Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Manchester's C-Charge..It's a NO !!!

THE PEOPLE have spoken – and Greater Manchester will NOT be getting a congestion charge.

Voters have overwhelmingly rejected the scheme by a majority of almost four to one in a region-wide referendum.

The 'No' vote won a clear majority in all ten local authority areas and delivered a crushing blow to the plan to invest billions of pounds in the region's public transport infrastructure.

The decision sparked jubilation among 'no' campaigners, who had claimed the peak-hour, weekday only charge would have cost commuters up to £1,200 a year.

Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council and one of the architects of the congestion charge proposals, said: “We have a very clear result and I’ve already said what the people of Manchester say is what I will be taking forward.

"This was the only opportunity to get £3million of investment in public transport over the next five years and 10,000 jobs to go with it. So far nobody has been able to put forward a credible alternative to get those levels of investment.”

Asked if he was personally damaged by the result Sir Richard said “The time for me to hang up my hat is when we stop having these sorts of proposal to put to the people of Manchester.”

Lord Peter Smith, chairman of Association of Greater Manchester Authorities said the results were “very clear”. He added:

“This is not just a vote no for congestion charging, it’s a vote no to improvements on the trams railways and buses and there will now be no improvements."

Official turnout figures showed 53.2 per cent of voters returned their ballot forms. The lowest turnout was in Wigan where 45.3 per cent of voters returned their ballot papers. The highest participation in the referendum was in Trafford, where the figure was 63.6 per cent.

A total of just over a million votes were cast and of those 812,815 - a massive 78.8 per cent - put their cross in the 'No' box. Only 218,860 people, 21.2 per cent of those who voted, said they were in favour of the scheme.

Greater Manchester's 10 councils have been bidding for more than £2.75bn from the government's Transport Innovation Fund, including £318m to set up a charging scheme. Some £1.2bn would have been in the form of a loan, paid back over 30 years out of profits from the charge.

People in seven out of the 10 borough of Greater Manchester would have had to have said said 'yes' for the package to go ahead.

The money – which would have paid for massive investment in trams, trains and buses – will now be taken off the table. Some £1.5bn of grant will be returned to a central government 'pot' for cities that are prepared to bring in congestion-charge schemes. The loan will be cancelled.

Geoff Hoon, the transport secretary, has warned the region there is no 'plan B' for improving its public transport.

The results of the all-postal vote were revealed in a highly-charged declaration at Manchester Central this afternoon.

The decision is expected to be rubber-stamped at a meeting of council leaders next Friday.

Source: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ccharge_its_no

Get it there.... I'm extremely happy about this.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Manchester's C-Charge..It's a NO !!!

Brilliant news, means that other cities in UK will drop plans as well, what a result!

I think it's the first time I've ever cheered ever in my life for Manchester

Thanks
    Karma Level

My two votes tipped it in favor

Thanks
    Karma Level

Banging and sorted arkid thing is you know in a couple of years they will just force the issue anyway and bring it in no matter what!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
    Banging and sorted arkid thing is you know in a couple of years they will just force the issue anyway and bring it in no matter what!
    Innit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I voted no so I'm pleased. The public transport investment plan was woefully insufficient to justify the road levy. As always the plan was South Manchester biased and on my routes would have made little difference at all and hence the option of public transport for a commute (were I to make one) would have been a no. If it was the inner part of Manchester you could almost understand it but inside the M60 is far too big an area and up to £5 a day is just way too much, especially with an insufficient alternative.

Well voted peeps

Thanks
    Karma Level

good news, but im with fireblade, few years time theyll wanna make more money and bring it anyway. the 20 odd percent who voted yes must have some right large pockets

Thanks
    Karma Level

If we had london wages, london transport facilities and it covered an 8 mile radius instead of 80 i would have still voted no. I pay enough taxes as it is without paying more to go to work. Plus they were gonna put the metrolink down the side of my house.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chesser View Post
    Brilliant news, means that other cities in UK will drop plans as well, what a result!

I think it's the first time I've ever cheered ever in my life for Manchester
    Can't see that happening I don't think it'll be put to a vote next time.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wot a waste of time!

Do you want to...

a) Pay an extra £5 per trip

b) Continue to do the same journey for free

Thanks
    Karma Level

have to pay me to drive in that fucking shithole

THE BARON

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I voted no, i pay enough taxes already, income tax, council tax, Value Added Tax, road tax, tax on petrol, cigs, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah diddums you poor bunch of hard up northerners. You may not get London wages but conversely you dont fucking pay London house prices or pay the costs of the transport down here either. This was a stupid vote, who would really vote to pay for this, especially as no-one (yes, even southerners) have any spare money with this economic recession?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always wondered about a congestion 'charge'...it's aTAX you cnuts!

And what the fuck has it got to do with this inefficient, inept, tax me til I bleed bunch of labour fuckwits whether i choose to sit in a queue or not? Fuck off with your shabby attempts to tax every last penny out of me and get your own house in order.

Cunts.

W.