Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default polo gear box problem

driving my car tonight and went to pull away at the lights and it wouldnt go into 1st gear, i tried pushing it really hard putting all my strengh onto it and it wasnt budging so continued the drive home moving of in 2nd gear which wasnt a problem but obviously this isnt good, havnt got a clue about cars apart from i will never by a VW again as i have had nothing but trouble from this car and its only on a 52 plate, if i could sell it tommorow i would.

any idears on cost of a worst case senario?

cheers people

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: polo gear box problem

i know the very slightly older polos have gear box troubles, heard of them needing new ones around 40k and such, but then the reviews i read also listed gear selection as being a problem so i think that may be caused in part by retards mincing them around (not saying that's what you've done of course)

another thing i got from the reviews is that half the polos run to a reasonable mileage and never give any hassle (like mine) and half of them are broken every single day. must be an extreme case of friday syndrome or something that they have. most people will admit that modern volkswagens tend to need fixing quite a lot, but the car itself will continue long into the future (or so they say). does yours have any amusing electrical glitches? they are famous for those. in mine the electric window goes half way up, then goes back down a bit, then goes the rest of the way up, and if the engine is off and keys out, and you turn on the headlights then pull the fullbeam lever halfway all the electrics(fan and radio and stuff) come on. the one thing that has gone properly wrong with mine is a flat battery too, that was fecking annoying. hop in the car and turn the key and it just moans at you.

anyway, that doesn't help you much. as little as i know about cars, i think if its just one of the gears then its something called the linkages that are fucked rather than the whole thing, so it wont cost as much. i could be and probably am wrong though
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most Polo's larger than 1.0L suffer gearbox problems of some sorts. If you look at the gearbox you will see why. Basically they are tiny like a toy and would probably be too small for a smart car. Diesels are the worst offenders but anything with a 1.2 or bigger the casing tends to split around the diff and the oil runs out causing failure, replacement normally being the cheapest option.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for all the advice! sound like VW is not as good a brand as a once fought!, mine is 50K so sounds about rihgt fo rwhat two planks was saying its a 1.2 so all what you two are saying tys in, makes me ill, as for the electrics i never knew it was a polo/vw thing just assumed it was another glich with my motor, sometimes my window buttons will switch sides, ie i have controll over both sides being the driver but some days the one on the left will do the right and so forth, this was a right mind fuck the first time as i was trying to remember weather it had allways been like it, also the AC light flickers all the time, and the interior light has been known to come on by its self, i booked it in at a VW garage today for monday, ill let everyone know what the damage is!

Thanks
    Karma Level

just got the car back from VW, they wanted 1500 to replace the gearbox, or 700 to take it apart and see what is wrong with it, makes me sick, told them where to stick it, drove it home, and as i got to my street it refused to go from 2nd to third, then i parked up in second and it now refused to go into any gear other than 2nd, not even reverse! really fucked off. called them up spoke to the manager and they are coming to me on thursday to look at it again at my place. bloody joke, do the prices seem ok?