Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Buying games through accounts ??

Do any of you guys buy games through accounts.

E.g

You have to add an account to (in my case your xbox) or ps4 and it includes the game(s). I have done so for a while but was curious why nobody has ever mentioned it here as far as I am aware.
    I get most newly released games for £20 - £25 and have only ever had one issue (which was today and prompted me posting this) . I was able to resolve the issue as the seller had obviously sold the account to 2 people but not being a noob was able to recover/change password/email e.t.c Hit the limit of Home Xbox changes which was easily sorted by live chatting xbox support ....

But as I say after buying about 20 games this way this was the only issue. Do any of you buy this way??? So far I am more than quids in. Most places I buy from include the recovery email account details so you have no worries at all.

I got Fallout 4, Skyrim Remaster, PVZ GW2, TitanFall 2, stuff for kids, Watchdogs etc and loads of others with no issues.

What say you ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Buying games through accounts ??

Yeah I bought The Division like this and as you say got username and recovery email (which I changed the passwords to both) but I not sure I do it again as don't want flood my xbox with these pseudo accounts as I am not sure if can delete the account and still use the game?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would steer clear of this in my opinion. You are buying someone elses account in essence so this is a breach of Microsoft's T&Cs so they could block the account at any time. Also even if you change the password it doesn't mean that the person that originally setup the account cannot take it back.

There are other forums (I know - hard to believe ) where people have bought a game, it's worked for a week or two then stopped working.

I've recently used Kinguin to buy GoW4 digital for £30 - they have some good deals but they deal in codes not accounts. I know I could have bought it a few pennies cheaper from Smyths and had the physical but this way me and my son get a copy of it
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

Bald Bouncer (17th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's why I only really bought it once as didn't know exactly what the crack was as it was a German site so didn't understand all the wording but I did think was a bit too dodgy to do all the time.

Whats Kinguin? As yeah I rather have a digi download as one of my bugbears is swapping discs really in this day and age?

Thanks
    Karma Level

These are freshly created accounts. You can log into live.com and see creation date e.t.c and if you get recovery email details and change all details you are safe. It is the ones without the recovery email where people are getting scammed imho.

Have seen loads of people moaning after it stops working a week later and none of them have email recovery details (or had them but did not change details)

Got accounts over a year old now still all working fine.

@akimba. Once you set the 'home xbox' you can delete the account (just keep details incase). Then you don't clog up the xbox.

Thanks to piggzy

EvilBoB (17th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I thought if set as home I could then delete but I already game sharing with someone else so I don't want to set as home so still have to keep this dummy account?

But yeah is something I tried but don't think be doing again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    @akimba. Once you set the 'home xbox' you can delete the account (just keep details incase). Then you don't clog up the xbox.
    I see... So if I do this, buy an account and set my home xbox then delete the account off the xbox it will still work and there's nothing MS can do I suppose?
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's the theory but when you are doing this multiple times and not setting as home is the grey area? as say I got dummy account on xbox for Division but not set as home as my home in friends house so he gets my games. (I not checked to see if he can play The Division also tho??)

Thanks to akimba

piggzy (17th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    I see... So if I do this, buy an account and set my home xbox then delete the account off the xbox it will still work and there's nothing MS can do I suppose?
    Thats what I have done.. any issues you can re add the account if needed .

Only issue I had was buying Skyrim recently and took gamble and didnt have email recovery. Someone changed the home xbox so I thought I was fucked. I could login to xbox.com and see 2 devices and was able to find an old link on live.com that let me change the recovery email account by sending a PIN to a mobile. The other user could have blocked me if they had half a clue but I was lucky (and very quick) they didnt and now all details/emails/password changed to me. Wont risk it again as obviously that is where the scamming happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Yeah that's the theory but when you are doing this multiple times and not setting as home is the grey area? as say I got dummy account on xbox for Division but not set as home as my home in friends house so he gets my games. (I not checked to see if he can play The Division also tho??)
    I think the way it works basically orphans the game on the xbox but still flagged as the home console. As the game isn't "your accounts" game then your friend wouldn't be able to download it or play it - essentially it would be locked to your console under a user account that no longer exists.

I could see MS patching this if it gets too much of a big deal.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

so once you set to home for say Skyrim, when you buy your next game say Battlefield 1 do you set that to home and lose access to Skyrim unless you re-add the account to your xbox?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    so once you set to home for say Skyrim, when you buy your next game say Battlefield 1 do you set that to home and lose access to Skyrim unless you re-add the account to your xbox?
    No they all work. I have games from loads of different accounts all set individually to 'This is my home xbox' . All games work fine.

1 issue .. each account is allowed to change the 'Home xbox' option a maximum of 3 times per year. (not per xbox.. it is 3 changes per account)

I hit this issue with the Skyrim saga. So after I was certain my account details were all secure to ONLY me. I went into live chat with xbox support and said someone hacked my account. I have nnow changed password and recovery email but have hit the limit of 3 changes and someone must have it set to another xbox. They reset the limit no questions and I have had no issues since :-)

Thanks to piggzy

EvilBoB (17th November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Might have to get my son in on this. The code for GoW4 was okay but the accounts are significantly cheaper.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    No they all work. I have games from loads of different accounts all set individually to 'This is my home xbox' . All games work fine.

1 issue .. each account is allowed to change the 'Home xbox' option a maximum of 3 times per year. (not per xbox.. it is 3 changes per account)

I hit this issue with the Skyrim saga. So after I was certain my account details were all secure to ONLY me. I went into live chat with xbox support and said someone hacked my account. I have nnow changed password and recovery email but have hit the limit of 3 changes and someone must have it set to another xbox. They reset the limit no questions and I have had no issues since :-)
    Ahh so I log in as the dummy account and set that account to home on my xbox and then delete the dummy account? As is a little annoying seeing this profile hanging about (little bit OCD)

Thanks to akimba

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have also done this several times. Im pretty sure i mentioned it on here before in reply to someone asking if it was "ok".

Thanks
    Karma Level

Steer clear of psngames.org - they have messed me around 3 times now with Forza Horizon 3 in the last 10 weeks. It keeps dying on the accounts they give me. They have now stopped responding to my requests. I've played it 9 times in total.

Doing this on Playstation is far easier than Microsoft. If the original account's password changes it doesn't matter on PS4, it will just stay there forever until you uninstall it/remove the original account it is attached to.

The PS4 account I had access to had a shit load of other top games on it so I grabbed them too - got 5 top games for about £23.

Thanks to crazyal

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah have seen people selling Playstation account with 10-15 top games on em for £40.... no such thing on Xbox.

Apparently Xbox shut em down immediately and it is only the 1 game accounts that don't get touched.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Never heard of this, cheers for the heads up.

Any suggestions of sites forPS4 accounts?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had some deals off here recently ...FACEBOOK... Yes I hate facebook too but it has it's uses.

You get some scammers on it but only trust 2 sellers. Will find the names and let you know if ur interested.

3 Thanks given to piggzy

crazyal (17th November 2016),  mitchb (17th November 2016),  Roty (21st November 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep, deffo interested in this info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast