Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

For comparison

http://www.sabaitechnology.com/blog/...arison-charts/

-

I've not signed because individuals who have will probably be targeted first!
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

Looks like the Netgear R7000 and Asus AC68U are the two to choose from then, according to that chart the Netgear has more processing power but the Asus has a bit better wireless coverage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surely the best way to make this bill fall on it's arse would be to generate lots and lots of fake network traffic from as many source IPs as possible. Thereby flooding any logging systems with false data...

...now where was that article on using IoT cameras to transmit data
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

piggzy (29th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Looks like the Netgear R7000 and Asus AC68U are the two to choose from then, according to that chart the Netgear has more processing power but the Asus has a bit better wireless coverage.
    Yes read the same. Also in reviews I have read the Asus trumps the Netgear for a number of reason so will probably go for this one. Thanks for all input everyone. Appreciated.

Also for those like me that want a modem at the same time. If you replace the RT- at the beginning of Asus model numbers with DSL- you get the exact same router with added cable/fibre modem for an extra £10.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Yes read the same. Also in reviews I have read the Asus trumps the Netgear for a number of reason so will probably go for this one. Thanks for all input everyone. Appreciated.
    Can you remember what they where? As I will be ordering tonight
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Asus may trump the Netgear as AsusMerlin FW has been developed for the Asus specifically (although the stock FW is based on Tomato already). I have not tried it myself but the reviews are good and it has a good objective. I am not sure if there is a similar project for the Netgear, there probably is as it is a popular router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Can you remember what they where? As I will be ordering tonight
    Didnt bookmark, but found the comparisons with a simple google. A lot seemed to have signal problems with the Netgear and I read a few comments saying how it was worse than the ISP provided router. That is the main thing that put me off. Also a user said the UI was a bit grim and some settings just not working/taking effect... but if you plan on flashing not an issue I suppose.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Poor effort lol. Decisions decisions

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Poor effort lol. Decisions decisions
    Personally swaying to the Asus. in the past I have felt let down by Netgear products. Great on paper but have found things not to be the same in reality.

Granted I am talking 7 + years ago so it could be very different now. Plus in my mind the power of the Asus is enough for me and when it isnt it would be time for a new router anyway imho.

As long as I get 2-3 years out of a router I am happy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enough but a fast processor will speed up the VPN as it will be able to process the VPN/network traffic

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought this router for full retail price 2 years ago for around $300 cad. The range is fucking stupid, dont use it as a repeater as it will completely wipe over the original access point lol.

Stating that, I have never managed to get the torrent or nzb apps to work on it.

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

piggzy (1st December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    The range is fucking stupid
    As in good ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another option is just run a software router either on an old piece of hardware or a VM if you have a server - then you can set only some devices to go via the VPN by changing the default route of the device to go either to the router (no VPN required) or software router (VPN encrypted)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    As in good ????
    yes

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

piggzy (2nd December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    yes
    Good ... ordering in the morning :-)

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Think I should be ok... private internet access - been using it for a couple of years and it seems pretty good
    Mainly have it on my server for getting tv programs etc via torrent but will be putting on my main pc now as well
    If I want to see midgets getting fisted and shit upon then I want to keep it to myself - not that I do want to or would enjoy anything like that, it is the principle

Looks like your DNS is not leaking...

• Your IP: 46.166.138.163
    • DNS IP: 46.166.138.163
    • Hostname: 46.166.138.163

And a quick switch to Sweden

• Your IP: 91.108.183.186
    • DNS IP: 91.108.183.186
    • Hostname: 91.108.183.186

I pay about $40 a year

first test is from https://www.doileak.com/
    Last edited by prezzy; 2nd December 2016 at 10:58 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had a thought, I don't think there is any custom firmware for routers with integrated modems so check out before you buy the DSL-AC68U, I forgot about this when someone mentioned the router previously. OpenVPN may work with that router on stock FW but check first!

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (4th December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had a thought, I don't think there is any custom firmware for routers with integrated modems so check out before you buy the DSL-AC68U, I forgot about this when someone mentioned the router previously. OpenVPN may work with that router on stock FW but check first!
    Thanks, already in the post though :-)

So long as it supports a VPN on the stock firmware then I will be happy tbh. Could always send it back I suppose if not.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast