Close

Thread: Corsa keyfob

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Corsa keyfob

The missus has decided to learn how to drive so I bought her a cheap Corsa (2001 I think) - anyway, problem I have is that the remote keyfob is buggered. Thought it was just the case but when I took it apart half the components have fallen off and the PCB looks quite rotten.

Is there a cheap option to sort this for her? She's starting to get a bit annoyed by having to use the key all the time :-\
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Corsa keyfob

Buy an add on remote locking unit from ebay for about £20 will take you an hour to fit

Thanks to MIKE M

Over Carl (21st October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Firstly check if it's just contacts/switches that have fallen off. These might be easy/cheap/simple to repair.

Otherwise...... look around in the glovebox / paperwork to see if you have the security code card.

If you have this, it should be pretty simple. However the card costs about £25, without the card, you will probably need to spend expensive locksmith rates to get the security codes read out from your car.

Enquire about getting cost of a new key from Vauxhall, and also enquire at local key cutting places.

New key will need immobilser and central locking programmed by a garage, and you have the old key to keep as a spare.

You can probably find just the replacement insides to the key on eBay. However some cars will happily re-use a used key, some won't. Sometimes you get different versions of the same model that have different alarm/immobiliser setups, so it can be a royal pita trying to find the cheapest compatible thing.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 21st October 2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: dupe

Thanks
    Karma Level

Firstly check if it's just contacts/switches that have fallen off. These might be easy/cheap/simple to repair.

Otherwise...... look around in the glovebox / paperwork to see if you have the security code card.

If you have this, it should be pretty simple. However the card costs about £25, without the card, you will probably need to spend expensive locksmith rates to get the security codes read out from your car.

Enquire about getting cost of a new key from Vauxhall, and also enquire at local key cutting places.

New key will need immobilser and central locking programmed by a garage, and you have the old key to keep as a spare.

You can probably find just the replacement insides to the key on eBay. However some cars will happily re-use a used key, some won't. Sometimes you get different versions of the same model that have different alarm/immobiliser setups, so it can be a royal pita trying to find the cheapest compatible thing.

The aftermarket £20 device doesn't sound that bad. But what if locks go wrong in future? Who ever has to put it right will probably charge you at least double what they would have charged you otherwise as their wiring diagrams are now incorrect and the amount of testing has just multiplied due to extra complexity and lack of documentation. What if you want another key made up in the future? What if you lose a fob while around someone you don't trust- may not be easy to disable a fob, who is guaranteeing the security of the £20 device that you are now entrusting with the security of your car and it's contents?

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you can get another fob try this.
    Procedure
    1. First open a window (just in case) use existing key (if you have one) place in ignition and turn to on, do not start car.
    2. Use the new key to lock the car, the key not the remote. Now press one of the buttons once on the new key transponder, the lights should flash, wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button, the doors should unlock and the key should be programmed.
    3. If you are programming a second key repeat the above but press the remote button twice, three times for a third key.
    Alternative Method
    Procedure
    1. Switch on ignition; system will then remain in programming mode for 30 seconds.
    2. Briefly press any button on the remote control unit while the unit is in the ignition.
    3. The central locking system locks & unlocks to show that the remote control has been programmed.

2 Thanks given to consoles

EvilBoB (27th October 2016),  Over Carl (26th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pretty much as above i had to add a second fob to our old zafira a few years back and it easy as piss.
    All the online vauxhall forums were saying i had to take it to a dealer, but after a few google searches found a simple process.
    Although im sure i had to press the brake pedal while turning the ignition to acc before i started the programming part.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

Over Carl (26th October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gonna see if I can fix this weekend. Looks like the switches have come off so I'll dust the soldering iron off Cheers for the replies.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil