Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

LG's have CAP issues as well. Sometimes you get the problem of "I have to wait 20min for my tv to start," this again is a CAP issue. In some cases i have seen ebay documents/CAPS to have a higher rated replacement to avoid the issue happening again. Very rarely do the ebay kits give like for like caps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

Nice info guys.

I've been repairing TVs for almost 30 years. Most customers these days come to us telling us "it's the capacitators. I've read it on t'internet". And whilst they are often right, certainly not always.

I'm more than happy to help established members with TV faults, help with sourcing proper components (not Maplin shite!) etc. If the mods approve of course.

Cheers.

7 Thanks given to Percy Sugden

BIG-TED (16th September 2012),  BigBird (16th September 2012),  drdude (11th October 2012),  evilsatan (16th September 2012),  JonEp (6th October 2012),  tshirt (7th October 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (16th September 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are helping to source components rather than sell directly then I see no problem, sounds like a very nice offer of help to the forum. I might need to call upon your expertise shortly...

Thanks
    Karma Level

It seems I now have a dodgy TV developing at my parents house. Toshiba LCD, it sometimes refuses to come out of standby until unplugged for a few minutes. Possibly the caps? I will most likely wait until it gets worse as my parents would prefer to put up with it as its not often!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by harryb View Post
    It seems I now have a dodgy TV developing at my parents house. Toshiba LCD, it sometimes refuses to come out of standby until unplugged for a few minutes. Possibly the caps? I will most likely wait until it gets worse as my parents would prefer to put up with it as its not often!
    Unlikely.

Give me the model number when you can. Bet it's a 32AV615 or similar. Needs a firmware update. Gets its knickers in a twist when looking for a OTA update and locks up. I can send you the firmware.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

Nice info. Thanks
    -= tom999 =-
    tonight the milky bars are on me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Sugden View Post
    Unlikely.

Give me the model number when you can. Bet it's a 32AV615 or similar. Needs a firmware update. Gets its knickers in a twist when looking for a OTA update and locks up. I can send you the firmware.
    Brilliant will get you that ASAP thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Percy,
    model is 40LV665D

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really sorry I missed this. Do you still need help?!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Percy, no problem
    Yes if you can, would be great.
    I had turned off checking for updates on the TV and it actually made the situation better but just today it was back to it's old tricks.
    Possibly placebo effect

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll do some reading in the morning and get the firmware if needed, I can mail it to you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did a couple of Topfield PVRs last year with blown caps and they're still going strong (give or take a buggered hard drive)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Percy. My brother has a technika (Tesco branded I believe) 42" LCD and he had a problem with it not turning on so I replaced a few obvious caps a few weeks ago and it was all ok for a while. Now though, it has a habit of actually turning off at what seems to be random.
    I can't see anything obvious with the other caps at the moment though.

Would you consider this to also be caps as well?

Thanks.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

The electrolytic cap is the bane of many products . Unfortunately manufacturers nearly always opt for cheap under rated parts which age very quickly

Thanks to braymond

TAR (8th October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Hi Percy. My brother has a technika (Tesco branded I believe) 42" LCD and he had a problem with it not turning on so I replaced a few obvious caps a few weeks ago and it was all ok for a while. Now though, it has a habit of actually turning off at what seems to be random.
    I can't see anything obvious with the other caps at the moment though.

Would you consider this to also be caps as well?

Thanks.
    Electrolytic capacitor failures usually mean the set struggles to switch on from cold, so I doubt this'll be the fault with yours. Technika's are rebadged Vestel sets and the fault you describe is common on some of them, depending on the model. Do you have the model number, or better still, the part number of the power supply PCB? A pic would do.

If it's the one I suspect, it could be a couple of caps but not electrolytics!

Thanks to Percy Sugden

burner1 (7th October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Sugden View Post
    Electrolytic capacitor failures usually mean the set struggles to switch on from cold, so I doubt this'll be the fault with yours. Technika's are rebadged Vestel sets and the fault you describe is common on some of them, depending on the model. Do you have the model number, or better still, the part number of the power supply PCB? A pic would do.

If it's the one I suspect, it could be a couple of caps but not electrolytics!
    This is the board mate.. From the printing on it, it's 17PW26-4 and v.1 in smaller letters.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a jvc lt-37dsb6, this has just gone about a week ago while watching it. Has sound but no picture. I had this all apart yesterday and backlight is working. Should i be looking at the main power board assy? for capacitors? or is there normally another fault with these?

Also is it ok just to unplug these and remove, do i have to avoid touching anything or discharge anything?
    Last edited by lagigolo; 8th October 2012 at 06:03 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Could do with some help too. I've previously repaired a good mates Samsung tv by spotting and upgrading some capacitors. This time my bedroom telly a Samsung LE40M87BDX has stopped coming on, the LED on the front responds when I use the remote control but as said the screen just doesn't come on. There's none of the clicking and "warming up" noises that I had become used to. Please note this tv was replaced under warranty for a noisy backlight a couple of years ago, I was told to dispose of the old one so I used it upstairs with settings that minimised the noisy backlight. Anyway, I've taken the back off and the capacitors (which I expected to be swollen like my mates were) seem ok to my untrained eyes. Please see the attached photos. Any advice gratefully received.

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lagigolo View Post
    I have a jvc lt-37dsb6, this has just gone about a week ago while watching it. Has sound but no picture. I had this all apart yesterday and backlight is working. Should i be looking at the main power board assy? for capacitors? or is there normally another fault with these?

Also is it ok just to unplug these and remove, do i have to avoid touching anything or discharge anything?
    Just make sure you unplug from the wall socket. The old tv's with the large CRT (Cathod Ray Tube) were the ones that would store a large capacitive charge in the tube itself. modern LCD TV's should not a present a problem.

Not being a TV engineer I only have experience of the few I have repaired so can't comment on individual make/model common faults. All I can tell you is that the majority of faults come down to capacitors on the power supply board. Closely examine the capacitor tops for even the slightest bulge. Even if you cant see any faulty ones, do a search on ebay for a capacitor kit for your make/model. For the cost involved I would probably take a chance and change them anyway. (">

Edit: Cant see a kit for this model so you may have to source them individually from someone like RS components.
    Last edited by BigBird; 9th October 2012 at 12:22 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Could do with some help too. I've previously repaired a good mates Samsung tv by spotting and upgrading some capacitors. This time my bedroom telly a Samsung LE40M87BDX has stopped coming on, the LED on the front responds when I use the remote control but as said the screen just doesn't come on. There's none of the clicking and "warming up" noises that I had become used to. Please note this tv was replaced under warranty for a noisy backlight a couple of years ago, I was told to dispose of the old one so I used it upstairs with settings that minimised the noisy backlight. Anyway, I've taken the back off and the capacitors (which I expected to be swollen like my mates were) seem ok to my untrained eyes. Please see the attached photos. Any advice gratefully received.

Closely examine the capacitor tops for even the slightest bulge. Even if you cant see any faulty ones, do a search on ebay for a capacitor kit for your make/model. For the cost involved I would probably take a chance and change them anyway. (">

Found this kit here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-LE...1#ht_500wt_923

And this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Kit...ht_4337wt_1163
    Last edited by BigBird; 9th October 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks to BigBird

beansontoast (9th October 2012)  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast