Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Separate web hosting for email hosting for a domain

Hi All

I have a webhosting package with quite a few domains but one of the domains I have on there I use to send group emails as it is for a league. Its like 1-2 emails per week to about 50 email addresses

The hosting company doesn't like this and it got some spam sensor and blocks the sending, there solution is to pay extra per month for a dedicated email relay. For the amount of usage it not really viable to purchase the relay

I am thinking of leaving the website with them but find a more lenient email host.

So on this note is it possible to split like this seems MX and A records are involved?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Separate web hosting for email hosting for a domain

Use zoho.com you can still use your own domain e.g. akimba@yourdomain.co.uk by setting up a couple of DNS records. Also while I'm at it use cloudflare (free again for basic account) easier to do DNS through cloudflare imho. So you dont have to change hosts unless you want to using Zoho

Zoho is free too for basic package which serves any needs I have come across

Been with both on free accounts for years and never felt the need to upgrade. They do groups/relays etc

ZOHO

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it's possible, when traffic is sent to a domain it looks up the DNS and depending the type of traffic it is depends which record it looks for. Web traffic tends to go to A records which can point to your web hosting and emails look for MX records which can direct mail to a different location.

You would need to find your new email hosts, set up mailboxes with them and then replace the existing MX records in your domain DNS panel with the records that host uses. You may also wish to add an SPF record and autodiscover if your new email host allows to help with people spoofing your domain and setting up client devices easier.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you tried Mailchimp? Sounds like that's what you need and is free if you are sending low volumes of mails.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

my domains are with Fasthost so was going to setup email with them and leave web stuff with hosting company.

but I having a go at Piggz option but am stuck with the cloudflare bit as it is asking to change the ns records to theirs which I am jubious to do?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    my domains are with Fasthost so was going to setup email with them and leave web stuff with hosting company.

but I having a go at Piggz option but am stuck with the cloudflare bit as it is asking to change the ns records to theirs which I am jubious to do?
    Its no issue at all mate.

you change ns records to (from memory) jessica.cloudflare.com e.t.c then in your cloudflare you point this to the IP of your hosting. It protects your IP a little from ddos also I find the CP nice and easy for setting up external email provider.
    You can do all this through fasthosts but I find it a ball ache and usually ends up with asking support.

If you are going the zoho route I could PM you a screen grab of one of my domains setup in cloudflare as a template if you like. Very useful tutorials on setup in Zoho though .

Also you can change your NS records back at any time and the change usually occurs in minutes incase you fuck something up.

Edit: To add make sure your cloudflare setup is done first before NS change :-)
    Last edited by piggzy; 18th November 2016 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Its no issue at all mate.

you change ns records to (from memory) jessica.cloudflare.com e.t.c then in your cloudflare you point this to the IP of your hosting. It protects your IP a little from ddos also I find the CP nice and easy for setting up external email provider.
    You can do all this through fasthosts but I find it a ball ache and usually ends up with asking support.

If you are going the zoho route I could PM you a screen grab of one of my domains setup in cloudflare as a template if you like. Very useful tutorials on setup in Zoho though .

Also you can change your NS records back at any time and the change usually occurs in minutes incase you fuck something up.
    Yeah be handy if you could pm me dude ;-)
    As CNAME's, NS's blah blah I am lost :-0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check your PM :-)

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

New web host and MailChimp which will prevent future issues
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Yeah be handy if you could pm me dude ;-)
    As CNAME's, NS's blah blah I am lost :-0
    Basically you login to your existing DNS control panel, set up all of the records identically on the cloudflare panel and then change the NS on your domain. Without cloning your DNS first you will have some downtime of your services.

As others have suggested though, mailchimp may be your best bet. I have heard good things about them and have an account but have yet to try it out.

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (18th November 2016)