Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Cyprus - Tomorrow

Flying to Larnaca tomorrow for just four nights.

Never been to Cyprus before and so far I've only booked the flights.

Can anyone recommend a place or hotel to stay and anything I should do whilst I'm there ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cyprus - Tomorrow

Give me a minute.

OK, Larnaca town centre is a short (but not cheap taxi ride). Takes about 10 minutes.

I would highly recommend you rent a car because public transport although often, doesn't really follow any timetable.

http://www.stevenscarrentals.com This is a local, respected car rental company that's owned by English/Cypriots but I don't know if they'll have anything at such short notice. I would call them rather than email. If they have a car they'll have ready for you at the airport.

Larnaca is a pretty small town with a great sea front called Finikoudes which is connected to the lively Mackenzie Beach (lots of bars and restaurants) via a nice promenade 2 minutes with a car or 30 minute walk.

Protaras has the nicest beaches on the island and is a 30 minute drive from Larnaca. Protaras is also 10 minutes drive from Ayia Napa which is dying down a bit now as its end of season but will still be busy.

Nicosia is the capitol of Cyprus and the old town is full of character with tons of cafes and restaurants. Ask for Ledras Street. It's a 40 minute drive from Larnaca.

Limassol is the most developed sea-side town, it's big and has a huge sea front. Lots of shopping, food, bars, etc. Molos is a great promenade and is linked to a newly developed marina stuffed with bars and restaurants.

Paphos has beautiful rocky beaches more for looking at than swimming. Tomb of the Kings is there as well as Coral Bay. It's a bit far though at 1.5 hours by Cypriot standards.

If you fancy taking in the mountains head up to Troodos. Again, about an hour and a half to two hours due to winding but safe mountain roads.

Anyway, Larnaca is a good place for your base of operations to explore. It's small and everything is near by.

Tons of hotels but try to be as central to town, Finikoudes or Mackenzie as you can. Dhekelia Road has tons of hotels but is on the other side of town and to be frank a bit dirty.

Ermou Square has quite a few trendy cafes and bars so check that out. Also it's the second of the two major shopping strips.

Tell me what your idea of a holiday is and I will try to guide you better.
    Last edited by cyprus; 18th October 2016 at 03:32 PM.

7 Thanks given to cyprus

Ashley (18th October 2016),  Hippie on hill (18th October 2016),  JonEp (18th October 2016),  Lou_smorals (18th October 2016),  Northernbloke (18th October 2016),  rmj2663 (19th October 2016),  tips (18th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow thanks for that Cyprus!

There's a lot to go on there ...

I will have a look when I get back home shortly.

I was just thinking of a few days R&R in a decent hotel and a wander around. Don't land till midnight so effectively 3 full days.

Can you recommend a decent hotel within 20k of the airport ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Since you've left it pretty much last minute hotels will be charging silly money. Especially the nicer ones.

Eleonora Hotel/Apts is in a great location right in the middle of downtown. Quick look on Booking.com and prices seem very good too.

Sunhall is right on the sea-front of Finikoudes but is a bit dated. Top location though.

Flamingo is by Mackenzie, another dated hotel but in prime spot for the bars and restaurants of the Mackenzie strip.

Downtown is less than 10km from the airport and once there everything is walking distance.

Thanks to cyprus

JonEp (18th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Again thank you , especially for the formatted links !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When i was in Cyprus a few years ago i went on a 3 day cruise to Egypt, it was cheap but the service was excellent, if i ever go again i would do that again.

Thanks to ilscuro

JonEp (19th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stayed at the Family Life Aeneas a few weeks ago. 5 star hotel with some nice facilities. Its right on Nissi beach and a 20-25 min walk into Ayna Napa. Fair few kids around as its family life but nice hotel.

Thanks to SiE

JonEp (19th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

All sorted thanks guys...

And thanks again to cyprus for taking the time to provide the detailed advice and take the time to embed links to the various locations and booking.com all preconfigured with the dates!