Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

15 Major Retailers going bust in new year: your predictions??

I have a mate that works as a delivery driver at Comet and his bosses have warned everyone that their jobs are at stake and the store and distribution centre in Castleford might be closing after xmas. Not sure if this is a sign of bigger things or just a re-organisation/money saving exercise.

In the news its saying that 15 Major retailers could go under after xmas what do you think it will be?

i would say
    Comet (possibly)
    WHSmiths
    Jack Fultons
    Gamestation
    Dixons

And who will be safe and secure this time next year?

Fuckin poundland, where else would all the scrubbers get their xmas presents. j/k
    A wise man once said " "

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 15 Major Reatailers going bust in new year: your predictions??

Comet is on the danger list, WHSmiths is a more competant Woolworths but wouldn't call it safe, Zavvi is in trouble for the short term at least.

As for Dixons they are a clone of PC World and Currys due to being owned by the same group, IMO they need to be condensed into 1 or 2 chains. They also own the Link which they are integrating into PC World now so not sure if they plan to close the Link stores or just sell phones in both.

Candy King who supplied something like 4,000 tonnes of pick and mix to woolies anually are in trouble, woolies accounted for 40% of their orders.

I think shops like TK Maxx will do very well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was walking around town the other day and was shocked at how many stores are empty, having been closed or gone bust.

These are very worrying times. I mean it does'nt exactly fill you with confidence that we are in the worst recession for 70 years. There was a world war the year after.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    I was walking around town the other day and was shocked at how many stores are empty, having been closed or gone bust.

These are very worrying times. I mean it does'nt exactly fill you with confidence that we are in the worst recession for 70 years. There was a world war the year after.

Something to look forward to then lol
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think WHSmith's would be on the list and also Zavvi after seeing they stopped online orders last week due to supply issues.

Its certainly a time to be saving up rather than getting credit for new TV's etc so I can see why Comet etc would be struggling.

Thanks
    Karma Level

DFS hopefully and any other sofa company just so we don't have to put up with the fucking annoying adverts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My predictions (as a customer)

Harveys
    Dreams
    Comet
    SCS
    Focus Do-it-all
    British Home Stores (BHS)
    Littlewoods
    Moss Bros
    Jessops
    Fat Face (clothing)
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TIN CAN View Post
    Something to look forward to then lol
    Oh yeah!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post

In the news its saying that 15 Major retailers could go under after xmas what do you think it will be?
    Do you have any links for this wouldn't mind a read, haven't heard anything thats all.

DSG and Comet were talikng about a merger a while back so I'd have them in there as they both appear to be struggling.
    I hope Next goes the over priced tat, everything I have bought from there falls apart.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by purpleanimal23 View Post
    I hope Next goes the over priced tat, everything I have bought from there falls apart.
    For me though, the biggest white elephant on the high street is BHS. What is the fucking point of that store? the clothes are old fashioned whilst the prices are on par with M&S. The only thing they have going for them is their reasonably priced pic n mix (the pink pigs and strawberry whips are to die for)
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    For me though, the biggest white elephant on the high street is BHS. What is the fucking point of that store? the clothes are old fashioned whilst the prices are on par with M&S. The only thing they have going for them is their reasonably priced pic n mix (the pink pigs and strawberry whips are to die for)
    they have some decent lighting fixtures.. which are very modern that's about it. Although granny's buy from there all the time..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll give you that one, don't think I ever go in other than this time of year for the Christmas 'novelties' (Shite you wouldn't buy any other the time of the year unless your an idiot)

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry gti you got it wrong m8-i get all my clothes from bhs look http://www.buckstars.co.uk/images/ol...king-cigar.jpg

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 15 Major Retailers going bust in new year: your predictions??

I hope they all go under... bring back local shops for local people!

Greedy f--kin shareholders creaming off the profits year on year should be made liable and forced to get their hand in their pocket to bail their companies out not the taxpayer.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh yeah and apparently Aldi hope to make it big over the next few years. I am doubtful though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Oh yeah and apparently Aldi hope to make it big over the next few years. I am doubtful though.
    Maybe I don't know what is offically considered big, but I reckon they're already at the small end of being big and are only gonna get much bigger during these climates.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Serious Re: 15 Major Reatailers going bust in new year: your predictions??

Quote Originally Posted by purpleanimal23 View Post
    Do you have any links for this wouldn't mind a read, haven't heard anything thats all.

DSG and Comet were talikng about a merger a while back so I'd have them in there as they both appear to be struggling.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

theres a few links there m8y, i watched it on sky news though so might have an item on their website. ill look for you in a short while
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hopefully DSG group will go bust (Curry's,Dixon's,PC world,link) fooking hate that group.

I would say watch out for Boots & Halfrauds both part of kingfisher group if i remember correctly.

Hopefully small local shops with some established customers will weather the storm.

Hopefully phones4u will go as well

Motor industry and its suppliers are really buggered and second hand car prices and parts will go up because of this.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Maybe I don't know what is offically considered big, but I reckon they're already at the small end of being big and are only gonna get much bigger during these climates.
    Well the perspn who told me is a manager of a local store I met down the pub. He reckons they plan to be competing with morrisons and the like.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I sincerely hope CARPHONE WAREHOUSE will be the first to fall!!! these theiving ripping off bastards deserve to go under.

I bought a samsung mobile phone from them for my daughter last year, i then went in 2 days later and bought a hands free kit. it was in a presentation package, case, hands free kit etc. now the assistant grabbed one from in the store not from display and at quick glance all looked ok, its my fault for not checking fully. when i got home i got all the presents out to wrap and i noticed the hands free dongle was missing out of the presentation box. it was in the bottom of the bag and i checked everything else - theres no way it could have got out.
    the only thing that could have happened is that it was missing when the assistant put it in my bag.

i went back in and explained but the assistant said theres nothing they can do so i asked for a manager, an asian guy came out and from the start i could tell he just did not give a flying fook.

i asked to ring head office from the store and they said theres nothing they were prepared to do.

in short i had to be removed from the store, my mate was the security guard in the ridings where the store is based and he was one who was called so out of respect to him i could not do anything and had to leave.

even though it was not that much - around £60 it was the principal of the thing.

i even went to the vodafone store accross the landing and bought another one from there as i had prmised my daughter one for xmas and i showed them.

In short do not visit carphone warehouse they are a bunch of ripping off twats who dont give a damn.

i pray these fookers go under.

Vodafone was even sympathetic and they discounted the hands free kit for me, it made me wish i had gone there instead.
    A wise man once said " "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast