Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default re: Macbook Pro Specs Info (for a non Mac user) with a view to Logic X Pro Software

Hi,

My Son is studying A Level Music and is also an avid musician (he plays and sings with a gigging band). Every Xmas gone by I'll admit we have totally spoiled our kids, and they have got more or less whatever they wanted, within reason. However, I've been lifelong self employed and never struggled like I have these past few years, thus we are now really having to reign things in.

Recently, my Son keeps dropping "non subtle" Xmas present hints that he could really do with a Macbook Pro to use "Logic X Pro" for his music studies and for his next step University (hopefully). I know nothing about Macs having only used them briefly nie on 30 years since (I also know nothing about Music production to boot, which doesn't help).

My questions:
    1) I know he would like a new or near new version of the hardware. Alas, this isn't going to happen unless things turn around swiftly. So, one option is an older Macbook Pro. Is there a minimum spec that you would recommend to run this software, as I know absolutely zero about the specs, speeds, OS`, etc?

2) Is he "swinging the lead" that he will really benefit from this? I have discussed him getting a PC based equivalent software and he is adamant he has tried almost everything and it doesn't compare!

THANKS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default re: Macbook Pro Specs Info (for a non Mac user) with a view to Logic X Pro Software

I've got a late 2009 mac book the lower end one, it works with Cubase and logic.

Thanks to Ashley

tips (1st November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Macbook Pro Specs Info (for a non Mac user) with a view to Logic X Pro Software

Latest version of Logic needs MacOSX 10.9.5 so make sure it will run that so this limits things a bit.

Basically any Intel model should run 10.9.5 (or newer). I'd recommend a 2014 model. I had one of the retina ones and they are very nice and fast. Only problem was that because it was an SSD it wasn't the largest drive and I did have to battle for drive space from time to time but you can get 64gb usb sticks now that are tiny for extra storage if needed.

Here's an OSX compatibility guide for you to have a look at : https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Ma..._Compatibility

EDIT: And here's a link to the minimum specs Logic : http://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/specs/
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

tips (1st November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Macbook Pro Specs Info (for a non Mac user) with a view to Logic X Pro Software

THANKS for the help above. I've got a much better idea now of what I am looking at (spoke to his Music teacher tonight and he agreed it would help him, so he`s not swinging the lead).

CHEERS

Thanks
    Karma Level

If price is a big factor couldn't you go for a laptop and boot into OSX via hackintosh or similar?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    If price is a big factor couldn't you go for a laptop and boot into OSX via hackintosh or similar?
    Hi, we already have a couple of laptops (PC), I have no idea what hackintosh is m8 (but I'm about to Google it now, ta).