Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    is there a recommended VPN for torrenting? With all this chat about these news Im getting worried, I use torrents heavily every other month im home to download tv episodes, movies and games for the months im at sea...
    why not use kodi to download the movies/TV shows onto a USB stick its sooo easy

Spoiler:

Thanks to Mickey

CallmeGoose (20th November 2016)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

being at sea, i cant view videos but i will watch it the moment im home. Is the process automated? Ie, can I set it up on a PC and leave it be?

To be honest Ive become so used to torrents it would be hard to move away. I used NZBs for a long time, but having gone back to it recently, I found it too unreliable to snatch any of the shows I want - missed files, etc.

I use torrentday for almost everything, and although I only download every other month, I feel someway of protecting myself is now ideal. Especially as I am with BT and someone else mentioned, BT are going to start sending letters out....

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been looking, and Private Internet Access is coming out on top....? anyone have any experience of them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use PIA and never had an issue with it. Had a friend on virgin who had speed issues when using pia though. On Black Friday/cyber Monday they drop the price massively. I got mine last year and planning to renew it this year when their sale starts.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

give me a heads up if you notice there sale starting :-) ill keep my eye on their site though...

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use PIA but it is worth noting they are based on the US. They say they keep no logs and avoiding connecting to their US servers would be advisable.

Thanks to evilsatan

CallmeGoose (21st November 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was using pia a while ago but my 40mb connection was dropping down to 28mb on the UK servers. Even less with servers further away.

Sent from my Elephone P8000 using Tapatalk

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How do you think this would effect a standard broadband line? I dont have fibre where I live , but it should be coming to the area in the next few months.....

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Warno View Post
    I was using pia a while ago but my 40mb connection was dropping down to 28mb on the UK servers. Even less with servers further away.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    How do you think this would effect a standard broadband line? I dont have fibre where I live , but it should be coming to the area in the next few months.....
    Using the UK servers I am maxing my 20-25Mbps connection, I have fibre but my line is impacted which is why my DL speeds aren't near the 50Mbps even without a VPN How I understand it is there is minimal overhead so if someone has a 100 meg line but are getting 30Mbps speeds over the VPN then someone with a 40 meg line will still get 30Mbps speeds.

Thanks to evilsatan

CallmeGoose (21st November 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea that's the way I see it. You should still get the full 16mb(or whatever you are getting normally) on your copper connection.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As standard i get 52mb on my fibre connection with sky internet, when I use the PIA and use a London location I still get 52mb, I don't notice any speed drop.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use airvpn with an old linksys router flashed with openwrt - so i can have my normal internet or change gateway to use VPN.

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So what is you guys opinion of a decent router to get for openwrt ? I see they do have lots of hardware listed but I would prefer to hear members real life scenarios if possible. I am currently on EE fiber using their BrightBox 2 - Get about 30 ish meg so what router would be best for optimal wireless connection as well as openwrt capable ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Evilsatan posted a link to this one above : https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-N1...&keywords=VDSL

No experience, but seems nice spec and price. I am mulling it over. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Might be worth checking out proton mail for certain emails/site registrations
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure how good this is but might help.
    http://rooftopbazaar.com/routerfirmware/

My refreshed Linksys is solid, it does however max out at 20MBPS on my 37MBPS infinity.

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can stick open wrt on a couple of the BT Hubs. Might open one up and flash it and see how it behaves.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

You should all be out there rioting. It starts off with a simple shit bill like this and before you know it you will have the Great Firewall of England

4 Thanks given to Sanj[UK]

Ashley (23rd November 2016),  cyprus (23rd November 2016),  Ganty (23rd November 2016),  Rick Sanchez (23rd November 2016)  

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I complained to all of the MPs in my area, none were fussed, two of them are ex-forces
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I tutted a lot, rolled my eyes and stamped my foot a bit.

No offence mate. No one will give a flying fuck.... Money had been paid, decision is made.

Theyve been doing it anyway, now they've just been given a nod and green light.

DJ OD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast