Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New TV purchase, recommendations please

be careful if your main source is SD as the cheaper 4k tvs don't upscale very good at all,also the speed at which the smart side can be crap too, I have a LG 4K oled C7 , a friend has a £500 Samsung, my friends tv looks shocking and I mean shocking, all dark scenes are like looking at snow/analog static, words are almost unreadable, the youtube app was terrible for some reason, straight lines were made up of visable slanted lines, just checked the same SD tv program on my tv and its a vast vast improvement

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a Sony XE90 and it is phenomenal. Had it a couple of months and the Android OS has its issues and the TV needs a hard reboot once a week but the picture quality is outrageously good. Would highly recommend.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Good choice. imho the cheapo electronics behind the otherwise fantastic screens from LG changed about 6 years ago. Since then I have found the OS, capabilities and visuals better than the likes of Panasonic.

Just my opinion.

Also why are Panasonic wasting there time with that shit QLED tech. What a load of crap trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of standard albeit cheaper LCD panels.. Just get on with OLED already.
    In stores I couldnt even tell the difference between Standard LED LCD panel and QLED, then again did they set it up properly?
    I read that Samsung are running a clever marketing campaign to sell their QLED panels (same tech as LCD) that can't touch OLED but the next panel tech is being developed by Samsung where they should blow OLED out of the water (but it's a way off yet).

Thanks to evilsatan

piggzy (24th March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I read that Samsung are running a clever marketing campaign to sell their QLED panels (same tech as LCD) that can't touch OLED but the next panel tech is being developed by Samsung where they should blow OLED out of the water (but it's a way off yet).
    Yeah, I couldn't see a difference and it makes sense what you say.... delay tactics while they work on something better because QLED really is truly shit.
    Hope they pull it off as a bit of competition for OLED will only be healthy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I managed to pickup the LG 49SJ800V up for around £550 from AO. http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49SJ800V

Absolutely brilliant TV. I haven't found one fault with it yet, use it for the Xbox one X. Upscales like a champ, 4k is brilliant on it and one of the best gaming modes you can get for a TV at the moment it and if you switch it into Vivid picture mode your eyes are transported to another dimension. Oh and not forgetting the LG WebOS is amazing.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lou3b View Post
    I managed to pickup the LG 49SJ800V up for around £550 from AO. http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49SJ800V

Absolutely brilliant TV. I haven't found one fault with it yet, use it for the Xbox one X. Upscales like a champ, 4k is brilliant on it and one of the best gaming modes you can get for a TV at the moment it and if you switch it into Vivid picture mode your eyes are transported to another dimension. Oh and not forgetting the LG WebOS is amazing.
    You did well. It's coming up at £689 on the website

Sent from my Philips Cellnet using a 12c508
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know, I was lucky it was on a super sale I think. I've just checked and I got it for £564 in the end. Curry's do a very similar version the LG 49SJ810V but it apparently uses a slight lesser pannel 8bit vs 10bit

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I know, I was lucky it was on a super sale I think. I've just checked and I got it for £564 in the end. Curry's do a very similar version the LG 49SJ810V but it apparently uses a slight lesser pannel 8bit vs 10bit
    When I was researching TVs before buying mine I read that 8bit vs 10bit is a big difference, it's the difference between true HDR and 'partial' HDR due to the light output. If you want a really nice HDR display you need to look for HDR premium which I believe are 10bit or 10bit+, I think the idea is for the image to seem more realistic i.e. on my LG if watching a dark scene and someone has a torch on the film, you actually squint when it faces you as you would if it was real life.

If HDR isn't something you are bothered about then it doesn't matter I guess but if there was only a relatively small leap in price between the two I'd personally go for the 10bit as they all seemed to say resolution doesn't matter as much as HDR for a good picture. My Hisense is an 8bit HDR I think but I only use that for casual watching in bed so just wanted cheap and cheerful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    When I was researching TVs before buying mine I read that 8bit vs 10bit is a big difference, it's the difference between true HDR and 'partial' HDR due to the light output. If you want a really nice HDR display you need to look for HDR premium which I believe are 10bit or 10bit+, I think the idea is for the image to seem more realistic i.e. on my LG if watching a dark scene and someone has a torch on the film, you actually squint when it faces you as you would if it was real life.

If HDR isn't something you are bothered about then it doesn't matter I guess but if there was only a relatively small leap in price between the two I'd personally go for the 10bit as they all seemed to say resolution doesn't matter as much as HDR for a good picture. My Hisense is an 8bit HDR I think but I only use that for casual watching in bed so just wanted cheap and cheerful.
    This is true. There is also Dolby Vision HDR which is another thing. If you can stretch a little go for a 10bit panel TV, I must have spent a good month or two deciding on which one to get and this LG one came up and I snapped it up straight away, the list of features I got at that price was amazing. I didn't think it would make that much difference at first but going from a 49" 1080p JVC to a 49" 4k LG I was gobsmacked, the biggest difference was with the games on the Xbox One X

This site here explains quite a lot about the different aspects of 4k, 8bit/10bit/12bt and all the HDR's etc https://dgit.com/4k-hdr-guide-45905/

Thanks to lou3b

piggzy (26th March 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't have any modern games consoles but really want to try 4k HDR on my LG! I tested a ~60GB HDR bluray rip of IT and it looked excellent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is true. There is also Dolby Vision HDR which is another thing. If you can stretch a little go for a 10bit panel TV, I must have spent a good month or two deciding on which one to get and this LG one came up and I snapped it up straight away, the list of features I got at that price was amazing. I didn't think it would make that much difference at first but going from a 49" 1080p JVC to a 49" 4k LG I was gobsmacked, the biggest difference was with the games on the Xbox One X

This site here explains quite a lot about the different aspects of 4k, 8bit/10bit/12bt and all the HDR's etc https://dgit.com/4k-hdr-guide-45905/
    The panel specs of the model i ordered, a LG-49UJ630V say it's a 10 bit panel, 8 bit plus FRC, i googled FRC and it seems it's just a bit better than standard 8 bit but not as good as 10 bit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Worst thing about getting a 10 bit is downloading shit to watch on it. One episode of a TV programme in HDR can be 17Gb but when it is something like Planet Earth 2 it is certainly worth it. Watched the new Jumanji flick yesterday and UHD was certainly worth it for that ginger bitch.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how are you delivering it to the tv ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    how are you delivering it to the tv ??
    Off a 2.5" WD drive currently. All my HD content is done via DLNA across the network but not tried it via that route yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Correct me if I am wrong as things may well have changed. Am I right that Blu ray doesn't support any of the 10 bit stuff HDR wise ?!?!?!

Thanks
    Karma Level

No idea as physical media doesn’t happen in our house. Never owned a blu ray player.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong as things may well have changed. Am I right that Blu ray doesn't support any of the 10 bit stuff HDR wise ?!?!?!
    Ultra HD discs are needed, I imagine they must be a variant of bluray but from my limited search just now looks like the player must also be HDR compatible! Talk about pushing people to streaming services...

HDR HLG is being developed and one of the partners is the BBC, I demo my tv to mates who ask using the ultra hd trial in the BBC iPlayer app.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my TV has arrived and it looks fantastic, the WebOs works great, couldn't get the Plex app to work but there is an app called Xplay which seems to works near enough exactly the same.

The only thing that bothers me is that it's a 49" unit but measuring the screen it's only 43"?

Looking at the specs here that seems correct though, it's confusing to me though lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

are you measuring from top left to bottom right ??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    are you measuring from top left to bottom right ??
    Yeah top left to bottom right is 49", it just doesn't seem as big as i had imagined.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast