider Signs Of Blessing was just half a length behind Twilight Son in June and subsequently went on to land the Prix Maurice De Gheest at Deauville. He beat a good field that day and he should see out the 6f well here, having won over the extended six furlongs on this occasion. I think the gelding probably needs to improve again to win this race but I do think his chances over underestimated by his price of 16/1 here.

In terms of Ascot form, there aren’t many horses in the field with better records than Librisa Breeze who has two wins and one second to his name from three starts at the venue. That second saw him undone by the draw in the Royal Hunt Cup and he seems to really enjoy the way races develop here. He showed a blistering turn of foot to get up to win here a couple of weeks ago and he should have problem dropping back to six furlongs. He is improving rapidly without question, and with this being just his second start in Group company, you would have to think he will come up a little short.

One of the major enigmas in the race is Mecca’s Angel who as we know has won two renewals of the Nunthorpe at York but all of her best form has come over the minimum trip. She has only raced twice beyond five furlongs in the past, finishing fourth in the Two-Year-Old Trophy at Redcar as a juvenile and finishing fifth over 5.5f at Maisons-Lafitte the following year. She has improved a lot since those runs and with her being a couple of years older, she might have a better chance of seeing out the extra furlong. If you put a gun to my head, I would say that a stiff 6f might be difficult for her considering how she was run down in the Abbaye last time. There is no doubt that she has the ability to get her head in front at some stage but she may find the petrol gauge running a little low in the final half furlong here.

With all of that in mind, the one who gets the nod is SHALAA who overcame an absence of over a year to win the Group 3 Bengough Stakes over course and distance a couple of weeks ago. John Gosden’s colt won his last five starts as a two-year-old including the Prix Morny and the Middle Park Stakes but sustained a setback over the winter. He has been brought back slowly by his trainer and whilst he was fresh and keen last time, hopefully that run has taken some of that exuberance out of his system. He was only ridden with hands and heels to win last time and I expect him to improve a lot for that initial outing. On official ratings, only Mecca’s Angel is higher on 122 and with the forecast ground unlikely to inconvenience him, I fancy him to run a big race.

Of the remainder, the Ayr Gold Cup winner Brando is interesting on return to the scene of his Wokingham second back in June. He was just denied on that occasion and whilst he is likely to run his race, he is likely to come up short. Richard Fahey’s Don’t Touch is also interesting in a first time visor and finished just two lengths behind the selection at Ascot last time. He hasn’t really lived up to expectations so far for connections this season and perhaps the new headgear can eke out further improvement.

MY Advice

SHALAA – 1pt win @ 6/1 (Stan James)

2.35 Ascot – British Champions Fillies & Mares Stakes (Group 1)

John Gosden’s Journey looks to have a leading chance of going one better this year, having found only Simple Verse too good for her in this race twelve months ago. The four-year-old was a shade disappointing when dropped back to 1m2f on her seasonal reappearance but has bounced right back to form on her last two outings, back over her favoured trip of 1m4f. She set an even pace at Newmarket last time, before quickening up smartly in the closing stages to win going away at the line and a repeat of her performance last year, would see her go very close once again.

She is joined in the field by stablemate California who has course and distance form courtesy of her victory here in July. That was in handicap company but she has since gone on to follow up in Group 3 company as well as finishing a good third in the Park Hill Stakes at Doncaster. She has a tendency to be keen in her races so the drop back to 1m4f may show her in a better light but she looks to have plenty to find with the top fillies in the field.

One such filly could be Speedy Boarding who has shown plenty of improvement this year, winning three times including twice in Group 1 company. Her latest success saw her see off the game Pleascach in the Prix de l’Opera and as long as that race hasn’t taken too much of a toll on her, she looks primed for another big effort. The big question mark with her is the trip as she has shaped like a non-stayer on her two previous attempts at 1m4f including in this race last year.

One who shouldn’t have any stamina worries is Dermot Weld’s Zhukova who comes here in search of a fifth victory in succession. Since winning the Listed Oyster Stakes at Galway last September, all the filly has done is continue to progress and her latest success saw her land a Group 3 at Leopardstown, getting the better of US Army Ranger. This step into Group 1 company is a big one but she continues to give the impression that she is capable of better and on official figures, she doesn’t have much to find with the best. She had a bit of a look around in front last time which is presumably why the cheekpieces go on and with the yard having taken this race four years ago, I would be surprised to see her out of the frame.

Of the rest of the older fillies, one who I think could be overpriced is David Simcock’s Bateel who won for the first time in Listed company at Newmarket at the end of June. She seemed to relish the soft ground underfoot on that occasion and perhaps connections will be hoping for a bit more rain to aid her chances. She wasn’t beaten too far in Group 1 company over 1m2f last time and having run on well in the closing stages, she is likely to be suited by the return to 1m4f here. She has only had seven races to date but I think she is open to improvement and can go well at a big price, especially if the ground softens up.

However, the Classic generation have taken the last two renewals and they look to have the most likely winner this time around in the shape of SEVENTH HEAVEN. Aidan O’Brien’s filly has done nothing but improve all year with her only blip coming in the Oaks at Epsom back in June. Since then she has gone on to establish herself as one of the leading middle distance fillies, winning the Irish Oaks before taming her elder rivals (including Arc winner Found) in the Yorkshire Oaks last time. She has obviously been kept back for this assignment and as long as the ground doesn’t get too soft I find it very hard to look past her. She gets weight from her elder rivals here and with the O’Brien team firing in winners left, right and centre, she rates a strong selection.

She is joined in the race by two stablemates in Even Song and Pretty Perfect and I slightly prefer the latter judged on her fine effort in the Park Hill at Doncaster. She was only collared late on by Simple Verse and if she is allowed too much rope out in front, she could prove tough to pass.

Sir Michael Stoute’s Queen’s Trust has shaped as though she can hold her own in this sort of company, with her best effort coming behind Minding in the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood. It is hard to see her reversing the form with the favourite if they both run to form but it may be that Sir Michael’s filly may prefer a slower surface.

MY Advice

SEVENTH HEAVEN – 1.5pts win @ 2/1 (Paddy Power, William Hill)

3.10 Ascot – Qipco Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Group 1)

Having run exclusively over middle distances since her narrow defeat in the Irish 1000 Guineas, it is interesting that connections are dropping Minding back to a mile for this assignment. Her form since that defeat has seen her win three Group 1s including the Oaks at Epsom and she lost little in defeat behind Found and Almanzor in the Irish Champion Stakes on her most recent outing. There is no doubt that she is more than capable of competing at this level but I suspect that 1m2f is her optimum trip. I’m sure connections are confident of a big run but like Quiet Reflection earlier in the day, I wonder whether her exertions earlier in the year may just have taken the edge off her.

The only other horse to beat Minding this season is Jet Setting who got back to winning ways at Tipperary a couple of weeks ago. Following her game success in the Irish 1000 Guineas, she failed to back that up in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot and in the Matron Stakes at Leopardstown. Whilst she has the same official rating as Minding, I suspect that she needs the ground to be very soft to show her best form and so she is passed over on this occasion.

I suspect that this race will largely focus on the three-year-old colts and whilst The Gurkha may be missing, the cream of that crop is certainly in full force here.
    Galileo Gold looked to be the top of the class in the early part of the season, winning the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket as well as the St James Palace at Royal Ascot.

However, he has shown himself to be beatable when second in the Irish 2000 Guineas and the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood. On his day, he is a very good horse but his most disappointing run to date came in the Prix Jacques Le Marois at Deauville last time. He was far too keen and pulled his chances away in the early part of the race and although he won the Guineas on a straight course, I suspect that he would prefer to have a bend as it gives his jockey an opportunity to fill him up. He won’t have that here but Barchan looks likely to set the pace and Hugo Palmer’s colt’s chances are likely to be based on how he settles in the early part of the race.

One of his conquerors in the early part of the season was Awtaad who ran out an impressive winner of the Irish Guineas back in May. He too has failed to kick on, appearing to be given too much to do in the St James Palace before running no sort of race in the Sussex Stakes. It was good to see him get back to winning ways at Leopardstown last time and it looked as though the tongue-tie which is kept on here made a difference. The ground forecast for Saturday looks like likely to be his optimum which I think is good to soft so all looks to be pointing towards a big run, but I suspect he will need a career best to get his head in front here.

The one who I think holds all of the cards is RIBCHESTER who was third to Galileo Gold in the Guineas back in April but has since gone from strength to strength. He beat a good field when landing the Jersey Stakes over seven furlongs at Ascot in June and he looked a little unlucky when a close third in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood. He got his rewards in France last time as William Buick delivered a fine ride to win the Prix Jacques Le Marois and the form of that race has worked out well with the runner-up winning in Group 1 company since then. Richard Fahey’s colt seems to be at the peak of his powers now and having run well on everything from good to firm to soft, the ground at the weekend should hold no fears. He is peaking at the right time and he rates a strong selection to land a second Group 1 success.

If there is to be an older winner, then their main hope looks to be Lightning Spear who got back to winning ways in the Celebration Mile at the end of August. He showed a good turn of foot to pick up the smart Zonderland and win going away at the line, suggesting he is better than a Group 2 animal. He ran a fine race over course and distance in the Queen Anne when third to Tepin and whilst he too needs a career best, he can’t be dismissed too lightly.

MY Advice

RIBCHESTER – 1.5pts win @ 5/2 (Paddy Power, William Hill)

3.45 Ascot – The QIPCO Champion Stakes (British Champions Middle Distance) (Group 1)

A very interesting renewal but I think it could be one that may surprise a few people.

Historically, favourites have had a pretty poor record with only the great Frankel and New Approach justifying favouritism in the last ten years. That doesn’t bode well for Almanzor who looks likely to be a fairly warm order at the head of the market. Jean-Cloude Rouget’s charge became the first Group 1 winner by Wootton Bassett when landing the Prix du Jockey Club in taking fashion back in June, causing a bit of a shock as a relative outsider at 20/1. The big bay colt proved that no fluke when confirming placings with the runner-up Zarak at Deauville a couple of months later and produced a career-best last time out when staying on strongly to deny subsequent Arc heroine Found by three quarters of a length. He does get a handy weight-for-age allowance but has to overcome a 2lb swing with Aidan O’Brien’s filly and doesn’t look particularly good value at short odds.

Since easily winning the Group 3 Mooresbridge Stakes back In May, Found seemed to have acquired the ‘bridesmaid’ mantle having finished runner-up in five consecutive Group 1s (finishing behind the re-opposing trio Fascinating Rock, Almanzor & My Dream Boat in the process). There was no doubt that she was still a high-class filly but I was still a tad surprised when she cruised into an unassailable lead at Chantilly to win the Arc. The fact that she has finished second in more than half of her starts does worry me somewhat and I’m not convinced that getting her toe in particularly suits here (for all that she has the ability to overcome that on occasion). Factor in that she was comfortably beaten into second by Fascinating Rock in last year’s renewal and is on 4lb worse terms here, and she is another that looks a risky proposition at likely prohibitive odds.

Her stablemate US Army Ranger looks to be the Ballydoyle second string on jockey bookings and is a likely outsider at around 20/1. That does seem a bit of a strange scenario for a Derby runner-up (who was entitled to finish closer to Harzand than he did) but he has gone backwards from his Epsom effort and arrives here with something to prove. He has been a beaten favourite on his last three starts and although he may well have bumped into a classy filly in Zhukova in the Group 3 Enterprise Stakes last time, his previous run in the Royal Whip was a decidedly average performance. Given that was over today’s 1m2f trip, that strikes as a huge concern and it would take a massive effort for him to get involved here.

The final overseas raider in the 11-strong field is last year’s victor Fascinating Rock who arrives trying to replicate the feat achieved by Twice Over back in 2009 & 2010 in landing back-to-back Champion Stakes. He has had a light campaign with only three runs, with his Tattersalls Gold Cup win a distinct highlight. He finished a couple of spots ahead of US Army Ranger in the Royal Whip but even with the burden of 10st, he didn’t particularly perform up to his best. Those exertions may have taken their toll given he has been absent since (skipped the Irish Champion Stakes) so he should arrive here freshened up on the back of a decent break and again rates a top contender.

Third behind Fascinating Rock and Found last year was Jack Hobbs who was beaten one and three quarter lengths as the evens favourite. Last year’s Irish Derby winner was possibly unsuited by the give in the ground twelve months ago and a change to forcing tactics in order to make it a thorough stamina test left him with very little in the tank when the going got tough. He reportedly suffered a stress fracture when worryingly dismounted in the Jockey Club Stakes back in May but connections believe he is back to somewhere near his best now following a spell on the sidelines. It is difficult to be confident about him although he is likely to get a good pull into the race by pacemaker Maverick Wave.

Racing History completes the Godolphin trio and the lightly-raced four-year-old has been off the track since fourth in this last year. The Pivotal colt went from strength to strength last season and was a live outsider on the back of a fair win over Cannock Chase in the Group 3 Winter Hill Stakes at Windsor. Without seeing him yet in his four-year-old campaign, it remains to be seen whether he has had the requisite improvement to get more involved twelve months on, but it does seem to be rather a long shot.

Along with Godolphin’s pacemaker Maverick Wave, Gabrial looks to be a rank outsider while although The Grey Gatsby will likely have his loyal supporters, the five-year-old has a lot to find to recapture the form that saw him score at the highest level in the Irish Champion Stakes two years ago. Therefore, a tentative vote goes to Sir Michael Stoute’s three-year-old MIDTERM who could well be a stark improver having only had four career starts so far. The impeccably- bred colt (by Galileo out of Midday) was easy to back on debut at Newbury a year ago but overcame greenness early on to assert in the manner of a classy horse.

He showed he had the ability to mix it at the top when impressively winning the Group 3 Classic Trial at Sandown on his reappearance, with subsequent Arc Trial winner Algometer in second as the two pulled well clear, and immediately headed to the front of the Derby betting. Things didn’t quite go to plan though as he was well beaten in fifth in the Dante at York’s May Festival and was found to have a stress fracture on the back of that due to the jarring ground. He made a belated reappearance when a narrow second to Japanese Derby winner Makahiki in the Group 2 Prix Niel at Chantilly and should benefit from blowing the cobwebs away there a great deal entering this contest. It remains to be seen whether he will overhaul the trio at the head of the market but I think 20/1 represents great value for a potentially very classy animal and the easier underfoot conditions here should be right up his street.

The remaining runner, My Dream Boat, has had a fairytale season so far with the highlight being his unexpected victory over Found in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot. However, he may have just been the best horse in the field to cope with testing conditions on the day and has been well beaten since in both the Coral-Eclipse and Irish Champion Stakes. Things don’t get any easier for him here either.

MY Advice

MIDTERM – 0.5pt e/w @ 20/1 (General)

4.25 Ascot – The Balmoral Handicap Stakes.

With only 11lb separating the 20-strong field, this looks to be one of the most competitive handicaps that you are likely to find. In a one mile handicap on the Royal Hunt Cup course, you would normally want to be drawn on the far side but with the track cut in half to preserve the best ground, I don’t see a high draw being that much of an inconvenience so at least that is one less thing to worry about.

The obvious choice looks to be Morando who arrives here in search of the four-timer having scored at Windsor, Chester and Ayr on his last three starts. Still lightly-raced having only his fifth start, the three-year-old comfortably defied a 10lb rise in winning his latest start and has been hit with another 8lb rise on the back of his easy win. All evidence suggests that he should be able to take that in his stride and he looks like a Group horse in the making but this is a red-hot handicap, as it should be as the richest one mile event of its type in Europe, and I’d be willing to take him on as the likely favourite.

Firmament will be vying for favouritism with Roger Varian’s charge and the four-year-old has had a new lease of life since joining David O’Meara last winter. The well-bred son of Cape Cross stayed on strongly to land a valuable handicap over a mile at York’s Ebor Festival and has been far from disgraced in a pair of runners-up efforts at Ascot over a furlong shorter on his last two starts. The step up in trip looks ideal for him but he does have a career-high mark to contend with and it may be a case that the handicapper has just about caught up with him.

The same can’t be said of Afjaan at the foot of the weights who has been dropped 2lb for finishing just over a length behind Firmament last time out. The four-year-old was value for much more than the winning margin on his penultimate start at Kempton (encountered trouble in running throughout) and just crept in to the race here off just 5lb higher than when scoring on the all-weather last month. He is another stepping back up in trip which should aid his cause and he has quite rightly been the subject of market support in the days leading up to the race.

However, preference is for DONNCHA who has been plying his trade in the top handicaps all year and has had nothing but bad luck. He ran a cracker to finish second in the Spring Mile on his seasonal reappearance and was unfortunate when well fancied in the Hambleton Handicap at York’s Dante Festival, encountering trouble in running and eventually finishing fifth. You can put a line through his Royal Hunt Cup run as he was drawn on completely the wrong side and he has since finished in the money in a pair of valuable handicaps at Sandown and Goodwood. Robert Eddery’s charge was only a nose behind Afjaan at Ascot last time but the seven furlongs was too sharp for him there and the step up to a mile will certainly be in his favour. With Pat Smullen booked for the ride, he looks decent each-way value.

Andrew Balding has a trio of interesting big-priced runners, including a couple dropping back to handicap level for the first time in over two years. Here Comes When had gone nearly two years without a win until landing a conditions event at Bath last month but he has plied his trade in some top company in that period and may just need a slight drop in class at the age of 6.

The form of his Bath win probably isn’t good enough to take this but he is a solid performer on his day and that may have just given him a boost in the lead up to this. He would become of more interest were the heavens to open, as would stablemate Tullius. The eight-year-old has been a consistent campaigner for a number of years and looked up to somewhere near his best when staying on stoutly to land the Group 3 Diomed Stakes at Epsom back in June. He will have no easy task off joint-top weight but has the class to make his mark and could surprise a few. Rounding off the Balding challenge is recent York scorer Highland Colori who only gets in here thanks to the 6lb penalty for his win last Friday. Officially, that puts him 2lb wrong here and that could be just enough in a race of this calibre to put paid to his chances.

With much stronger claims, last year’s Cambridgeshire victor Third Time Lucky must be taken seriously. The gallant grey has had a quieter campaign so far having finished down the field in a pair of valuable handicaps before finishing a close-up fifth behind Firmament at York. He was well fancied to land back-to-back Cambridgeshires last time and was far from disgraced when fourth (second in his group on the wrong side). A 1lb rise may be a tad harsh on the face of it but drawn in stall 21, he could have the aid of the nearside rail and a perfect position in which to attack.

Bronze Angel will have his usual raft of followers and the winner from a couple of years ago could well produce a shock. He hasn’t shown much this year but has had a much easier campaign having been on the go constantly for the best part of two years and his latest effort in the Cambridgeshire will likely have been used to simply blow away the cobwebs. He is back to the same mark from which he was victorious in 2014 and just 1lb higher than when scoring at Doncaster just over a year ago so could be primed to go in again at a big price.

The most eye-catching jockey booking is Ryan Moore aboard John Gosden’s GM Hopkins. Moore was 2-2 aboard the five-year-old until he reared in the stalls in the Cambridgeshire latest and lost all chance at the start. He finished second in this last year off just 1lb higher but still seems to be handicapped to the hilt at present.

His stablemate Remarkable already has some fairly smart form in the book this season having finished a decent fifth behind subsequent Group 1 winner Ribchester in the Jersey Stakes at Royal Ascot and could be a flyer having been dropped 2lb for an unlucky run at Ascot last time. That was his first run back having been gelded and whilst the step up to a mile is an unknown for him, he has shaped as though it will suit and he remains one of the least exposed runners in the field. Mutarakez is another from the ‘unexposed’ category although he has a couple of modest efforts to dispel and may just be found out once again in a race of this nature.

In the week leading up to the race, Yuften has been the subject of a lot of support and now finds himself vying for favouritism. The five-year-old created a god impression on his first run for Roger Charlton when a staying on fourth in a seven furlong Newmarket handicap last month. He will likely strip fitter for that here but the bare form falls short of the standard required to get involved. However, if he does recapture anything like the form that he showed as a three-year-old, a mark of 101 could well underestimate him.

Dream Walker, carrying the same silks made famous by Top Notch Tonto, has had a meteoric rise this season. The seven-year-old looked to be on the downgrade until second in a Class 4 handicap at Haydock off a mark of 75 but reeled off a trio of wins after that, including a valuable handicap at the Curragh and was a slightly unlucky third in a Listed contest at Listowel last time and still seems to be thriving. He does have a career-high mark to contend with though and has a bit to find with the re-opposing Sea Wolf on their Irish Cambridgeshire form. The sole Irish raider kept on well to deny a Dermot Weld hotpot in Sikandarabad in the valuable Curragh handicap last time and has been hit with a 7lb rise for that win. Connections seemed rather surprised when he passed the post in front and I don’t quite think he’s up to this sort of level.

MY Advice

DONNCHA – 0.5pt e/w @ 16/1 (General

Thanks to ganjaman2

Bald Bouncer (14th October 2016)