Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech GLi GL-AR300M mini router - simple, portable VPN (Amazon Fire Stick etc)

Recently I started to play with my Fire TV Stick again, I decided to scrap the builds and set up from scratch. One problem (which also existed with the builds) is how many add-ons are blocked or fail to load, sometimes because they have been blocked by the UK (e.g. http://www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk/).

As most know, the answer is to use a VPN but I don't want all my LAN traffic passing over a VPN and the fire stick will install the PIA android app but won't actually work. In the case of the stick in my room I installed CCProxy on one of my servers, connected PrivateInternetAccess to that server and used my server as the proxy in the Kodi settings on the Fire Stick.

Problem is I have a stick I travel with, this led me to look for a portable router which could be configured with a VPN. My initial thought was to find one that can be flashed with DD-WRT/OpenWRT, I remembered TP-Link had some mini routers but it seems they do not have sufficient memory for VPN but then I stumbled upon the AR300M which has OpenVPN built in already. It arrived yesterday and it is tiny! Very fast to configure, in fact several settings I intended to set up were pre-configured such as uncommon subnet (x.x.8.1) and DHCP for WAN IP which allows me to connect to most routers with an ethernet cable and then send LAN or WLAN traffic over the VPN. It also has a repeater mode if you want a wireless link to the router providing internet.

At first I couldn't get it to work, it would connect to my network fine but any device connected to the mini router would connect, get a valid IP but could not access the WAN. Also after uploading my PIA OpenVPN files I could select the OVPN file, enter my login details but it wouldn't connect. A reset resolved both problems and now it auto-connects the VPN when powered up. The device is powered by microUSB so can probably be powered from a TV or router USB port, I always carry an iPad charger in my bag so no need for another power supply.

Check it out here:
    https://www.gl-inet.com/ar300m/

Would be interested to hear what others use, with the router and a configured fire stick you can have a truly portable media system.

6 Thanks given to evilsatan

Ashley (28th October 2016),  JonEp (29th October 2016),  MajorFU (26th December 2016),  nedtheman (27th December 2016),  piggzy (29th October 2016),  William20 (5th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: GLi GL-AR300M mini router - simple, portable VPN (Amazon Fire Stick etc)

So if for example you were in a hotel with passworded wifi, this router would connect to that okay. Then using open VPN files it would connect to the www but anything checking your location would be spoofed based on the open VPN file?

Buying one of these seems cheaper than buying an annual VPN sub.

About OpenVPN any slowdowns or data restrictions? Been ages since I looked at that.

DJ OD

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: GLi GL-AR300M mini router - simple, portable VPN (Amazon Fire Stick etc)

As far as I am aware you can set this up with any standard WiFi/DCHP ethernet connection, by standard I mean if you go somewhere and are given a WEP/WPA password rather than services where it is open WiFi but then you authenticate through a web browser. If you know the IP settings then the ethernet connection doesn't have to be DHCP as you can set this info yourself. It also accepts a 3G/4G USB WWAN dongle or you can tether to your phone.

I use PIA on an annual subscription for my OpenVPN but I believe there are some free ones out there, not sure if you would want to use them though or what their performance would be like. I don't believe PIA restrict data and the speeds seem to be good to me but I can't offer you hard numbers right now as I am out.

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

DJ OD (29th October 2016),  piggzy (29th October 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Recently I started to play with my Fire TV Stick again, I decided to scrap the builds and set up from scratch. One problem (which also existed with the builds) is how many add-ons are blocked or fail to load, sometimes because they have been blocked by the UK (e.g. http://www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk/).

As most know, the answer is to use a VPN but I don't want all my LAN traffic passing over a VPN and the fire stick will install the PIA android app but won't actually work. In the case of the stick in my room I installed CCProxy on one of my servers, connected PrivateInternetAccess to that server and used my server as the proxy in the Kodi settings on the Fire Stick.

Problem is I have a stick I travel with, this led me to look for a portable router which could be configured with a VPN. My initial thought was to find one that can be flashed with DD-WRT/OpenWRT, I remembered TP-Link had some mini routers but it seems they do not have sufficient memory for VPN but then I stumbled upon the AR300M which has OpenVPN built in already. It arrived yesterday and it is tiny! Very fast to configure, in fact several settings I intended to set up were pre-configured such as uncommon subnet (x.x.8.1) and DHCP for WAN IP which allows me to connect to most routers with an ethernet cable and then send LAN or WLAN traffic over the VPN. It also has a repeater mode if you want a wireless link to the router providing internet.

At first I couldn't get it to work, it would connect to my network fine but any device connected to the mini router would connect, get a valid IP but could not access the WAN. Also after uploading my PIA OpenVPN files I could select the OVPN file, enter my login details but it wouldn't connect. A reset resolved both problems and now it auto-connects the VPN when powered up. The device is powered by microUSB so can probably be powered from a TV or router USB port, I always carry an iPad charger in my bag so no need for another power supply.

Check it out here:
    https://www.gl-inet.com/ar300m/

Would be interested to hear what others use, with the router and a configured fire stick you can have a truly portable media system.
    Did you order yours from the states?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Did you order yours from the states?
    I bought one from UK stock on Amazon, they also ship from their HK warehouse on there.

Thanks to evilsatan

Ashley (20th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Genius!

Thanks
    Karma Level

For some reason I cant get openvpn to work, it seems to take the pia files and login but as soon as I connect it just stops all traffic getting through?

Tried a full reset but made no difference, any ideas?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MajorFU View Post
    For some reason I cant get openvpn to work, it seems to take the pia files and login but as soon as I connect it just stops all traffic getting through?

Tried a full reset but made no difference, any ideas?
    Are you on the latest FW? So the VPN connects successfully but once connected you can't even ping Google?

Thanks
    Karma Level

would u believe it worked in firefox and not in chrome or ie

wtf is that about?

But it is now working, I have a network for the VPN and another for clear

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got one of these, cracking bit of kit and a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be.

Evilsatan, have you tried this with 'authenticate through a web browser' hotel wifi? I'm guessing that's what the clone mac function is for.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    Just got one of these, cracking bit of kit and a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be.

Evilsatan, have you tried this with 'authenticate through a web browser' hotel wifi? I'm guessing that's what the clone mac function is for.
    I haven't had the chance to try yet mate but looking forward to giving it a whirl as my plan was for this to make my fire stick work almost anywhere with a tiny footprint in my bag.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This turned out to be a godsend, presently the only wifi in my house since wpa2 got hacked, the fix is out already and a doddle to install manually

My other wifi router got taken down by local dickheads 3 times in the last few days and this little badboy was the perfect answer

Thanks to MajorFU

MHP (21st October 2017)