Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Burglar proofing (or as close as).

Chaps. Having just been broken into (whilst Mrs wijit and mini wijit were asleep upstairs-I was on nights), we are all a bit on the edge just now. However, we go away for a few days in June. Money is not that ready at the moment, but obviously we want to do as much as we possibly can to give ourselves at least a bit of confidence we'll not come back to another state.
    I have bolts etc. for door, shock alarms for the tops of doors ans well as windows and the usual array of mortice/yale locks.
    First part of the query is; is there much more we can do along those lines?
    Second part; Do you know of lights/radio timers which don't require plugging into the mains? I say that because we witnessed a major fire not too long ago when a friend had a timer on their tv and timer on a lamp left plugged in for their holiday and it really put us off the idea.
    Any help/advice would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Burglar proofing (or as close as).

Security PIR lights front and back are a must imo, as well as an audible alarm & rack bolt for the windows and doors. Also get friendly with a neighbour so they keep an eye on your place & will call you if your alarm should ever to off. I would lastly put in some HD CCTV cams and setup zones to monitor movement at a particular time. IE> If the camera detects movements in a particular zone it will send you an alert to your mobile phone, you can then remotely view that camera using your phone from where ever you are.
    TIP, the police will respond instantly if your a female with a child in the house, so always get your missus to call if situation should ever arise.

How did they get into your property last time ?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93001?table=no

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p19937?table=no
    Last edited by josweet; 4th March 2017 at 07:47 AM.

2 Thanks given to josweet

Over Carl (4th March 2017),  wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear that. The very best audio alarm I have ever heard was an air raid siren! I think that alone would shit up whoever would try an attempt!

I had a Yale wireless alarm set for Christmas which is easy to install and not overly expensive. You can add to the sets also depending on your needs. I think a yearly routine of battery swapping is all that's required.

Thanks to dainese

wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your on the night shift regular I would change the locks, you never know who your misses may have given a spare key too!

But seriously you can put all the bolts you want on your door but that will still not give you the same comfort as being able to remotely look at your property from afar. You could go the full hog with CCTV but I just re-purposed some old smartphones, plugged in various places around the house , camera facing forward all running IP Web cam (free) which I can set up to ping me if things change and view when I want a live feed, especial when the milkman calls round to see my missus.

Thanks to JonEp

wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also the police give away LED lights which simulate a tv turned on, we use this as well as timers.
    But also helps having a big dealer live next door who looks after the house, puts word out to scrotes not to come near.

Thanks to consoles

wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have an extra siren INSIDE the house. I have read a few alarm engineers do this now. The aim is to make it unbearable for intruders to stay. When you come back and have saved some spare cash then look into home automation with the one eye on security.

Thanks to DavidF

wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Have an extra siren INSIDE the house. I have read a few alarm engineers do this now. The aim is to make it unbearable for intruders to stay. When you come back and have saved some spare cash then look into home automation with the one eye on security.
    Second this, having recently had to attend a faulty alarm system in the middle of the night, even with ear defenders these are uncomfortable to be close to when active.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks to Nathz29

wijit (4th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you all so much for your advice. As soon as I can, I'll get the alarm fitted. We do have one, but it's quite poor really and doesn't attract attention when it goes off.
    Lights are just waiting for me to fit them now, busy weekend I guess!
    Told the missus to not give the milky the spare key, he can knock before entering (oo-er!) like any other tradesman!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wijit View Post
    Thank you all so much for your advice. As soon as I can, I'll get the alarm fitted. We do have one, but it's quite poor really and doesn't attract attention when it goes off.
    Lights are just waiting for me to fit them now, busy weekend I guess!
    Told the missus to not give the milky the spare key, he can knock before entering (oo-er!) like any other tradesman!!
    Unless you have either very good neighbours who you are friends with or are involved in a good neighbourhood watch scheme then im afraid nobody EVER responds to house alarms.....Except thinking "I wish they would hurry up and get that noise turned off"
    In a money saving attitude just bite the bullet and move the current bell inside....like I say it's all about getting them out asap.....Really it's about making sure they don't even want to try in the first place....But as you know you will need to spend a bit to get to that stage. Local crime prevention officer should give you free advice too.
    Home automation is great for making stuff switch on/off ect and you can integrate this with your fire alarm/co2/burglar alarm you can have all this set up to send texts to as many phones as you want and even send commands to shut off power ect ect......So it can all be done and if you do it yourself it needn't cost the earth.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Visible Deterrents on the Outside, Alarm Box, Crazy Barky Dog (Works for Me), Wireless IP Dog Cam, Hells Angels MC Manchester Next Door ....

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Remember reading somewhere that burglars love floodlights - helps them see better when they're breaking in.

Yep. Big scary barky dog noises - rigged to a sensor? - No better deterrent than a hillbilly doorbell

Couple of visible cameras and a few discrete cameras to catch the fuckers in action.

Thieving cunts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    Also the police give away LED lights which simulate a tv turned on, we use this as well as timers.
    I've got one of these for an empty property Im fixing up they are very convincing. When I fitted it I drove back down the road to have a look from a distance away and it really did look like someone was watching telly in the bedroom (or xhamster lol)
    As a tight c*nt im a bit annoyed to find out the gary's give them away for free mine cost £11 from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Simu...ywords=fake+tv

Also get some timers to put on lamps and some window security film. CCTV is the best thing though as it's a deterrent aswell as evidence.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Yes, I had this done at the shop, the installer fitted the standard 90dB warbler and asked me if I wanted a Chinese 120Db one, those are illegal and he said no fucker would be able to withstand the racket they make. He said people go deaf at 120dB.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's good to install a CCTV along with a burglar alarm because you can monitor anything happening outside with it. You can even detect fake alarms with it. You can have a look at this article if you have any doubts (http://www.fire-monitoring.com/tips-burglar-proof-business/) it also mentions some tips for burglar proofing.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

no chance you can get a house sitter to stay while your on holiday ?

i have CCTV and alarm that phones me if activated etc.. but i still get a very good friend of mine to house sit while we go away

on the subject of alarms the wireless ones are about the easiest to fit and are pretty reliable the one i have was bought from B&Q over ten tears ago and is still going strong
    i think B&Q replaced the response range of wireless alarms with Yale now but the seem to be pretty much the same thing
    CCTV there's hundreds to choose from in varying degrees of quality but i would avoid wireless CCTV cameras especially the cheaper end of the market there too prone to interference
    as far as i am aware wireless IP cameras don't suffer the same fate but can get expensive for a full set up with NVR but do offer higher resolutions than full HD CCTV

the key to any CCTV setup regardless of resolution is to try and not cover too big of an area with any single camera the bigger the area you cover the less detail can be had from any given spot if you understand what i mean by that
    your better off using cameras that cover specific spots ie if you want to keep an eye on your car have the frame filled with just the car not the car the drive way hand half the road leading to it and the same with the exit entry points of your property
    it's better to use more cameras than to have one camera to cover all so to speak

as far as home alarms are concerned choose one that has the capability to phone you ( and others ) it is the fastest response you will get

Thanks
    Karma Level

change all downstairs glass to laminated and replace normal eurocylinders with 3 star anti snap ones !

Amstrad