Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snoopers' Charter 2.0: IP Bill passed by Parliament and will become law within we

Well my DSL-AC68U router arrived first thing. Just nipped back home and set it up.

Very impressed. As EvilSatan said the DSL versions DO NOT support dd-wrt or openwrt but the RT versions do. So get the RT-AC68U if that is what you want / need.
    However for me the ASUSwrt stock firmware is so good I don't see a need for it. It has 10x times the features of the HH5 it replaced and importantly for me has full VPN client support .

Signal range is legendary. Before no signal in 2 of the bedrooms now signal everywhere in the house, in fact the Mrs sent me down the road to the butchers I still had signal WTF lol I could browse whilst purchasing sausages.

Highly recommend it, very solid and seems well made.

Now to choose a VPN :-) Which seems like there is too much choice.

Thanks to piggzy

Ashley (5th December 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

airvpn - been using them for years and been great.

oE.

Thanks to oE

piggzy (5th December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

While I am configuring router I setup a free trial VPN account from CactusVPN. Any reason why torrents would not be working???

Turn off VPN torrents work again ???? Cant be normal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried some torrents on an IPVanish connection and they were terrible - the speed shot up when the VPN was disconnected but I don't like using torrents so I stopped them. It's slow on NZB files too. Think I bought a stinker!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Possible correction to my above post regarding no custom firmware on Routers including the Modem.

It now appears in the case of at least my router the DSL-AC68U that the firmware's are now kept isolated from each other so you get a DSL firmware and a separate Router firmware and can update them independently allowing you to just update the router firmware with the firmware for a RT-AC68U .

Hope that makes sense. Not tried myself, but I can confirm in my router firmware upgrade it does show them individually. For me it works out of the box so not worried.

e.g. In theory you can use dd-wrt and openwrt due to this !!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Possible correction to my above post regarding no custom firmware on Routers including the Modem.

It now appears in the case of at least my router the DSL-AC68U that the firmware's are now kept isolated from each other so you get a DSL firmware and a separate Router firmware and can update them independently allowing you to just update the router firmware with the firmware for a RT-AC68U .

Hope that makes sense. Not tried myself, but I can confirm in my router firmware upgrade it does show them individually. For me it works out of the box so not worried.

e.g. In theory you can use dd-wrt and openwrt due to this !!
    Damn, just bought my mate the non DSL version because I wanted to install merlin on there for them, oh well...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post

Signal range is legendary. Before no signal in 2 of the bedrooms now signal everywhere in the house, in fact the Mrs sent me down the road to the butchers I still had signal WTF lol I could browse whilst purchasing sausages.

If you want to make sure the strength even stronger, you can -

A) Make sure its kept upstairs as wi-fi travels downwards
    B) Adjust the power gains (careful you dont kill your neighbours wifi lol)
    C) You can buy replacement antennas which are bigger (you'd need to adjust the power gains once installed)

;-)

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

piggzy (7th December 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    B) Adjust the power gains (careful you dont kill your neighbours wifi lol)
    I remember adjusting power level on a router I had years ago. Definitely improved strength, however for example I could be across the road and still see full wifi signal strength on my laptop or phone but the connection would be shit or unusable.

I believe this is because as much as my router could transmit at higher power to my devices, my devices were still stuck with their limitations when trying to transmit to the router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Zero effect on home users, anyone trading, selling, installing etc yes but anyone who watches streaming at home is not committing a crime, really boils my piss how fucking dishonest Trading standards and F.A.C.T. are on this as they are supposed to be protecting the public from misleading information on products not peddling lies on what they would like the law to apply to when it does not and has already been ruled on in the European courts.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ganty (4th May 2017),  piggzy (4th May 2017),  Rick Sanchez (4th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The usual bunch of comments after the article!

Some very valid points though - property is worth more than life, it seems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Zero effect on home users, anyone trading, selling, installing etc yes but anyone who watches streaming at home is not committing a crime, really boils my piss how fucking dishonest Trading standards and F.A.C.T. are on this as they are supposed to be protecting the public from misleading information on products not peddling lies on what they would like the law to apply to when it does not and has already been ruled on in the European courts.
    Any chance you can find that link? R.E. EU ruling

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Any chance you can find that link? R.E. EU ruling
    The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has confirmed that watching pirated video streams online does not break any copyright laws.

The ruling comes via a legal battle between rights holders and European media service company Meltwater. Copyright holders including the Associated Press charged Meltwater with copyright infringement when the company extracted headlines from various news sources and sent these via email to users.

In an interesting twist, the media groups suing Meltwater, led by the U.K. based Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA), also argued that users receiving these emails should be liable for licensing fees, an argument which led to this week's ruling.

Early court rulings initially favored the NLA, but the Supreme Court of The United Kingdom eventually ruled against the NLA, confirming that viewing copyrighted content online is not copyright infringement. The court cited existing EU copyright law which that temporary copies are given a specific exemption from copyright law. The court did refer the matter for further comment to the CJEU.

This week, the CJEU confirmed that the existing EU copyright exemptions for temporary copies applies to viewing and streaming online. Viewing or streaming, the court says, is different to making a copy and would be exempt from copyright laws, but the copies "must be temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological process."

While this ruling provides clarification on this issue, the ruling may anger rights holders who have in recent times devoted more resources in tackling the piracy problem caused by the increasing use of streaming services. It's worth noting that this ruling does not exempt operators of these streaming services from legal responsibility, only the viewers and users of these services.

Source

https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-...2_Judgment.pdf

4 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Mystical_2K (9th May 2017),  piggzy (4th May 2017),  Rick Sanchez (4th May 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (4th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Forgot to say 'Thank you!'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345