Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech how to read data from a HDD with Win 10 from a caddy?

Hi all

Just picked a laptop that's 'dead'. Got the hard drive out and put it in my caddy (Docking station) and hooked it up to my laptop running win 10.

Now this HDD that i'm trying to read / extract data from is also win10 BUT my laptop cant read it when it's hooked up to a caddy and connected via usb. It doesn't even see the drive - although Hard disk sentinel can see it from within win10 and reports it as healthy.

If i stick the HDD into another laptop as the bootable HDD it boots and i can access the data but i want to be able to do it hooked up to my machine on a USB caddy.

I've tested the caddy and it works fine with hdds with win 7.

Any thoughts on how to read win 10 drives via caddy / docking station?

cheers
    MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: how to read data from a HDD with Win 10 from a caddy?

I'm having that issue too! Be interested in a solution!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't really help with the issue but if you can boot the drive in a laptop can't you just use a USB or the network to transfer the data off?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Different situation for me I have a 3.5 drive that's I need to do a scan on and it isn't recognised in a caddy on my laptop
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can do that beerman but I've not always got a spare laptop around to do it with if i want.
    Also as Nibb says, if i get it 3.5" drive i'm stuffed as well.

I cant seem to find an answer anywhere at the moment although i am searching hard!

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thats interesting, not something i have come across myself,

are the drives showing up in Disk Manager on Windows?
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It shows up on mine but it's inaccessible
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes they show on disk manager and Hard disk sentinel.
    However they don't show in windows explorer or any data recovery tools.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

found this:

I had this problem on my laptop but not on my desktop. Windows 8.1 recognised the second drive on the laptop but 10 didn't.
    Brief solution - the "best" drivers for the AHCI controller in my laptop were the Microsoft ones & update driver did not suggest a better. I manually installed the vendor's drivers (AMD in my case) and after a reboot the drive was recognised & functions fine. Hope this helps anyone else.
    The MS drivers for the desktop obviously worked fine - the desktop hardware is new, though, whereas the laptop is five years old.
    Edit: Also seen that removing the USB drivers and reinstalling has fixed it for some people, however beware you might want to install teamviewer or similar first as removing USB drivers will stop your Keyboard and Mouse from working so you can still access remotely
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had the same problem, I use a SATA internal docking station, when using some drives (come to think of it I believe they are all Win 10 although some may be Win 8) Disk Management won't load the list until the drive is disconnected and same goes for CrystalDiskInfo. Oddly enough when the drive is disconnected Crystal runs and displays the drive. I suspected it was to do with Secure Boot but perhaps it is a Win 10 thing. I hadn't looked into it yet, all I needed to do was erase these drives so I was going to boot to PartedMagic, see if I can clear the partition and then try in Windows again as a test.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Partition magic can see the drives when connected to my caddy / dock and can format etc.

Updating the sata controller drivers on my Lenovo made no difference.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, so I spoke to one of the senior tech's here and he said it could be down to encryption on the drive?
    As such you will need to put the drive back into the original PC to read the contents,
    he mentioned 2 levels of encryption, 1 is a standard password so can be unlocked with the correct password on any PC, the other is hardware encrypted and if thats the case it will need the original PC it came from to get the data.

Not sure if its whats happening with you guys but thats what he told me it could be so just passing it on

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My drive is out of an old Xbox that I had xbmc on so I'm fooked![emoji23][emoji23]
    Karl Pilkington

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    OK, so I spoke to one of the senior tech's here and he said it could be down to encryption on the drive?
    As such you will need to put the drive back into the original PC to read the contents,
    he mentioned 2 levels of encryption, 1 is a standard password so can be unlocked with the correct password on any PC, the other is hardware encrypted and if thats the case it will need the original PC it came from to get the data.

Not sure if its whats happening with you guys but thats what he told me it could be so just passing it on
    I'm not sure if this is it, as far as I know bitlocker is not enabled by default and usually an encrypted drive shows as raw (or another status but nonetheless it shows) in disk management. For hardware encryption I think you need a TPM chip in your kit and would have enabled it or I think an OPAL drive which has inbuilt encryption. None of this is true in my case, I had a brief search on Google about slaving a windows 10 drive but not much relevant info came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    My drive is out of an old Xbox that I had xbmc on so I'm fooked![emoji23][emoji23]
    Your issue is possibly the file system, anyone know the format for Xbox? Been so long since I had my Xbox with XBMC! Are you trying to do a health scan?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Format for X-Box HDD is FAT-X

Look on Eurasia - they seem to have one you can download but you will need to register

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I'm not sure if this is it, as far as I know bitlocker is not enabled by default and usually an encrypted drive shows as raw (or another status but nonetheless it shows) in disk management. For hardware encryption I think you need a TPM chip in your kit and would have enabled it or I think an OPAL drive which has inbuilt encryption. None of this is true in my case, I had a brief search on Google about slaving a windows 10 drive but not much relevant info came up.

Your issue is possibly the file system, anyone know the format for Xbox? Been so long since I had my Xbox with XBMC! Are you trying to do a health scan?
    No trying to recover video files that may or may not be on there - they were vob files
    Karl Pilkington

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    No trying to recover video files that may or may not be on there - they were vob files
    Are these VOB files on a hard drive that's been formatted for Xbox though? Is the drive recognised in disk management? If it's recognised then I believe testdisk or photorec support Xbox drives so try using those and see if you can lost the contents or photorec lets you choose the extensions to recover so you can select just vob.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still no solutions that I've found.
    I've recovered the data I needed but only because I had the password and a spare laptop to put the drive in.

Still unable to put the drive in a docking station and read it like you could with Win7 or earlier whether passworded or not.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is still really pissing me off. I can't seem to read any drives easily now. I have to use data recovery like EASEUS to get info off a drive that i'm certain is working. (In win 7 it was just a case of hooking up the drive to the caddy and bingo. Annoying thing is that i removed win 7 from dual booting on my laptop.)

Also tried allocating a drive letter in Disk Management but without joy. This is a real PIA.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The problem is due to win10 using the GPT partitioning system. I dont remember if or how to get around it, but try hooking the drive onto a spare sata port rather than via usb.