Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Thinking Of selling up and buying in Spain ! Anyone done this?

As per the title .......

But it seems to bring up lots of questions like, Medical requirements, Life insurance held in UK, is it still valid, Uk payments like state pension, is it still payable if you take up permanent residency in another Country several Years before your retirement, etc etc .....

Has anyone on here made the move?

Regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Thinking Of selling up and buying in Spain ! Anyone done this?

My parents moved to Portugal so would be able to answer questions for you.
    they have been there around 4 years or so now and my mum had spent some time in hospital after having a kidney problem.

So if you have a list of questions I can forward them over for you?
    i have noticed though they rely on me a lot now.

Voip for a uk landline number
    iptv for uk tv
    use our address for post from bank and such.
    we have to post uk foods over every few months as Portugal don’t sell the nice stuff.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

2 Thanks given to Teajunkie

Lestronics (2nd February 2018),  piggzy (2nd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    My parents moved to Portugal so would be able to answer questions for you.
    they have been there around 4 years or so now and my mum had spent some time in hospital after having a kidney problem.

So if you have a list of questions I can forward them over for you?
    i have noticed though they rely on me a lot now.

Voip for a uk landline number
    iptv for uk tv
    use our address for post from bank and such.
    we have to post uk foods over every few months as Portugal don’t sell the nice stuff.
    That's very nice of you, heres my story and concerns.
    I was widowed around 10 Years a go with my then 6 Year old Daughter, I gave up work to take care of my Daughter and have never worked since, I receive Widowed Parents Allowance and the usual Child Tax Credits/Benefit etc. It was always my intention to eventially sell up, buy a property out of the sale in the uk and purchase a property abroad and retire ! (Spain). My Daughter officially leaves school in June and then starts a 2 Year course at college (the end of her education). I have until at least March 2019 to guarantee a permenant residency in Spain (Brexit), should I make the move now, my daughter plans to move into her brothers house in the UK and would join me in spain for holidays and would also move out permantly after college and seek work in Spain. my concerns are .......

1. Should I move out of the Uk am I still entitled to my UK State Pension when I reach 67, despite the fact that I would be a permanent resident in Spain and bearing in mind, I'm 57 and the State Pension age in the UK for me was raised from 65 to 67 but is 65 in Spain, I know I'm not entitled to Spanish Pension.?

2. I took out Life insurance (UK) up to the age of 85 (figured I'd most likely be dead by then!) for 20k (cover cost of funeral and a bit over). Would this still be valid assuming payments were maintained?

3. Further questions raised from question 2, What if you become ill? and what about when you die? as a UK citizen when you travel abroad your entitled to medical/healthcare, cost covered by the NHS right? as long as you have one of those cards that you apply for. should you die are you entitled to be buried there?, I assume you must be if you have residency rights?

Those are the big questions, lots of little ones, bank account, car, mobile phone etc .....

Regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

My folks said Spain is a different set of rules to Portugal but are happy to talk to you via Facebook if you want mate?
    they did say Portugal is a better option and would recommend it over Spain any day of the week
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

JonEp (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great of TJ to offer such good help.
    I can add a bit of vague knowledge as a close friend moved to Southern Spain about 4 years ago and visits regularly. He is here atm if you want me to ask him anything.

I have asked him in the past about healthcare and forget his exact answer but he said it wasnt a problem.
    He went out there without a massive amount of investment but was enough to get a small cottage (just 2 of em) he potters about doing gardening for people for pocket money.
    I remember him also saying Pension not an issue as he looked into it and it doesn't matter where you live in the world you are still entitled.

Like I said I can ask him more specific questions to Spain if that helps above TJ's knowledge incase of any difference between Portugal/Spain ?!?!?

One thing I will say is bloody good luck to ya. Enjoy it when it happens.

Edit: He moved to Roda, Murcia if that is any use to ya.
    Last edited by piggzy; 2nd February 2018 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks to piggzy

Lestronics (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    My folks said Spain is a different set of rules to Portugal but are happy to talk to you via Facebook if you want mate?
    they did say Portugal is a better option and would recommend it over Spain any day of the week
    Again thank you for your help and although I've no interest in Portugal, I'm sure there are some similar/same scenariios with moving abroad, so to talk to someone who's actually made the move would be fantastic ! I'll drop you a pm with Facebook details a bit later.
    Thankfully I'm still quite tech savvy, so little things like Tv/broadband/IPTV/Computers etc shouldn't cause me any concern. Again thank you.

Regards

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    Tv/broadband/IPTV/Computers etc shouldn't cause me any concern. Again thank you.

Regards
    Just remember if you need any IPTV info and things don't post it on open forum as you will get a ban like Jaygo got.

I think your brave and I hope you do get out there. If it wasn't for the family here id go tomorrow

Thanks to Mickey

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Great of TJ to offer such good help.
    I can add a bit of vague knowledge as a close friend moved to Southern Spain about 4 years ago and visits regularly. He is here atm if you want me to ask him anything.

I have asked him in the past about healthcare and forget his exact answer but he said it wasnt a problem.
    He went out there without a massive amount of investment but was enough to get a small cottage (just 2 of em) he potters about doing gardening for people for pocket money.
    I remember him also saying Pension not an issue as he looked into it and it doesn't matter where you live in the world you are still entitled.

Like I said I can ask him more specific questions to Spain if that helps above TJ's knowledge incase of any difference between Portugal/Spain ?!?!?

One thing I will say is bloody good luck to ya. Enjoy it when it happens.

Edit: He moved to Roda, Murcia if that is any use to ya.
    Again thank you for the great offer !! The above questions are my biggest concern, so any info on them would be great. I've looked at Roda/Murcia and they are very nice places, I'm looking at Alicante region, good airport connections and very nice cheap Villa's and Bungalows with pools and within my budget

Regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having lived in both Spain and Portugal in the last ten years for long periods I have to concur with TJ and his parents. Unless there is a good reason to move to Spain ie family connections I would definantly suggest you take a road trip around Portugal first before deciding.

Spain has high unemployment a high crime rate and many of the locals generally don't want expats living there anymore, some even moved to violent protest in recent times. More often than not getting heath care with just a E111 is problematic, when we eventually leave Europe I'm guessing the situation will only get worse.

Portugal on the other hand is almost the complete opposite. Given the low minimum wage around 550 euro a month property rental is cheap. 300 to 350 euros will get you a reasonable apartment, utilities are cheaper than Spain. The locals are friendly and welcome newcomers, especial outside of the tourist resorts. Healthcare is on a similar par to the UK plus the option of private health care. A large portion of the NHS is staffed with Portuguese at present. As with all Mediterranean countries learning how to interact with bureaucracy will take a little time taxing your car for example may take an hour but unlike Spain its a universally friendly process, its just a different way of doing things. Food and beer is cheap if you follow the locals. A bottle of beer a euro with food a few more euros. English is universally spoken as a second language by most people in the south. Once you have residence and pay tax in Portugal and an understanding of the language (though I'm never sure which one. The people from the North speak a completely different language to the Algarve!) a Portuguese passport isn't far behind if you choose to follow the process.

2 Thanks given to JonEp

Lestronics (3rd February 2018),  piggzy (3rd February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a mate who moved to Spain (Costa Del sol) (Benalmadena) - He bought a house out there with a mortgage and also his misses has had a couple of kids out there too who now are dual nationality AND the whole family unit are now dual language.....Mate did not have a clue before going there....he went after he became bankrupt in the UK.
    As for your pension - that is your's you have paid for it ect ect - current rules say you can go there and claim your pension if you are living abroad as long as you have paid enough NI - You can check your totals online I believe
    Healthcare is a bit different - you can use your ehc card to start with but after 3 months you are supposed to be registered with the local town hall as a resident and after that you then need to pay spains version of NI to receive "free" healthcare - if you have an accident you must go to a state hospital (which are fully equipped and modern) otherwise you will have to pay - ambulances will try to take you to private hospital....im sure they get paid a referral lol
    The free healthcare changes when you actually become a fully fledged pensioner - Then you must get a form filled in from the UK (Form S1)and take it to your local town hall in spain and register as an pensioner - then you will be entitled to free healthcare as above but obviously still having to avoid private hospitals and clinics lol.
    You can always come back to the UK and get free healthcare......You have paid your NI so therefore don't feel "guilty" about this.
    Again your insurances (life ect) should be absolutely no change as to payouts no matter where you are when you "qualify" for the premium
    You can be buried in spain, You can be cremated in spain or you can be repatriated (at cost in the 10k region) - worth checking your life insurance to see what it says about dieing abroad and what they will pay for - but if it's just a case of you pop your clogs and your insurer pays out £20k to your estate - then that wont change no matter if your on the moon when you meet the reaper lol

From memory my mate got residentia which is basically the legal side of becoming a spanish resident officially recognised ect ect ecthttps://www.expatica.com/es/visas-and-permits/How-to-get-Spanish-citizenship_107634.html

I can only go on what my mate and to a lesser extent I found when in spain - I was out there for a couple of years all told and loved the place sooo much. I also plan to retire there most likely Mijas - about 15 -20 mins from the sea....slightly up in the hills - So beautiful and tranquil but also half hour away from all the hustle and bustle if you ever crave it.

Good luck - I do hope you have visited the areas you are hoping to retire in - many people just arrive without much of a clue....not that great a thing to do imho
    Also if you like to be treated nicely and shown proper community spirit then at least TRY to learn some of the lingo - or you will be seen as just another ignorant old brit with no time nor respect for the locals.....bit like the way non english speaking people get treated over here i suppose - Speaking spanish when doing any sort of business deals will get you best prices and best service - but lots of things in spain is manana - tomorrow lol. Leave the 100mph crap back in the UK.

Finally you better hope that our current chancellor gets his way as if we leave the EU without a deal and over a cliff edge then UK nationals in the EU and EU nationals in the UK are going to face very uncertain long term futures and im sure SOME countries will either chuck out the brits or impose strict conditions on those who wish to remain (Show that you have £xxxxxx in the bank as in other countries outwith the EU) - A lot will depend on the attitude and end result of the EU-UK negotiations.......Although that wont stop my long term plans - I would just live "privately" and illegally lol basically in Spain as in the UK if you have enough cash to pay for everything yourself and don't make a nuisance of yourself (Getting arrested ect) then you can live wherever you like.

Edit to add - Just seen the Portugal posts - Southern Spain has the nicer all year weather not much rain in winter and temps still in the teens. As said about attitude - Spanish locals will treat you right IF and WHEN you treat them like equals - that means learning the lingo instead of thinking your Euro should be king......I also have a cousin who lives on the spain/gibralta border as his job is in gib airport (construction) - he is minted and lives in a gated private community and has also made spain his home - Crime can be an issue but no worse than UK and if you live out of town it is like the UK .....much better.
    Last edited by DavidF; 3rd February 2018 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks to DavidF

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    Spain has high unemployment a high crime rate and many of the locals generally don't want expats living there anymore, some even moved to violent protest in recent times. More often than not getting heath care with just a E111 is problematic, when we eventually leave Europe I suspect the situation will only get worse.
    Thank's for the advise, not what I wanted to hear I remember a little while back there was and probably still is a lot of unrest in Barcelona, with exactly what you describe, lots of locals being priced and forced out of property due the high demand and popularity as a tourist area with eager landlords cashing in and increasing the rental prices but wasn't aware it was in other regions? I've not heard of any unrest further south in the Alicante regions where Im looking to locate?

Regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you should deffinately consider a 6 month rent if in Spain or indeed Portugal - When my mate did it - I went with him and another mate to help move him and hang around for a year or so lol - we were young then with all of us in a position to do whatever we wanted - We got a place 12 steps from the beach (we counted) on a very exclusive marina in benalmadina - at a cost of....300 a month - these places go for in excess of £1k per week so you can see what a great deal we got......place was big enough for the 3 of us with room for 4 or 5 more if need be. That was a long time ago now though - 20 years....and with the Euro prices have increased...BUt there has also been a spectacular property bust though...and im hearing of little studio apartments being sold for as little as £16k (My cousin buys a few as he is mates with a few people in high places in banks ect down there....but there are bargains to be had for all for sure. the cost of living is higher than back then now as the euro has buggered things up...but that is the same for all eu countries.

Thanks to DavidF

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your cousin hears of any more bargain repo's I'd be interested, would love to get a place somewhere close enough to nip out for long weekends. Been looking more at Majorca but they never had such a drop as mainland Spain.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    If your cousin hears of any more bargain repo's I'd be interested, would love to get a place somewhere close enough to nip out for long weekends. Been looking more at Majorca but they never had such a drop as mainland Spain.
    Lol - I'll tap him up as to what's on offer. He's a bit of a wheeler dealer though so any extras he hears of he will buy even in front of family. But he did say there are plenty of "bargains" down near the border Gibraltar/Spain and indeed up the coast. I have spent some time down there and it is on my possibles list.

Thanks to DavidF

hoponbaby (4th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    As for your pension - that is your's you have paid for it ect ect - current rules say you can go there and claim your pension if you are living abroad as long as you have paid enough NI - You can check your totals online I believe
    Yes although I've not worked for the last 10 Years for personal reasons, I have it seems paid enough to at least get the basic pension when (and if I make it) reach 67, I took my private pension when I reached 55 as this is now permitted and it was only 26k, figured I could use it better now and pay of a few debts, home improvements etc ....

From memory my mate got residentia which is basically the legal side of becoming a spanish resident officially recognised ect ect ecthttps://www.expatica.com/es/visas-and-permits/How-to-get-Spanish-citizenship_107634.html
    That's an interesting link ! I was told that if you have purchased property for a permanent living/relocation then you could apply immediately for permanent residency? provided you have the means to support yourself, ie an income such as a pension etc ... reading that link says otherwise, 5 Years of living there for permanant residency or 10 Years for citizenship, with the latter surrendering your passport and uk nationality ! I was always under the impression that you then held dual nationality?.[/QUOTE]

Good luck - I do hope you have visited the areas you are hoping to retire in - many people just arrive without much of a clue....not that great a thing to do imho
    Also if you like to be treated nicely and shown proper community spirit then at least TRY to learn some of the lingo - or you will be seen as just another ignorant old brit with no time nor respect for the locals.....bit like the way non english speaking people get treated over here i suppose - Speaking spanish when doing any sort of business deals will get you best prices and best service - but lots of things in spain is manana - tomorrow lol. Leave the 100mph crap back in the UK.
    Yes I'm a firm believer in attempting to speak the language in any country I visit (mainly spanish), funny enough I was in Torredembarra a few Months back and called a taxi to take us to a family members villa and while in the taxi trying to communicate directions in my limited way, he said to me can you please speak in english as he understood it very well ! I asked him to humour me as I was trying to learn the language, sometimes you can't win

Thank you for all the information.
    Regards

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lestronics View Post
    Yes although I've not worked for the last 10 Years for personal reasons, I have it seems paid enough to at least get the basic pension when (and if I make it) reach 67, I took my private pension when I reached 55 as this is now permitted and it was only 26k, figured I could use it better now and pay of a few debts, home improvements etc ....

That's an interesting link ! I was told that if you have purchased property for a permanent living/relocation then you could apply immediately for permanent residency? provided you have the means to support yourself, ie an income such as a pension etc ... reading that link says otherwise, 5 Years of living there for permanant residency or 10 Years for citizenship, with the latter surrendering your passport and uk nationality ! I was always under the impression that you then held dual nationality?.

Yes I'm a firm believer in attempting to speak the language in any country I visit (mainly spanish), funny enough I was in Torredembarra a few Months back and called a taxi to take us to a family members villa and while in the taxi trying to communicate directions in my limited way, he said to me can you please speak in english as he understood it very well ! I asked him to humour me as I was trying to learn the language, sometimes you can't win

Thank you for all the information.
    Regards[/QUOTE]What ever you do. Don't buy a bar. I have tried to save it must be double figures numbers of people from parting with their redundancy lol. Some took my advice.... Many didn't and out of those who did buy bar's I'm not sure any lasted 5 years.... Just buy a property and be happy lol. If you need to work then odd building jobs for expats seems to be quiet good and steady for guys your age.... Of course if you have enough to just chill then great.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Er a part time bad poker player was ere:bomb:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Rent first repent later.