Close

Thread: Google drive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Google drive.

I have been asked to move a small company to the cloud so the can have a central point for there documents.

As well as supply 2 laptops / tables for the 4 main users.

Before I rush in and start setting up.
    I wanted to check few things with you guys.

Do I need to sign up to Google business?
    Can I use there current email address on all Google stuff

As In passed I tried to use play/drive with a non Gmail address it caused problems.

Or should I just created 4 new goggles accounts and link there emails 😕

Anyone done anything simular any advice ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Google drive.

My advice is don't touch Google Drive, some of my reasons are here:
    http://digital-forums.com/showthread...Drive-for-Work

How small is this company and do they require permissions to be set up? If they need individual user accounts with permissions then it isn't the cheapest or without it's faults but Dropbox for Business is leaps and bounds better than Google Drive IMO and they are working hard on new features. This week I get moved to improved team folders which allows granular permissions as well as some other benefits and Dropbox Infinite was supposed to be out this Winter which allows for files to be accessed in the cloud so they don't take up space on your local drive (unless you tell them to), although that may be pushed back as I haven't heard any updates recently.

Jungledisk uses Rackspace storage, they already have a solution where the shares are mapped from the cloud to a drive letter, again this software isn't perfect but it is pretty good and much cheaper then Dropbox but I found it to be flakey on OSX when a new Apple OS update is released.

Are these users all in the same office or working remote from one another? You may consider a NAS with either cloud backups set up or some form of cloud sync, if their connection was decent enough maybe even a VPN to access the NAS remotely and have it set to backup to the cloud.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (31st October 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks the response evilstan.

It's a small building company

The two laptops will be boss/secretary

2 android tablets will be for 2 on site bosses to take some photos/sign off on jobs/orders

Nothing to complex just a central point to save list of files standard files for each job.

It seems ok once structure is setup via Google drive on laptop with permission on root folders.

Seems to sync & be seen as expected as long as you add root folder too each users Google drive.

Just thought it would be easier with android tables and google apps.

He dose have office 365 you think that or drop box?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm using Office 365 Business on two desktops and Onedrive and a Synology NAS for cloud storage, shares and backups. Can't fault it, easy to set up compared to our old SBS 2003 box and the mobile apps work on Android.

Thanks to MHP

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My experience with Onedrive for Business is limited to trying to use it as a backup facility, due to compliance issues with head office for a particular set of clients this was the only approved cloud solution. It isn't designed to be used how I was using it, I had the software installed on a client PC and had that client create and update files in that folder so they synced to the MS servers, these files weren't all Office files. It was a bit hit and miss but if it is used as Microsoft intend I think it will work well.

My concerns with Google Drive are how it manages data, their support were not giving consistent info and if you accumulate data and then want to change the way you do things or move service it can be a nightmare. If it was set up correctly in the first place then it may be better but my experience has put me off for life.

Do they need different permissions? Will all their devices be online whilst using it or could they be offline? Will they all be MS Office files and images or could there be any less common types?

Thanks to evilsatan