Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.
    The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.
    But charity Safe Speed says the devices are dangerous because they encourage drivers to enter a "zombie mode".

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.
    The speed-limiting devices will then use satellite positioning to check a vehicle's location and when its speed exceeds the limit, power will be reduced and the brakes applied if necessary.
    The Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.
    Overtaking worries

John Lewis, from the Motorists' Forum, told BBC Breakfast he believed the devices would help drivers obey limits and therefore keep their licences.
    "But we believe that the system should be a voluntary system, that the drivers decide if they have fitted to their car or not, and that they decide if they want to over-ride the speed limit - that should be their choice," he added.
    But Claire Armstrong, from the road safety charity Safe Speed, told BBC Five Live that truck drivers using similar speed-limiting devices had been shown to "go into fatigue mode or zombie mode" and stopped paying attention to the road.
    "That makes it highly dangerous in those scenarios. So you've taken the responsibility away from the driver and that is not [good] for road safety," she said.
    Derek Charters, from the Motor Industry Research Association, also believes limiting speed automatically could be dangerous.
    "The last thing you need is one car to be overtaking and then pull back in, in front of the cars in front, because that braking event will then cause everybody to start to slow down, which will then compress the traffic, which then causes an incident."

Link HERE

When will it stop?

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars

wow another great thought !!!

do we pay these people to think !!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    When will it stop?
    Magnetic 'prisoner' boots, a la Face/Off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they should make one and fit it to all cars..

but the one i am talking about is a device that makes a car go 60mph in a 60mph zone and does not let some selfish driver do 30mph in it on a busy morning holding 4 mile of traffic up.

the worst thing is they say they are driving carefully but they are making frustrated drivers make some hairy overtaking manouvers to get past them.

they have max speed limit signs up on all roads, about time they introduced a sign with min/max speeds on it to help keep traffic flowing..

for fecks sake you can fail your driving test for going to fast and for going to slow .

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Something else to hack
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does this mean we can do away with speed cams?
    I can't see that happening any time soon.
    Leechr will grab your tv-ep nzb's for you :)

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the US, they have areas with a minimum speed limit. I certainly saw some signs when I was out there traveling from NYC to Texas by road.

Not sure what the repercussions are if you drive below the minimum speed limit without reason but I agree they should at least do that here. I hate those cunts who join a motorway and drive down the slip road at 40mph - It's THERE TO BUILD UP SPEED YOU FUCKING NIMRODS.. at least 60mph so you're not joining a fast flowing motorway at half the speed of most of the drivers on it.

As for this speed limiter thing, yeah if people want to buy a BMW and put a limiter on, go for it but it will cause the zombie affect as the numpties from Safe Speed (Who for once are actually not being numpties) have advised.

I want ALL 240 of my horses free and just because I have 240 of them, it doesn't mean I have to drive at 153mph, just that if I want to (on a track), I can and when on public roads, I can enjoy them up to the speed limits.

Agree to a stupid idea like introducing GPS / location based limiters, then you open up the floodgates for oppressive abuse. It'll eventually become mandatory to have them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a much better idea - how about we just limit lives of those too incompetent to have one. Tough shit if you're a chav with the mental age of 18 - you will never be allowed to drive. Would solve many problems if we applied that thinking.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 30th December 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I have a much better idea - how about we just limit lives of those to incompetent to have one. Tough shit if you're a chav with the mental age of 18 - you will never be allowed to drive. Would solve many problems if we applied that thinking.
    I agree.

Make taking a driving test much more harder and repeat it much more often. Make it more expensive and take longer.

Vet the whole application process more thoroughly, and make people who are in the country for more than a month take a full UK test.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do around 30k per year and must admit the thing that winds be up is middle and fast lane lane hoggers. Why should I sit behind some T***er doing 55-70 MPH in these lanes gripping the steering wheel with both hands whilst their nose is only a few inches from the dashboard. I have even been behind a few cars when a articulated lorry who went into the fast lane to over take two lane hoggers on the M25 some weeks ago...... Having this device fitted will cause no end of problems for car users and people will take their eye off the ball.......

As Blaggards states something else to hack :-D

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It will never happen as local councils aren't going to want to lose out on all the revenue taken from speeding fines.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if the government want to pay £xxx to fit one to EVERY SINGLE car in the UK they can be my guest, cos I sure as hell aint paying for it, and I know for a fact they wont be able to afford it, so it's a mute point.

If they decide to fit them to all new cars then thats not a problem either. All German cars are restricted to 155 MPH, but the restrictor can easily be removed and my car (Jap import) was restricted to 180 KMH (112.5 MPH) due to Japanese law, but as soon as it came into the UK and got converted from KMH to MPH the restrictor was removed.

Waste of peoples time, effort and money if you ask me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Welcome to the beginning of a communist state!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
    Welcome to the beginning of a communist state!

China has been doing fine up until just recently.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    China has been doing fine up until just recently.
    Well the last i heard these speed limiters are just the start. They say in the next 10 years we are going to go the same way as North Korea...There'll be no bloody cars on the road!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why the fuck aren't car licenses like bike ones, where you must start on small cc and build up...

Whoever looked over the fact that a rich 18 year old can jump into a fucking supercar should be fucking castrated.

Speeding & dangerous driving are not intrinsically linked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    Why the fuck aren't car licenses like bike ones, where you must start on small cc and build up...

Whoever looked over the fact that a rich 18 year old can jump into a fucking supercar should be fucking castrated.

Speeding & dangerous driving are not intrinsically linked.
    Very good point which brings me to this one

Why give pensioners Bus passes if they don't use them ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there's some relevance here, but I'd like to see the limiters limited to non-motorway / A road driving. Personally I'd like to see a relatively open (or at least sensible) system put in place for motorways, 70mph these days is just ridiculous IF your car is sesibly able to do that speed (certified at MOT?). Maybe 100mph on motorways, but conversely I would like to see 30mph stamped down heavily on, as this is where kids etc are killed. Of course it would never work, and people will always moan, like they do for speed cameras, which if you're not speeding, won't get you. How is that so bad?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I do around 30k per year and must admit the thing that winds be up is middle and fast lane lane hoggers. Why should I sit behind some T***er doing 55-70 MPH in these lanes gripping the steering wheel with both hands whilst their nose is only a few inches from the dashboard. I have even been behind a few cars when a articulated lorry who went into the fast lane to over take two lane hoggers on the M25 some weeks ago......
    As Blaggards states something else to hack :-D

B

I know how you feel - was going to post this in the whine cellar but probably as on topic here as there. I've just driven down from Manchester to London tonight and undertook (yes it's naughty) a good 15-20 cars because there's some twat in the outside lane, some twat who's not being overtaken by said twat in the outside lane in the middle lane and the inside lane is clear. Now I wasn't driving slowly but well within the conditions and within the cars capabilities.

They need to start fining people who aren't overtaking in what are meant to be overtaking lanes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    I think there's some relevance here, but I'd like to see the limiters limited to non-motorway / A road driving. Personally I'd like to see a relatively open (or at least sensible) system put in place for motorways, 70mph these days is just ridiculous IF your car is sesibly able to do that speed (certified at MOT?). Maybe 100mph on motorways, but conversely I would like to see 30mph stamped down heavily on, as this is where kids etc are killed. Of course it would never work, and people will always moan, like they do for speed cameras, which if you're not speeding, won't get you. How is that so bad?
    I think first they need do away with all the country lanes being labelled up as National speed limit ie 60 MPH because its bollox. Most country lanes it isn't possible to safely drive more than 30-40 MPH but you can legally drive at 60.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast