I'll preface this with the statement that I'm not big into the charts but they do kind of show the musical trends of the nation as a whole. When Eminem first appeared in the charts opened the UK public to mainstream rap for example.

However times change and last week Ed Sheeran secured NINE of the top ten singles entries. That's just insane! Now I know the charts count streams as well (150 streams = 1 purchase) but surely they should adapt again after this. I've seen a few suggestions around ie. Only one purchase per user is counted so streaming 300 times by one user will only count as 1 purchase but in all honesty who is going to listen to the same track 150 times in a week?!

The problem is that technology and the way we are listening to music is changing faster than the industry which is still stuck in the stone ages. Maybe the charts should be based on how much an artist has earned from a track - therefore purchases would be more prioritized than say Spotify which only give tiny amounts of money to the artists per stream.

What do you guys think? Are they charts neeeded anymore? Surely trending in apps such as Spotify are a better system.